Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car revs

Aniotod

Hi guys can anybody help me figure this out. I have a Toyota Avensis d4d 2008 model. My cars revs go slightly up and down at idle when I have passengers in the car feels like the car is trying harder to maintain the weight or something but when I am driving by myself the rev stays at where it should when idle and feels like there's no issue at all only when I have heavy load in the vehicle it does. Anyone have a diagnostic or solution. Thanks 

Hey!

Just so we're clear, this happens when the car is cold, hot, or both?

Another question, does the rev wandering occurs only when car is stationary? What happens if you start driving or cruising, no rev changes there?

Is the car okay otherwise? No power loss, no smoke, all liquids at their optimal levels?

Was this always like this or it only started doing it recently?

• Thanks 1

Hi Byzii, i am not 100% sure but I would guess when it gets hot. It only happens when stationary but when I start driving everything seems normal revs working like they should gear change is fine no smoke no bad smell all liquids at optimal level just had serviced few weeks back. I've only noticed this recently so probably for about a week now. But like I say whenever I drive by myself it doesn't do any of that. What do you suggest? Thank you for your response 

All three avensis ive owned have done it when cold, they’re all petrol but it’s never had a detrimental affect on the car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, thom_jones said:

All three avensis ive owned have done it when cold, they’re all petrol but it’s never had a detrimental affect on the car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fail to understand how the car senses that there's extra weight in the back of the car and why on earth would the revs jump around for that reason? At idle, too.

• Thanks 1

Yes really baffles me this wish I knew what it was I drive a lot by myself never happens and take staff around different locations and this happens. It feels like the cars trying harder to keep normal revs at stationary at them times. Thanks for your responses. 

Do you tend to run the aircon more, or on a lower temperature setting, when you have passengers in the car? That will make the revs increase and reduce as the aircon compressor cuts in and out. Try turning the aircon off next time it happens and see if that makes any difference?

There's nothing in an Avensis which could change the stationary idle speed according to weight in the car, so it must be coincidence. The only car I've known where that would be the case was a Citroen with self levelling suspension!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links