Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing privacy tinted glass windows to clear or vice versa on avensis t27 2011

avensisd4d786

I would like to share my experience with you guys.

I have recently bought a 2011 Avensis tourer 2.0 d4d to use as a taxi.

it came with privacy/tinted glass from factory. the council does not allow this for passenger safety.

I sourced some windows from a breakers yard from a 2012 model. 2012 is the facelift model. so the glass is the same in the preface lift and face lift model.

the rear quarter(boot) and tailgate glass had to be removed professionally as its bonded. I used the same guy who the breakers yard used to save on labour costs.

the door glass I changed at home with the removal of the door card. 

I am now left with privacy glass if anyone is interested in purchasing please get in touch, i will attach before and after photos.

I would like to say thank you to Konrad for the moral support and help.

1 (2).jpg

rear.jpg

37366124_2076378145706394_2960836624344154112_n (1).jpg

37293772_2076378092373066_4250881337902235648_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pretty extreme having to change the boot & quarter panel glass as well as the rear doors, here in Ireland I only needed to change the rear door glass and I was pretty peed off having to do even that much,but in hindsight it does make sense as now an intending passenger can see into the car before getting in.

• Thanks 2

would of been alot happier and cheaper if it was only the rear door glass.

5 hours ago, Taxi501 said:

Pretty extreme having to change the boot & quarter panel glass as well as the rear doors, here in Ireland I only needed to change the rear door glass and I was pretty peed off having to do even that much,but in hindsight it does make sense as now an intending passenger can see into the car before getting in.

Changing the rear door glass is one thing, but having to change the rear quarter panel glass seems particularly harsh when you consider that the saloon version doesn't even have a window in that position! 

Unfortunately it seems that in England every council is allowed to make up their own rules on taxi specifications. Some don't care in the least about rear privacy glass whilst others go to these ridiculous extremes. 

• Like 1

Hi, have you still got the privacy windows and also do you think they will fit on a 2015 saloon model?

8 hours ago, RamzanA said:

Hi, have you still got the privacy windows and also do you think they will fit on a 2015 saloon model?

The rear doors are a different shape. The saloon slopes, whilst the estate is more squared. Still, check with avensisd4d786 to confirm. 

Hi, I still have the windows. Konrad is right. Estate windows are different to saloon 

Thanks for the reply guys. Really helpful 🙂