Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattling sound over tiny dings in the road

Tee786Avensis

Hi folks,

I have a 2010 avensis and have noticed a rattling sound coming from the front tire area. Whenever I hit a tiny ding on the road, whether it's a pothole or an uneven surface, I can hear a rattle coming from the front suspension area. I was told it's the link rods that are failing so I changed them which has helped a littleand feels more sturdy and seems to have ironed out this rattle a little but it's still there. Also I've noticed when coasting downhill and covering the brakes lightly seems to eradicate this rattle. So it's as if the rattle appears when I'm not covering the brakes but disappears when I have my foot on the brake pedal? Not really sure what's causing this and it's really annoying. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've seen this issue posted here before, I think you'll find it's the sliders from the front calipers. They wear and rattle but breaking stops it temporarily. Ian

I’ve just replaced the front caliper slider pins to fix the same rattle. Check the price at the dealers & then check with brakeparts.co.uk

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Toyota/Avensis/09-/Avensis 2.0 Diesel Turbo/Front - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders/BCF1355

you might , like my son did, find them cheaper on Amazon due to the cost of postage to Ireland that brakeparts were charging 

so far so good as far as the rattle goes 

I agree it'l be your slider pins, I've had this on three Avensis.  Greasing them up will probably cure it for a while but it'll come back.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the pins and it's solved the problem. Thank you for your help lads 

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2018 at 9:54 PM, Taxi501 said:

I’ve just replaced the front caliper slider pins to fix the same rattle. Check the price at the dealers & then check with brakeparts.co.uk

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Toyota/Avensis/09-/Avensis 2.0 Diesel Turbo/Front - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders/BCF1355

you might , like my son did, find them cheaper on amazon due to the cost of postage to Ireland that brakeparts were charging

so far so good as far as the rattle goes

Hi, 

Digging up an old thread.

I wonder if the new slider pins was a long term solution for you?

My 2009 T4 also has the brake rattle, and I am going to get the kit you linked if it worked out for you

Thanks

9 hours ago, Cmar-Ireland said:

Hi, 

Digging up an old thread.

I wonder if the new slider pins was a long term solution for you?

My 2009 T4 also has the brake rattle, and I am going to get the kit you linked if it worked out for you

Thanks

If you are sure your car has the brake rattle, then just buy the kit. It's not expensive, but if you are not sure, buy the silicon grease and apply. If silent after application, then you have your answer. Then you could do as Alan did and re-apply the grease when necessary, which hopefully is a long time. Also helps stop seizing, another effect of lack of lubrication!   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links