Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo headlamp upgrade.

paulie b

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has fitted more powerful bulbs to the Aygo's headlights? (I presume they aren't sealed units).  Driving along unlit country roads at night, I would like more 'oomph' from my main/high beam. Something which throws light further down the road. Has anyone fitted such bulbs and how effective are they.

I usually run with the fog lights on in the dead of night when no-one else is about as they illuminate the sides of the road, which is important in many circumstances. Obviously these are turned off and the lights dipped if I encounter any oncoming traffic.  

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The majority of LED bulbs are road legal for use in the UK.

I think that you meant NOT legal for road use ...

Sorry yes

.... and if you're a TOC premium member, you can get a further 15% off using the Halfords discount card.

• 2 weeks later...

Look into fitting HID. 

Halogen on projector housing does not give a good light output, on reflectors are a little better. 

2 hours ago, 007matt said:

Look into fitting HID.

Aftermarket HID kits aren't road legal in the UK, and with the MOT changes in May could result in an MOT fai!ure.

That really don't bother me. Light directed in the right housing for it, no different from factory install. I had cars with hid from 10 years ago and would never go standard halogen. It's horrid driving at night on unlit roads in the countryside. 

As for it may fail an MOT due to recent changes, again no problem, swap back to original halogen bulbs

Whether it bothers you is irrelevant.

It may well bother the member who is seeking advice on this topic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 007matt said:

Light directed in the right housing for it, no different from factory install.

thats the issue there isn't a correct housing / lens for hids that have been retro fitted.

all i can say is i'm glad i dont live in essex so i'll never get blinded by someone who

isn't bothered, any modifications that make a car dangerous to drive or dangerous

to other road users should be taken off the road until repairs have been carried out

if the owners persisits on making the same change crush the car

9 hours ago, 007matt said:

Look into fitting HID. 

Halogen on projector housing does not give a good light output, on reflectors are a little better. 

for the driver maybe, for oncoming traffic worse ...

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

for the driver maybe, for oncoming traffic worse ...

U r right.

Until car manufacturers start to include HID or Led as standard, folks in the countryside will continue to suffer from poor headlights brightness. Especially so when the dip and main beam is on the same bulb. 

Manufacturers are still charging a premium for these better tech £500-1000 when it doesn't cost that much.  I drive to the countryside often and on the same bulb halogen high low is horrid on these projectors. Ok Toyota have the optiwhite giving maybe 1800-2000 lumens at £45. It's still well short of my hid 55w with around 4000 lumens. 

Whilst driving in the dark (unlit country lanes) and into oncoming traffic, I found that I was dazzled by a few vehicles showing very bright lights. At first I thought they were the usual inconsiderate loons who don't dip their headlights. However, as a result of this thread, I suspect they were were people using illegal lights. 

The solution I am seeking to my own problem must be legal as well as effective.

25 minutes ago, paulie b said:

Whilst driving in the dark (unlit country lanes) and into oncoming traffic, I found that I was dazzled by a few vehicles showing very bright lights. At first I thought they were the usual inconsiderate loons who don't dip their headlights. However, as a result of this thread, I suspect they were were people using illegal lights. 

The solution I am seeking to my own problem must be legal as well as effective.

Aftermarkets hids in projectors are just the same as factory hid in directional light output. U will still get dazzle from bright lights as gradients on road can contribute, whether legal or not legal. 

Your only option is to install brighter halogens as mentioned in this thread. 

3 hours ago, eygo said:

thats the issue there isn't a correct housing / lens for hids that have been retro fitted.

all i can say is i'm glad i dont live in essex so i'll never get blinded by someone who

isn't bothered, any modifications that make a car dangerous to drive or dangerous

to other road users should be taken off the road until repairs have been carried out

if the owners persisits on making the same change crush the car

U are entitled to your opinion, it doesn't make u right. From what u are saying it seems like u never had experience of HiD on projectors. Because if u did u would not say it's a dangerous mod. It's a safety enhancement. 

# U will not get blinded by my headlights btw no more so like factory fitted cars.#

the safety aspect for the driver is a positive being able to see further

but its the oncoming road user that suffers from being dazzled by your headlights

i've never had hid profectors my car has led headlights as standard.

to have hid's legally you need the following :-

1) lens certified for the hid bulb type

2) headlight washers

3) self leveling headlights

so to retro fit legally isn't a viable option

I get dazzled by factory Hids and Leds too due to various factors involved in driving. Does it means we should not have it? 

I know I rather have 4000 lumens properly directed lights than 1200 lumens properly directed lights. 

Anyway each to their own.

U can perfectly retrofit Hids btw, by buying the factory headlight units with hid. 

does that come with the headlight washers and the self leveling system

i dont think so ,so there still not for road use.

when blinding another vehicle's driver this could lead to the driver having a horrific accident

by still having the dots in the eyes and not being able to see for a short length of time.

Unless I'm mistaken the unit will include self leveling, if the unit doesn't have the washers this can be retrofitted too. 

I have seen these debates more than 10 years ago, so nothing new there. 

Like I said each to their own on this. 

do any of  aygo's have self leveling headlights i thought they all had a dial on the inside to raise / lower the headlight