Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty tailgate

Terence77

This is my 2013 Yaris not good.i bought car at 3 yrs old and spotted a few weeks later rust stain on tailgate took back to Toyota they repainted the tailgate.2 yrs and 2 months later rust was back but worse this time out of warranty had to ring Toyota customer services about 12 times 3 months later they finally answered my question they would pay half of cost of repair totally useless  they bodged the paint job then as soon as it's out of warranty it's see you later to rust at 3 years old then come back 2 years later is totally unacceptable poor quality Toyota won't buy another 😥

IMG_20180721_150133587_HDR.jpg

Toyotas have three warranties:

1. A five year/100,000 mile warranty new car warranty.

2. A 12 year anti corrosion and perforation warranty - cover that protects against rust perforation affecting sheet metal body panels as a result of a manufacturing fault. 

3. A three year paintwork and surface rust warranty -  cover protects against defects and surface rust as a result of a manufacturing defect

Presumably as the tailgate doesn't appear to be perforated, the initial repair was done under the three year paintwork and surface rust warranty. As this warranty is only for a period of three years, this is why Toyota have declined to cover the full cost of repair on a car more than two years outside this warranty. However, they have offered to cover half of the cost.

Other manufacturers may or may not make a similar offer for a repair outside the relevant warranty.

• Like 1

Moved to the Yaris club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terence77 said:

This is my 2013 Yaris not good.i bought car at 3 yrs old

Can I ask where the car was first registered and if you are the second owner?

Where a car has lived and been used makes a vast difference.

Just coz you live somewhere dry and warm, doesn't mean that the car has spent some of its young life somewhere damp and salty with salted gritty roads.

Mick

I wonder did ur car have a we shunt to the rear at some point and maybe a spurious (hope I spelt that right) boot lid was fitted. I fitted a non genuine bonnet on an old avensis once, and rust wasn't long making an appearance. Maybe fit a second hand boot lid getting it sprayed etc. 

12 hours ago, Mick F said:

Can I ask where the car was first registered and if you are the second owner?

Where a car has lived and been used makes a vast difference.

Just coz you live somewhere dry and warm, doesn't mean that the car has spent some of its young life somewhere damp and salty with salted gritty roads.

Mick

Hi yes I was second owner it's owner lived in Northallerton not by the sea.as for salty roads all UK roads get gritted.problem I have is three months for Toyota to get back to me with answer and a 3 year old car rusting with original tailgate and never been bumped as stated by dealer who repaired it now I have to change car all pretty poor.ps dealer said it was a known fault.

IMG_20180721_145556941_HDR.jpg

My tailgate also has rust problems. The paintwork here is inferior to my 18 year old Vauxhall and is more like my 38 year old British Leyland car. On the Vauxhall, if there is a breach in the paintwork, rust will not spread under the good paint. On the Yaris, you can see the tendrils of rust spreading out under good paint - shocking in this day and age.

You can see tendrils on the first of Terence77's photos.

mine is not as bad as yours but i do have some just araound the camera hole, the bottom of which i wiped off and repainted and the ones inside i sprayed with a thick layer of white lithium grease, im certainly not taking it to toyota if this is the shoddy job they do, they cant even be bothered replacing a fully coroded bottom hose clamp and they didnt want to replace my timing chain with a loud rattle either until i pushed it through, i think french built cars are really sub standard, my uk built honda jazz was rust free everywhere when i sold it at 6 years old so i will be taking my business away from toyota for my next car

just a quick question for you Terrence77, did you have any issues removing the plastic panel in the boot to gain access to the back of the camera and boot trim strip eg any broken plastic clips? thanks

10 hours ago, Terence77 said:

Hi yes I was second owner it's owner lived in Northallerton not by the sea.as for salty roads all UK roads get gritted.

Not all roads, or should I say that some area of UK get gritted more than others due to the colder winters there. Northeast of England have much harsher winters than the Northwest for instance. We lived in the east of Scotland for some years, and it was a huge problem, but down here in the Far Southwest, we don't have harsh winters at all and consequently we don't get or need gritted roads very often.

We've had our Yaris for just on twelve months now, and the rear end of it is the dirtiest car I've ever owned.  The tailgate area gets absolutely filthy, so I'm in no doubt that salty winter roads will take it out on the tailgate.  Any weaknesses in the paintwork will make it rust.

None of this helps you though.  Sorry.

Mick.

• Thanks 1

Probably a silly question and maybe not related to this thread. But how is the paintwork on the rest of the car? I have heard that there are wrong and right ways to wash a car. Such as weekly automated car washes and washing up liquid can destroy the protective layers on paint unless they are waxed especially the rear end as the previous post has stated and quotes about any weakness in the paintwork....

If the tailgate is like that how does the bottom rear look like?

13 hours ago, Mike J. said:

My tailgate also has rust problems. The paintwork here is inferior to my 18 year old Vauxhall and is more like my 38 year old British Leyland car. On the Vauxhall, if there is a breach in the paintwork, rust will not spread under the good paint. On the Yaris, you can see the tendrils of rust spreading out under good paint - shocking in this day and age.

You can see tendrils on the first of Terence77's photos.

hi mike

where is your rust on the tailgate? is it from the camera hole like mine is?

thanks

The camera hole has the beginnings of visible rust and rust tendrils. There are 2 small stone chip sized rust spots (although rust began underneath and not via a stone chip) where rust tendrils are spreading remorselessly. My guess is that the priming (etch prime?) was not done correctly. Note that my 13+ year ownership Vauxhalls have no similar rust problems.

8 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

The camera hole has the beginnings of visible rust and rust tendrils. There are 2 small stone chip sized rust spots (although rust began underneath and not via a stone chip) where rust tendrils are spreading remorselessly. My guess is that the priming (etch prime?) was not done correctly. Note that my 13+ year ownership Vauxhalls have no similar rust problems.

thanks for reply, what are you going to do about your rust ? are you going to a bodyshop?

Nothing yet, I am used to a bit of rust having a BL car 🙄

Hi I'm not going to paint it over i t cutted it and used touch up pen going to get shut of it.ps had three Corsa,s before the Yaris kept one for six years amazingly none had any rust I think Toyota should cover this fault I suspect it's the foam gasket round the camera although that doesn't explain rust on other side never mind bring on new corsa.

18 minutes ago, Terence77 said:

Hi I'm not going to paint it over i t cutted it and used touch up pen going to get shut of it.ps had three Corsa,s before the Yaris kept one for six years amazingly none had any rust I think Toyota should cover this fault I suspect it's the foam gasket round the camera although that doesn't explain rust on other side never mind bring on new corsa.

i think it is a design fault as the gasket is on the inside and not the outside like the number plate lights and the boot handle so road debris and salt etc can get in behind the lip of the metal and start to eat away the edge as when you wash the car you cant get much water in there because of the camera in the way so it never gets fully clean, i wonder if they redesigned the boot camera hole in the latest facelift yaris to get rid of this problem

anyway i hope you have better luck with your corsa, i dont know what my next car will be as the choices are limited

can you tell me was it easy to take the panel in the boot off without breaking any clips? and it looks like the trim piece comes off as one with the boot handle?

thanks for your help

On 7/21/2018 at 10:54 PM, Terence77 said:

This is my 2013 Yaris not good.i bought car at 3 yrs old and spotted a few weeks later rust stain on tailgate took back to Toyota they repainted the tailgate.2 yrs and 2 months later rust was back but worse this time out of warranty had to ring Toyota customer services about 12 times 3 months later they finally answered my question they would pay half of cost of repair totally useless  they bodged the paint job then as soon as it's out of warranty it's see you later to rust at 3 years old then come back 2 years later is totally unacceptable poor quality Toyota won't buy another 😥

IMG_20180721_150133587_HDR.jpg

That is really terrible! I'd be gutted if that was mine. I once had a similar problem on my Corolla gti, the tailgate started rusting around the rear screen and rear wiper aperture when it was about 3 years old, Mr T repaired it under warranty but it was soon back after a couple of years. I saw loads of the same model doing the same thing must have been a design fault. I can't believe they're making the same mistakes all over again.

You can see what is happening water is getting under the paint work around the edges where it is darker. And the rain is dragging the rust down.

13 hours ago, m456an said:

You can see what is happening water is getting under the paint work around the edges where it is darker. And the rain is dragging the rust down.

its a poor design to have an open hole like that, it should have a cover over the hole on the outside like the number plate lights and the boot handle, the rain and dirt in the winter gets behind the edge and rusts from the back as it is hard to clean in that area (where there is a gasket around the back on the camera) but not flush to the edge of the metal , it needs totally re-designing it would be so easy to do, i havent checked the latest yaris to see if they still have the same design but i do hope they have it completely re-designed for the next yaris in a couple of years time

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links