Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Washer Jets Spray Issue

Hi guys,

I have a slight issue where my washers are only spraying inwards and not outwards aswell like they normally do.

I thought it might have been the T connector that splits the windscreen wash fluid between the two jets, so I replaced that but I still have this issue.

Could the jets themselves be damaged? or do I just need to clean them out somehow?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Kansai

20180722_183142-01.thumb.jpeg.1b55fbf0f21e5999f119288d96e67e5a.jpeg

I normally clean the jets out with a small pin as they sometimes get blocked.

If these are the moulded plastic do-dahs then use a very small child's paintbrush that has stiff nylon bristles and try and give it a good twirl around. Get the bristles into the opening. You can also apply a bathroom cleaner to the brush to dissolve limescale. You may need several attempts to get it back to as new.

Intermittently poor spray pattern has been the single biggest issue I have had with my Auris but the fix is really simple once you know.  

Thanks for the help guys.

I tried white vinegar and used an iPhone sim pin which eventually broke, but nothing seems to have worked.

Last resort is to buy 2x of the oem washer jets from Toyota (85381-28220) for £17.44 each! 

You do have to be very determined with your attempts to clear them. The first time this happened I used a can of 'air duster' from Poundland. If you invert the can it works as freezer spray (they are just butane I believe). Its not easy pressing the straw against the opening but eventually it cleared, but now I find the nylon brushes work every time although not always first time. Jab the bristles into the hole and keep twizzing them around, again and again and again. Have someone sit in the car and operate the washers if needed (mind the wipers).

I don't think there is anything in the nozzle that can break, they are like a 3D plastic printed part.

Capture.JPG.66f3d646115ef8f4c4cc8be4417e07af.JPG

Those jets are ceramic, and very difficult to clear as they don't work like an old traditional washer jet. These new type jets fire considerably more water at the screen with a lot more power, probably best to replace them. Going forward always ensure you use a quality screen wash which helps to keep the jet clean, dont use the likes of washing up liquid which clog up (Yes plenty of people still do this) 

Kingo :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Thanks Kingo. I've based all my comments on the Auris jets which look similar-ish to these. Whatever is fitted though, I would be extremely reluctant to part with £35 for a new set unless I was absolutely certain there was no hope of resurrecting the old ones. Fwiw, the picture in post #1 looks exactly like the weird kind of spray pattern the Auris jets degenerate into. Lots of water shooting a few inches up the screen.

Try the compressed air trick.

Capture.JPG

Yes you can sometimes get away with the compressed air trick, but usually have to replace them in the end, like the Auris, you can get them in -1 degree, 0 degree and plus 1 degree aim 

Kingo :thumbsup:

Good evening gents,

Thanks for the advice so far, I've tried with a small nylon brush but with no luck.

I have the Auris aswell with the washers hidden beneath the bonnet, and although they both look very similar, the opening where the fluid comes out from is slightly different.

Anyway, off to the dealers to order a new set. :<

Good luck with the replacements (and I would hang on to the old ones to).  

• 3 years later...
9 minutes ago, Gulyatt said:

Do the washers have to work properly for the MOT?

Yes.

M.O.T. visibility

Washers must provide enough fluid for the wipers to clear the windscreen effectively.

Can you remove the washer jets and dunk them in some vinegar to dissolve any limescale which may be present?

Extract from MOT inspection manual:

"You do not need to inspect windscreen washers on vehicles with:

an opening windscreen
some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view through the windscreen to the front, left and right

Washers must provide enough fluid for the wipers to clear the windscreen effectively.

Defect  Category
(a) Windscreen washers not working or not providing sufficient fluid to clear the windscreen  - Major."

A far cry from a friend of mine in the East Lands at night in a Ford Consul and a squeegy bottle out of the quarter light.

A while ago I had an issue with my windscreen washer spray pattern. One side was spraying lower down the screen than the other. I tried using the thin needle in the nozzle outlet trick - but to no avail. I then read somewhere that the culprit is normally the tee-junction plastic housing located under the bonnet. Apparently inside the housing is an anti-drain valve which prevents the washer fluid draining back down into the washer bottle. This is to prevent a delay in the time for the washer fluid to exit the nozzles the next time the windscreen washer is operated. 

My T sells them for approx £18 which when you look at the part - it really is hard to justify it's cost. I bought one on eBay for about £5. Whether it had the correct anti drain valve inside I don't know. But the plastic housing is absolutely identical to the original item. It worked fine.  Hope this helps.