Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Old Yaris Hybrid versus new smallish diesel

Mike J.

We had a rented Vauxhall Mokka X diesel for a week and it seemed to give similar mpg as our Yaris - 65mpg. So, what are the differences if you are tempted to the dark side? The diesel is a diesel, it was a manual, it had noisy stop start, the cruise control didn't work downhill (no engine braking on a diesel) and the aircon stopped when in stop mode (stop start). So, it is not an option for me and does seem to point to the demise of the diesel engine over the next 10 years or so.

49 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

We had a rented Vauxhall Mokka X diesel for a week and it seemed to give similar mpg as our Yaris - 65mpg. So, what are the differences if you are tempted to the dark side? The diesel is a diesel, it was a manual, it had noisy stop start, the cruise control didn't work downhill (no engine braking on a diesel) and the aircon stopped when in stop mode (stop start). So, it is not an option for me and does seem to point to the demise of the diesel engine over the next 10 years or so.

I would choose Hybrid over Diesel every time, for exactly the reasons you state. There is something quite endearing about silent near zero emmision motoring,  and the knowledge that Toyota's finest have produced a cutting edge motor and engine. If you drive within the limits and expected behaviours for UK motoring, the Yaris Hybrid is more than sufficient and capable. 

To date, I have done over 110,000 miles driving hybrids this last 6 years , economical and reliable for every mile. 

Full on EVs may be the future, but no competition yet to hybrids. As for diesel - blighted and damned to near extinction. 

• Like 1

There is still a place for diesel for people who do long journeys at speed on motorways etc. (think sales reps). Petrol hybrids can't yet compete for mpg under those conditions.

The latest EU6 engines are pretty clean  & the people using under the above conditions will probably have cars that are leased & changed over whilst still under warranty so not likely to incur additional maintenance expense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

There is still a place for diesel for people who do long journeys at speed on motorways etc. (think sales reps). Petrol hybrids can't yet compete for mpg under those conditions.

The latest EU6 engines are pretty clean  & the people using under the above conditions will probably have cars that are leased & changed over whilst still under warranty so not likely to incur additional maintenance expense.

Speed on motorways long distance?  Legally?

I drove from here to Bedford and back last Friday.  504miles total and my Yaris Hybrid returned 64.8mpg overall using cruise control for much of the drive set at 65mph.

65mph is fast enough, but I had to take control and get to 70+ for overtaking etc and a few times on the A roads I had to floor the throttle to get past lorries etc.  I never checked the miles per gallon part way or in any of the sections, but A30/M5/M4 sections must have returned higher than 64.8mph I'm sure.

Good enough I reckon.

Mick.

• Like 1

The difference is diesel still get u more mileage doing regular motorways and has more power and torque than the hybrid. But normally that would be a manual diesel. Most stop start give u the option to turn it off. 

I was driving an Audi A1 1.6 diesel manual from London return trip to North lake District last year - 650miles. Spend £50 on diesel and doing 70mph, I worked out that comes to around 67mpg.  Diesel still definitely have a place on the road. 

My requirements had changed, I needed an auto and really like hybrid Yaris for what I need it for and of course mentioned above, can achieved great mpg for an auto. 

On 7/24/2018 at 11:51 AM, Mick F said:

Speed on motorways long distance?  Legally?

Yes.

I drove from here to Bedford and back last Friday.  504miles total and my Yaris Hybrid returned 64.8mpg overall using cruise control for much of the drive set at 65mph.

True 65mph or indicated 65mph? Over a 300 mile drive the difference between an indicated 65mph & a true 70mph will be noticeable & these people are under time pressure.

Even with my 2.2 Avensis Tourer (an old engine design) it was possible to break 70mpg  on occasion on a long motorway journey - a modern engine should breeze it.

Also, most of these people will have needs for comfort, load capacity & image that a Yaris hybrid will not meet. A Prius might but at a financial premium to e.g. an Insignia, Mondeo etc. - sadly the hybrid Avensis using the 2.5l powertrain (RAV, Camry) that I & a few others would have liked never arrived 😞 

13 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

True 65mph or indicated 65mph?

Indicated 65mph.

However, I am aware that the speedo on my Yaris is a bit out and no doubt they're all the same.  I'm on here somewhere querying the speedo accuracy, and by comparing it to my GPS unit as well as my TomTom, the indicated 65mph is in fact 62mph.

The thing is though, as far as the accepted norm of driving, you take notice of the speedometer, and not GPS devices.  65mph on the speedo is good enough, not gospel, but good enough.

Mick.

53 minutes ago, Mick F said:

The thing is though, as far as the accepted norm of driving, you take notice of the speedometer, and not GPS devices.  65mph on the speedo is good enough, not gospel, but good enough.

You might, I don't & I suspect (having come from that background) that a lot of those others don't either ... Many of them are probably counting on the ACPO +10%+2mph.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links