Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D diesel power loss

WACD

My 2003 Diesel Corolla has about 10% of its normal power now.  It can barely move.  The garage says the injectors prob need replacing which would be more than the cars value ie I am better off scrapping the car.

It had a couple of maybe 50% power losses before which always went away on restarting.  Aside from that and a bit of engine smoke it has run well.

Any opinions/suggestions before I scrap it?

Thanks

Put some Diesel injector cleaner in it. This fixes up all any blocked injectors real quick.

Do you trust the garage you brought your car to? I'm asking because you didn't specify how they got the conclusion all 4 injectors are suddenly bad. Was any diagnostic software involved?

First thing everybody should do when it comes to power loss is properly clean EGR valve. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself (it's quite easy though) then you need a trusted garage to do it.

If that doesn't work that nothing's better than dealer's original diagnostic software. Do mind that you don't have to go to the dealers for this, there are independent shops with original software.

And while you're waiting on your EGR please describe your issue in more detail. What exactly are the symptoms? When does the power loss happen? How long does it last? How much smoke is coming from the exhaust? What color? Does more come out when you step on the gas? Are there any jolts when you try to accelerate during power loss event? What about the fluids — oil, coolant, all in good shape? What diesel do you usually buy, premium or supermarket stuff?

Could be others things

As said EGR, if smokey, MAF, Map sensor, Boot Sensor, Fuel Filter etc

As said,, describe all details / symptoms etc and previous attemptss in detail to us 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links