Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius 2015 Plugin - dealer fit reverse parking sensors?

tdwuk

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 2015 Plugin Prius, all good except no reverse parking sensors.  I just noticed that it wasn't fitted as every Prius I have seen has them.  Any idea how much the cost to fit at Toyota dealers?  I saw a price of £295 reverse and £395 front or £590 together but that is from 2013 and I don't know if that is from new or installed later on.

I have e-mailed the sales rep at the dealer with the car but he hasn't contacted me yet.  

The car has a camera but I have gotten used to the sensors for the past few years.

Thanks

I went from sensors to camera when I bought my Prius - you get used to it and more importantly get to trust the camera view.

However, them sort of prices seem extortionate. Surely a good auto electrician should be able to wire in a after market set, and you can get colour coded sets now as well I have seen. Just a thought.

Both this & the previous Avensis estates have had both rear cameras & sensors & I find both useful. I have yet to feel the need for front sensors though.

Rear sensors should only need to connect into the feed to the reversing light(s) so that they are enabled only when reverse is selected which makes them very easy to wire. If the Prius is like the Avensis then the back of the bumper is pre-marked for where to drill for sensors. An aftermarket kit should be £15-20 for the hardware.

Had colour coded rears fitted in 2016 by a Toyota dealership for £345 inc.VAT. Not cheap by any means but, after getting used to them on previous cars I wasn't comfortable relying on the camera, particularly as it didn't have any lined markings incorporated.

I paid £685 for my dealer to fit front and rear sensors on my 2012 Gen 3 (which was a 6 month old demonstrator when I got it).

Using the official Toyota kits, they fitted an override switch at each end - inside the boot for the rear, but on the dash for the front.  The rear won't need to be disabled except maybe for maintenance or something, but the fronts are active all the time the ignition is on, unlike the factory fitted variety, which only activate below a certain speed and when D or B are selected.  On the odd occasional is was useful to be able to turn off the front ones.

I too like to have both rear sensors and rear camera, and would still value sensors even if I had the 360° all round camera system some cars now have (including some Lexus models).  360° cameras are one thing I wish my Prius had, they are incredibly useful, and you still get the view down the sides of the car even when the mirrors are folded in (the side cameras are under the non-folding part of the door mirrors).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links