Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ac Recharge (maybe) 2002 vvti Corolla

Marlon05

Hi all 

In need of a bit help with this, i cant seem to locate the low or high pressure valves on my 02 Corolla 1.4 VVTi engine code 4zz-fe
i can see pipes running along for coiling but no valves to put a gauge on, starting to think you cant just do a normal recharge on this model...

My car only blows warm air when set to cold 😞
The heater works fine, but no cold air at all

Any advice would be great  

Thanks

I suspect a lot of people will have A/C AirCon problems this week. It's doesn't help when an interior is black. I have my A/C on COLD to get it cool enough in the car in this hot weather. I'm concerned like many of my Toyota friends that a gas recharge will blow an A/C condenser, A/C pipework or the A/C cooler unit completely.

So if anyone has any experience for how to get the A/C recharged without blowing it then this would help a lot of us out with older models. Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, DeTomato said:

I suspect a lot of people will have A/C AirCon problems this week. It's doesn't help when an interior is black. I have my A/C on COLD to get it cool enough in the car in this hot weather. I'm concerned like many of my Toyota friends that a gas recharge will blow an A/C condenser, A/C pipework or the A/C cooler unit completely.

So if anyone has any experience for how to get the A/C recharged without blowing it then this would help a lot of us out with older models. Thanks. 

Is it some kind of common knowledge that the recharge will blow something? Why? Haven't heard anything like this, except maybe if you don't use your AC for a long period and then try to get it working.

We still have our old 1.4 Corolla 4dr (2003) and there is a standard access port on the suction (or low pressure side) pipe close to the brake fluid reservoir. Couldn't just see one on the high side although I seem to recall there is one but it is hidden away near the condenser.

Recharging shouldn't 'blow'  anything because the highest pressures are seen under actual operating conditions and not the static conditions seen when evacuating (pulling the system to a vacuum) and recharging.

Hi,

On my 1.6 the low is where Mooly states and the high pressure is  just above the offside engine mount; seems your 1.4, according to the Haynes manual, is located just below the horn, the high side port / assembly also has the pressure switch.

Simple tests,  start the air con, can you hear the compressor clutch click in and the cooling fan/s also start up ?

If those ok, probably low on refrigerant, could just be natural wastage or like me a leaking condenser.

Would suggest you take it to a recharge center or use a local mobile  who can remove the old stuff, test for leaks and refill with the right amount of new  refrigerant and oil; tyipcally £50+  ;  well worth it imho.

If doing it yourself this months Car Mechanics magazine has a good 10 page section on air con which  might help.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replys everyone. I was wondering why i couldnt see any valves first thing, i will take a look after work today then probs to a pro to get my levels topped up if needed.

Really do hope its something simple like that 🙂

Ill report back when i can

What I meant was what oldcodger mentioned where the condenser may show a leak with a.c. refill. So not having done this before, question is whether a condenser leak is something the refill agent will fix, or if not then whether its wasted money because a new condenser will be needed which then requires another a.c. refill.

Anyone now how this process may work to save money hopefully with a repair on the spot of refill?

46 minutes ago, DeTomato said:

What I meant was what oldcodger mentioned where the condenser may show a leak with a.c. refill. So not having done this before, question is whether a condenser leak is something the refill agent will fix, or if not then whether its wasted money because a new condenser will be needed which then requires another a.c. refill.

Anyone now how this process may work to save money hopefully with a repair on the spot of refill?

Hi,

From using a mobile recharge guy  who allowed me to watch and question the whole process, this is my understanding.

Their equipment can first do a pressure test and any really bad leak will show up,  similarly they can fill and use a uv dye, but again unless a bad leak it can often be difficult to spot a small leak as it may be on a hidden part of the condenser plus it can take a hour or so for anything to show.

Given the main pressure test seems ok, he cleaned out the old and refilled with new and then used a Sniffer meter, which did reveal a very slight leak on the condenser, though nothing visually obvious.

He said a small leak like this is not uncommon , so use it and it might be a case of just needing a yearly top up, but in my case it lost too much within 6 months, hence a new condenser. 

Speaking to others seems a minor leak is common and some do get away with just a yearly top up.

Suppose some places will push for a new condenser whatever, though I bought mine for just £75 new,  ironically when fitting found a hidden leak on the water radiation as well !

• Like 1

Sounds familiar. I had a Ford once and the air-con was said to have depleted. When they went to recharge it a new condenser was required. So, sounds like a condenser failing is a common fault, but a rather costly one overall. 

I know my air-con is working because the compressor clutch clicks with the cooling fan/s starting as you've mentioned :biggrin:

And to that point I took the whole climate control unit out from the dash today, removed the back plate and flipped out the circuit boards to get to the switches, particularly the "up" blower switch which would not work and where only the down blower direction was working. Auto worked, but manually it was only working downwards:sweat:.

So now I have all the air pushed out full with the "up" blower on because it's now fixed, but it's still not getting cool in the cabin which makes me think there is a.c. depletion. What makes me laugh is a dealer was trying to advise me to have a complete new a.c. unit and made no attempt to fix anything, not even on a second attempt of looking at it, rather the consumer society idiocracy kicked in and they said just replace the whole lot :wacko: So I've fixed it myself :clap:

But my wife will kill me if I refill the a.c. and then have to get a new condenser on top. I'll have to plan this carefully and strategically :wub:

A coubik test as to whether your system is holding pressure can be easily done.  The air con system will have a valve, it looks a bit like a tyre valve.  Remove the cover (if it has one) and push in the centre pin, just like letting air out a tyre.  If gas escapes then the system doesn't have a catastrophic leak.  Bear in mind you're not supposed to release the gas into the atmosphere so just do a little quick press, and keep your eyes away from it.

edit - read "coubik" as  cee oh ae arr ess ee.  It seems the forum doesn't like the last four letters spelling out a rude word for bum.

• Like 1

That's a good thought alan333. I believe that valve is just behind the engine top black cover. I'll check it out. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was blowing warm air as well so I topped it up with the left over, quarter maybe, from Halfords bottle but now only passenger side is cold and driver side is still warm. I guess it wasnt enough in the bottle (waste a bit as well as I had forgotten to turn the engine on).

I am thinking, I'll take it to a shop and get it recharged this, hopefully no major leaks as mine does go for bit more than a year.

16 hours ago, roks said:

Mine was blowing warm air as well so I topped it up with the left over, quarter maybe, from halfords bottle but now only passenger side is cold and driver side is still warm. I guess it wasnt enough in the bottle (waste a bit as well as I had forgotten to turn the engine on).

I am thinking, I'll take it to a shop and get it recharged this, hopefully no major leaks as mine does go for bit more than a year.

Hi,

The problem with those bottles is you have no idea how much you are putting into your system, over pressurise it and you could do more damage than good, thats why a proper drain and measured refill is the best way.

Sounds odd that one side is cold the other warm  ?  could be more like a problem with the airways or the evaporator is gummed up on one side, unless the T Spirit has zoned climate control  ?

Man I dred the day when I have to get to the evaporator 😫 but I have no idea if the airways gummed up.

And no, its not zoned climate.

At least the weather is bit bearable, just need to get it sorted before winter as I used it to demist.

Interesting find with the air-con on my Corolla.

Once refilled with AC gas with blue dye, the only place it leaked was on the refill valve! I double checked by wiping the valve clean of dye. Going back to it a day later and the valve cap "sushed" slightly on opening and dye was present in the valve.

Testing further, the valve cap appeared to push the valve in just enough to allow it to seep AC gas. 

Checked the Valve cap and the rubber seal in it had basically disintegrated after 15 years leaving only a black ring internal in the cap.

The valve was not at fault. I put a new 3p rubber seal in the valve cap and the AC leak is fixed permanently.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links