Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trying to decide between Mondeo 2.2 and Avensis 2.2

markquinton

Hi all

Apologies for another post following my query about how reliable the 2.2 d-4d dpf is for short journeys with the odd longer journey but I'm struggling to decide between two motors:

2011 Mondeo Titanium X sport 2.2 with 53k and full service history - The highest spec Mondeo available at the time and 200 break horsepower with an autobox (traditional torque converter). As most people know the Mondeo handles very well and the mk4 is very well built. I favour autos so this is appealing but it is renowned for only doing about 35mpg and ealy 40's on a run. Most owners suggest the the dpf is pretty robust and regenerates on its own every few hundred miles if required. This is definitely the more sporty of the two cars.

2012 Toyota Avensis 2.2 d4-d T-spirit Tourer with 63k and full dealer history - This again is the higher spec available but this has the manual box. Having read that the box in the 2.2 is clunky i'm a little worried i'll be disappointed with it. I'm also a little wary as to how it will cope with short journeys mixed in with some longer journeys. It's safe to say the Avensis is not as good as the Mondeo in terms of being a drivers car but I've always been a Japanese car fan at heart. I also have a Rottweiler so the estate is more practical, however the rear seat bases flip up in the Mondeo to provide a flat floor for the dog. I also love the Panromic roof. I know it has aftermarket 18's but I actually think they look really good, it must of been a t-spirit with the 17's and the owner wanted to upgrade. I am aware the suspension isn't the smoothest over rough surfaces.

Both cars are around £8500 so there is little to choose between them both for value with both being the highest trim models. 

Or the alternative is to ditch both ideas and keep looking for a petrol which is proving a nightmare as they don't exist in T-spirit/Excel trim in the T27, the Mondeo does have the ecoboost but it's very rare.

Really struggling here. Help!

Pictures of both are attached.

Regards

Mark

ford-mondeo-hatchback-diesel-24f817d32a19.jpg

mediaGWYLPML7.jpg

35 minutes ago, markquinton said:

I also have a Rottweiler so the estate is more practical, however the rear seat bases flip up in the Mondeo to provide a flat floor for the dog. I also love the Panromic roof. I know it has aftermarket 18's but I actually think they look really good, it must of been a t-spirit with the 17's and the owner wanted to upgrade. I am aware the suspension isn't the smoothest over rough surfaces.

The estate has a mesh that rolls out of the tonneau cover & fixes in clips in the roof which should deter your dog from trying to join you in the main cabin & of course you can still carry 4 passengers with the dog should you have the need.

Eligible for the cheaper Essential Care main dealer servicing & you can take out a Toyota Extended Warranty should you wish. Drive it to see how the gearbox feels (2nd is usually the clunky one especially when cold but it is so hot atm that may not show up). Reckon on 42mpg overall but if you do a lot of motorway work you can beat that quite handsomely on those trips.

2012 2.2 T-Spirits came on 18" as standard, I had one. Downside is that the 45 profiles tyres are prone to damage. I looked that car up & it is on 19" rims so even  lower profile - I would avoid it for that unless they are willing to change them or discount it so you can put it on smaller (17" are probably the best compromise between comfort/road holding & protecting your tyres).

Or the alternative is to ditch both ideas and keep looking for a petrol which is proving a nightmare as they don't exist in T-spirit/Excel trim in the T27.

They do exist but as you have found very rare & the people that bought them probably aren't giving them up just yet.

I’ve had Toyota carina’s or avensis since 1990 but I changed from a avensis to a mk4 mondeo a few years ago, Ford is , or at least feels wider and better planted on the road mpg was only ok and after about 200,000 miles taxi work is when the dpf started giving problems. This mondeo has since been changed for a 2012 2.0 d4d T Spirit tourer which is a better equipped car, bi xenon adaptive headlights  , panoramic roof, reversing camera, electric memory leather seats etc but lighter on the road with some rattling noises here and there but showing only 32 / 34mpg. If I were to change for another diesel I would be more interested in the ford but it would be for the 140bhp 2.0d auto which is supposed to be the best. However, I’m in the process of changing for a GS300H instead as I’ve lost faith in the modern diesel cars for town use due to all the emissions stuff attached to them.

35 minutes ago, Taxi501 said:

This mondeo has since been changed for a 2012 2.0 d4d T Spirit tourer which is a better equipped car, bi xenon adaptive headlights  , panoramic roof, reversing camera, electric memory leather seats etc but lighter on the road with some rattling noises here and there but showing only 32 / 34mpg. 

Auto box? The auto has the cleaner but thirstier (probably a good 5mpg) D-CAT version of the 2.2 to counter the less efficient gearbox & sneak it under an emissions/tax threshold.

Thanks guys. 

I noticed that the advert says 19 inch wheels but I wondered if they were incorrect as they look like 18inch. I'm only 36 and still have an interest in car aesthetics so i'm happy with the lower profile and willing to accept a little more risk of damage. If the car was on 17's I don't think it would interest me as much as the Mondeo in terms of appearance.

Taxi501 : what would make you consider the Ford diesel again but not the Toyota? Simply as they feel better built? 

Should have been a bit clearer in my post, my T Spirit is the 2.0 d4d manual. As for if I were changing to an auto diesel it would be to the 2.0 140/150?bhp mondeo because the auto diesel avensis is only available as the 2.2 which have been very poor with three other drivers in the same company, main complaint by two drivers of them being very heavy on fuel, the same two changed to the avensis from 15 year old mercs (due to a stupid regulation here that the taxi cannot be more than 15 years old, and their replacement cannot reach 10 years old ) also all of them needed the injectors replaced. As I said, I don’t think the modern diesel car is now suitable for mostly town work due to either all the emissions crap or maybe it’s due to whatever is being added to the fuel itself (bio diesel or something). I do want to change to automatic but I don’t want another diesel so I think for me , my best option is hybrid . It’s a pity there’s no hybrid equivalent of the avensis tourer, I think that would have been a great seller 

Thanks for the explanation, you mention the 2.2 engines needed new injectors - was that with the t25 Avensis as I thought the newer T27 version was more reliable in that sense and without head gasket issues?

Ya , there’s four drivers that I can think of in our company that all got 2013 T27 2.2 diesel automatic saloons, only one hadn’t complained about the fuel economy but he had changed from a T25 petrol auto so he was used to poor mpg anyway, as for the injectors, I was told by one driver that there was some sort of offer on replacement’s at €250 each or so. I believe the head issue was solved in the T27, at least none of our guys have had that problem....yet?