Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What to look out for in a diesel

pea bee

Hi all,

Our daughter is keen to buy an Auris. As she will be doing over 15,000 miles per year, she is keen on a diesel.

It looks like her budget will get an '08 or '09 with 100k to 130k miles.

What are people's opinions and experience on the 1.4, 2.0 and 2.2 diesel engines? Is there anything specific to look out for, or be aware of? Any other general issues to be aware of for the Auris?

I've had a few VW turbo diesels over the years, and always seemed to get to 140 or 150k miles before the big bills started (clutch/dual mass flywheel, turbo and gearbox needing rebuilt). Would there be similar issues for the diesel Toyotas, and is there a general mileage those start to become issues?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Be aware the 2.2 diesel is known for cylinder head troubles in everything it's fitted to, including Lexus.  Personally I wouldn't own one out of factory warranty.  From around 2009 it's reportedly better, but I still wouldn't.

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

Be aware the 2.2 diesel is known for cylinder head troubles in everything it's fitted to, including Lexus.  Personally I wouldn't own one out of factory warranty.  From around 2009 it's reportedly better, but I still wouldn't.

I don't think these engines have head gasket issues, those were fixed in roughly 2006 or 2007 I think.

In either case I would recommend to really count all factors to see if diesel is cheaper. Plot twist: most of the time it's not when you factor in all diesel-related troubles down the road.

Also consider what type of driving the car will see. If it's mostly highway, sure. If it's a mix between city and highway then it starts to get murky.

I have a 2007 2.2 180 and sadly I would not recommend the engine..

It was replaced due to the head gasket issue a few years ago (can't remember what year)

I'm now on 124,000 miles (the car - not the engines) and have suffered from heavy white/grey? smoke from the exhaust for the last 30,000 miles. Fuel economy has also taken a dive. Do you fancy 29mpg in the winter and 33mpg in the summer? 

It is still regularly serviced and MOT'ed at Toyota and they haven't highlighted anything and neither has the car (warning lights etc). I do clean the EGR every 10k too.

The car itself is fantastic though - still drives like new!

I had a 59 plate 1.4 diesel Yaris which is the same as in the Auris. Definitely look for regular on time/miles service history. Oil/filter changes are vital for any diesel, in my opinion.

The 1.4 diesel I had was linked to a 6 speed gearbox and it proved very brisk, cruising at 70 on a M-Way was effortless.. MPG was about 62, I would expect a bit less in an Auris due to extra weight. The wife had a year earlier 1.4D yaris with a 5 speed box, it was ok, but would benefit from the 6 speed.  Go for a 1.4D 6 speed and  Ithink you would be ok.

I am on my third 1.4 d4d first in a yaris with  the the second and third  in  auris's . Not the fastest in the auris but both reliable . The Yaris I took form 27k to 147k and only had to pay out for services and tyres etc

In the UK any Auris with the 2.0 1AD & 2.2 2AD engine could possibly suffer from either failed head gasket or excessive oil consumption leading to head gasket failure

the initial head gasket was fixed mid 2007

the oil consumption leading to head gasket issues wasn't fixed until 2009 this was after the 2.0/2.2 were deleted from the UK line-up

The 1.4 went through a few changes:

2006 -late 2008 had 90bhp and a 5 speed manual/multimode MMT ( auto ) transmission

late 2008 - mid 2010 had 90bhp and a 6 speed manual/multimode MMT ( auto ) transmission

2010 - end of model in 2012 had 90bhp and a 6 speed manual/multimode MMT ( auto ) transmission but also gained DPF ( diesel particulate filter ) 

2010 models where also facelifted with a new nose, different rear lights & bumper and better quality interior fittings

Just to add, DO NOT go for a Yaris/Auris if it has the MMT auto (a known nightmare), stick to the manual, and I would recommend the 6 speed manual

• Thanks 1

Yes, avoid the MMT like the plague.  The one in our previously owned 2011 1.6 petrol Auris is by far the worst engine/gearbox combo I've driven.

I have a 2009 Auris 1.4 d4d has no real problems til now got a slowly failing gearbox if you hear any rattling when on tickover that goes when u put the clutch pedal down I’d personally walk away as be looking at possibly spending £700-£800 quid to fix. Other issues are knocking from the front suspension which could just be bushes or top mounts. Other than that the car drives well and manages between 42- 47 mpg with mainly town driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could that rattling that disappears when the clutch is pressed be a clutch thrust bearing???   The bearing itself is relatively cheap I would imagine, gearbox out to get at it, so good time to take a good look at the clutch itself.  Just a thought.

Could that rattling that disappears when the clutch is pressed be a clutch thrust bearing???   The bearing itself is relatively cheap I would imagine, gearbox out to get at it, so good time to take a good look at the clutch itself.  Just a thought.

That’s what I thought at first but it now whines while in motion 1st 2nd and getting louder in 3rd and changes to what sounds like a Whiney diff in 5th-6th. It’s been in to the garage I always use they was surprised it’s nosiey as it’s a Toyota but came back with bearings in box but only real way to find out would be to split the box which is £400 then prob a clutch aswell as I am on 64k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/28/2018 at 12:39 AM, pea bee said:

Hi all,

Our daughter is keen to buy an Auris. As she will be doing over 15,000 miles per year, she is keen on a diesel.

It looks like her budget will get an '08 or '09 with 100k to 130k miles.

What are people's opinions and experience on the 1.4, 2.0 and 2.2 diesel engines? Is there anything specific to look out for, or be aware of? Any other general issues to be aware of for the Auris?

I've had a few VW turbo diesels over the years, and always seemed to get to 140 or 150k miles before the big bills started (clutch/dual mass flywheel, turbo and gearbox needing rebuilt). Would there be similar issues for the diesel Toyotas, and is there a general mileage those start to become issues?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Hi thanks for all the input.

We looked at and test drove a few different Aurises over the weekens and were impressed with the 1.4 d4d, as it felt a lot nippier than expected.

The 2.0 d felt excellent.

Didn't bother looking at any 2.2 d after the comments above.

We are going back tonight to buy a 2009  1.4d with 75k miles and full dealer service history .... if it is still there!!!

Many thanks again for taking the time to help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links