Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Castrol edge titanium 5–30w issues

james mcdonald

Hello 

This is my first post so hello nice to be part of the forum. I have a few concerns about a recent oil change to castrol titanium 5-30w my auris 08 1.6sr petrol. Although I was advised this oil would be fine in my engine (1ZR–FE) I’m hearing some possible valve knocking/tapping etc on cold start up until the engine reaches temp then it’s nice and smooth. Has anyone else had issues with this oil ? And if anyone has the same model as my car could u advice which oil you have found to be best ?

thanks also James 

This is a fully synthetic oil. Were you using a fully synthetic oil previously? Was the noise there immediately after the oil change? Who offered the advice?

Depending on mileage and previous oil type, it is never adviseable to start using a fully synthetic oil if it hasn't been used before, particularly in a high mileage engine.

The Castrol site shows Magnetec Stop Start 5W- 20E as a recommended oil for the 1ZR FE engine but tbh I would have thought your current choice would be fine as well. Was a genuine Toyota filter used.

Capture.JPG

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?data=9b4a26ed49db4fdd391a5fb95a471bf1

It recommends, when I enter the reg. and select the correct vehicle, exactly the same oil for my 1.33l Yaris. It's wrong! No.1 it isn't "stop/start". No.2 it should and does use 0W20 or 5W30 as a temporary alternative.

I always go by what the Toyota (or any other marque)handbook advises for the particular model.

The Castrol site isn't particularly intuitive to use. I actually emailed Castrol a couple of weeks ago simply because I couldn't find a listing for the 1.33L Auris with stop start. The official reply was that it there !!! but comes under 1.3L, not 1.33L and that if you enter a reg number it will say 'refer to dealer'. Castrol finished by saying 'The Magnatec Professional GF 0W-20 would be most likely be available from a Toyota dealer using Castrol products'.

The handbook (for the 1.33L) states that 0W20 is a preferred grade, but if you read a little closer it may not actually be the 'best' depending on your usage. I also do not trust the dealers as the information I have been given has been contradictory to put it mildly. The last service I had done actually states clearly that 5W30 has been used. When the car was new I was told only 0W20 must be used. When I used to ask what had been put in the answer was 5W30. After 3 or 4 years I believe the dealers had been told they should use 0W20 and I suspect that was what was used for a few years... and my oil consumption was noticeably high. This year (service in March) and it appears not to have used any. This is with (I assume) the 5W30 on the invoice. When asked though they still say only 0W20 is to go in.  

Hello unsure how to quote a post into my reply so will try to answer questions all together.

I was using comma 5–30w Xtech with a mann filter 

The knocking came after I changed to Castrol edge FST titanium 5-30w

currently am not using a Toyota oil filter 

The current mileage is 64,000 ish the car was previously serviced by Toyota but I’ve decided to take this on myself as I’m sceptical if I’ve not carried the work out myself. Im sticking to 8,000mile oil changed due to the nature of how I use my car. Going forward I’ve ordered the Castrol magnatec oil with genuine Toyota oil filter will swap these out and report back with findings.

thanks again for your help 

James 

Mine has always been run on Castrol 5W30 in my ownership (4 years and 60k) and has not had any issues or noises. 

As far as I'm aware, Toyota changed their preferred oil from 5W-30 to 0W-20 when the Optimal Drive petrol engines were introduced. The Optimal Drive 1.33 was introduced around November 2008, but the Optimal Drive 1.6 Valvematic wasn't introduced until early 2009. So the preferred oil for an 08 1.6 should be 5W-30.

Think for the petrol engines, only the 1.33 Auris had stop/start.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, Toyota changed their preferred oil from 5W-30 to 0W-20 when the Optimal Drive petrol engines were introduced. The Optimal Drive 1.33 was introduced around November 2008, but the Optimal Drive 1.6 Valvematic wasn't introduced until early 2009. So the preferred oil for an 08 1.6 should be 5W-30.

Think for the petrol engines, only the 1.33 Auris had stop/start.

Interesting thankyou for that I can confirm mine isn’t stop start 

p.s worked out how to “quote” lol