Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Would an injector problem stop car starting?

mattcrispin

Hi folks, just looking for some advice. My car (2009 T27 d4d 2 litre diesel) started juddering at about 2500 rpm last week, the next day it stopped completely and had to be towed home. I have since cleaned the EGR valve and replaced the fuel filter. (Fuel is definitely getting to the head). It still wont start and is now with the mechanic, the only fault code he is getting is for an injector 'bank 1'. He seems to think it is more than just an injector fault as he says one injector wont stop the car starting, what do you think? 

Anyone offer an insight into this?

thanks in advance.

Hi Matt,

Your tech is right imo one injector failing won't prevent the car running or starting but would cause it to run roughly and belch out plenty of smoke. If fuel is getting to the head then I'd be starting to look at fuel pump and associated such as is there enough pressure at the rail? Your tech should be able to tell you this with his box of tricks., You can even pull the rail pressure with a generic tool. Ian

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

seen this on a landcruiser, and one injector did prevent it from starting, the diesel was bypassing the injector and out the return. The rail pressure wasn't high enough and we did change the pump, which didn't cure the issue.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 11:50 PM, mcorban said:

seen this on a landcruiser, and one injector did prevent it from starting, the diesel was bypassing the injector and out the return. The rail pressure wasn't high enough and we did change the pump, which didn't cure the issue.

Yes, if a common rail injector has a bad internal leak it can lose so much pressure from the fuel rail that the ECU won't allow the other three injectors to fire, preventing the engine from starting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links