Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advisories - VHC on my Aygo

JaimeX

Hello,

My wife has a 2006 Toyota Aygo 3door manual petrol.

She has had it for a few years, purchased it at 30k miles and it is now on 65k miles so it has done her well. She does about 5,000 miles per year.

I took it in for a 'GOLD' service (£180) at a local Toyota main dealership (W.R Davies) - they have advised on the visual health check the following...

Rear shoes/drums: O/S w/cylinder seized. N/S bleed nipple seized - this is going to cost me £201.60 including VAT if I go genuine. £165.57 including VAT if I go non-genuine. This part on the VHC was highlighted in RED so it seems to be a major concern to the technician.

Water/Oil/Fluid Leaks: Signs of slight leak from water-pump - this is going to cost me £259.99 including VAT if I go genuine. £213.47 including VAT if I go non-genuine. This part on the VHC was highlighted in AMBER so it isn't a real concern but he just wanted to highlight it.

The service advisor wanted to also make me aware that the labour rate has been discounted from £86+VAT to £66+VAT.

What are your thoughts? I am tempted to get the O/S w/cylinder and N/S bleed nipple repairs done but I really think I should just leave the water-pump as I have heard the main dealer's can be quite ANAL when it comes to things just to cover their backs. Unless you think otherwise then please give me some advice as I haven't really got a clue and with it being a 2006 registration vehicle I am just trying to be as economical as possible.

Cheers!

Definitely replace the brake parts, and as soon as practicable.

As for the pump, if it's leaking then it will cause the engine to overheat at some point. I also believe it may have also a negative effect on the belt and tensioner. I'd swap it out too.

If you think the quotes for replacement are too high, you may be as well off shopping round. Ask your friends or family if they know of a good mechanic or small garage. 

Thanks for your response, most appreciated.

I have a gut feeling I should shop around even though I think those prices are quite reasonable.

If the prices Toyota gave you are the prices for both the parts and the fitting, for genuine parts too, that's a pretty great price.
However, if it's just the parts and you've got X amount of labour fees on top, then I'd say that's on the steep side.

As suggested by others already, if you do know of a good independent mechanic, it really can't hurt to get a second opinion/quote.

Hi JayG,

Thanks for that. It puts my mind at ease when someone else thinks they are good prices.

I didn’t want to just agree to the work and then everyone say to me “you got ripped off” or “that’s expensive”.

It looks like I will get the work done with a bit of haggling ;) always got to be done!

Thanks again!

Your dealer has a duty of care to you and your car. We use the "Traffic light" system to make it easy to understand. Red, work required immediately, Amber required in the near future, green is OK. You have been advised the water pump has a slight leak but you think they are being anal? What would you say if the pump fails and leaves you stranded on the side of the road in 3 months time? The pump is either leaking or not. If you are happy with the price, get it done, make sure you have an all inclusive price for parts, labour, coolant, and VAT etc, and if not happy either negotiate or go elsewhere, but please consider having it done as it has been highlighted as a concern

Kingo :thumbsup:

It may be as well to also remember that the 'none genuine' parts you are talking about will be a realistic, good quality alternative if the dealer is happy to fit them and warranty the work.

A few phone calls around local garages will give you your answer about the pricing. 

These operations are common and the price seems correct. You should do it.

I am surprised that the water pump had not been changed before, leaks are a frequent issue on the first Aygos. On my 2006 Aygo, the water pump was replaced under warranty at 10 000 miles when I brought my car for service. There should have been an official manufacturer recall.

54 minutes ago, zuh said:

There should have been an official manufacturer recall.

Official recalls are usually for safety related issues.

As zuh says on early cars the water pump was an issue, they failed at varying mileages, so maybe you been lucky so far, but i'd be getting those problems done, main dealer prices are always going be more, so as said a recommeded independant could be way to go.

Good Evening!

Thanks for the advice, it is most appreciated! It really helped a lot.

I have managed to ask for a discounted price of £430 including VAT... this is for the following...

The rear brakes repair which was going to cost me £201.60. The water-pump replacement which was going to cost me £259.99. I’ve also asked them to do the wiper blade replacement, number plates and heat-shield replacement. **ALL GENUINE PARTS** This will all be done at the Toyota main dealer 2 minutes away from me aswell.

I think i’ve done well there. My wife will be driving this for 2 more years at least after owning it for nearly 6 years so I think it’s all worth it 🙂

I'm glad you've managed to get things sorted. 

I thought this thread may be of interest to some folks: