Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

£295 full service?

Mick F

Our Sept 2014 Yaris Hybrid - Jennifer - four years old at the end of August - is booked in for her 30,000mile full service SnowsToyota Plymouth 15th August. Chatting to the service receptionist, it's £295 for the service plus £35 for the MOT = £330 for the full 3hr? visit  (thankfully inclusive of the dreaded VAT) and they'll throw in a curtesy car if I want it.

We've only had Jennifer for a year.  Is this the cost of owning a still in warranty Toyota Yaris Hybrid?

When the car is out of warranty this time next year, can I do it all myself?

Mick.

• Like 1

I was offered a courtesy car last time I had mine serviced. I refused it when I saw the size of the excess (£1250 IIRC). I can just imagine taking it back and being told there's damage that wasn't on it before. Caught a bus instead.

Isn't there something about having it serviced to maintain the Battery warranty?

Toyota revised the service schedules back in 2016, and included some items within the schedules that were previously maintenance options. For example brake fluid changes have been required every two years for some while - previously they were an additional cost of approx £39, but under the new schedules they are included.

See the following for what each service now covers - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Servicing%2BUK%2BENG%2BSPART%2BEXACT&utm_term=toyota servicing&msclkid=10dd13bce0f41260a67e48dd31943208&gclid=CLHv9aiVzNwCFQhWGwodnGYPrQ&gclsrc=ds

Costs are on a par with other manufacturers. For example the Citroen servicing scheme for 3 year old + cars costs around the same as Toyota's full price servicing for the Aygo. Between 2007 and 2012, we paid similar servicing costs to Toyota's current costs for our 2007 Mazda 2 (£199 intermediate and £300 for full).

Once the car is over five years old, one can take advantage of the Essential Care scheme, which currently costs £110 for the Silver service (equivalent to Intermediate) and £190 for Gold (equivalet to Full) for the Yaris.

As regards the hybrid Battery, a service with a Toyota dealer also includes the free hybrid health check, and if the hybrid Battery is out of warranty (yours isn't), the hybrid health check provides an extended warranty for the hybrid Battery.

I too have a Sept 2014 Yaris Hybrid - nicknamed SLF , for Spritely Little F***er , only bought it in Feb this year at 27k miles, put 9k miles on it already. I know how much the next service is now, Thank you.

Our Sept 2014 Yaris Hybrid - Jennifer - four years old at the end of August - is booked in for her 30,000mile full service SnowsToyota Plymouth 15th August. Chatting to the service receptionist, it's £295 for the service plus £35 for the MOT = £330 for the full 3hr? visit  (thankfully inclusive of the dreaded VAT) and they'll throw in a curtesy car if I want it.
We've only had Jennifer for a year.  Is this the cost of owning a still in warranty Toyota Yaris Hybrid?
When the car is out of warranty this time next year, can I do it all myself?
Mick.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

doesnt include the air filter either but does include the pollen filter (we will see if they change the pollen filter and brake fluid on my vist in october)

toyota are £295 full and £160 for inter

honda are £265 full and £195 inter

so about the same really and after the warranty expires they do cheaper services at main dealers

Air filter is replaced at the Full+ service depending on age and mileage. 

Service schedules and costs have been available on Toyota's website ever since fixed price servicing was introduced around 2011.

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Air filter is replaced at the Full+ service depending on age and mileage. 

but not on the £295 service

1 minute ago, monkeydave said:

but not on the £295 service

I never said it was on the Full service.

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

I never said it was on the Full service.

plus service is £355 so £60 more

Just now, monkeydave said:

plus service is £355 so £60 more

Yes - because, depending on age, mileage and model, the Full+ service covers additional items.

Good grief!  😧

The cost of owning a "still in warranty" car has gone up considerably over the years despite inflation and stuff!

Bought brand new ........ starting in 1980 ..........Rover Mini, Talbot Samba, Talbot Horizon, Peugeot 205, Renault Clio ........ and a few other cars within within warranty, but never had to pay relatively so much for a service. The complexity and technology of cars has become so involved these days, it becomes very expensive indeed to get a dealer service.

Last car before this was a Fiat500 Twin Air, and we bought it at 3years old just as it came out of warranty.  I didn't go back to Fiat (or anywhere else) and did all the servicing for myself - oil, fluids, filters, pads and shoes and etc.  Still got a good trade-in with it two years later at five years old.

What am I getting for my £295 that I couldn't get by doing it DIY?  May keep the car for many years yet, so not worried about the service history keeping the value up.  Is the five year Toyota warranty dependent on having Toyota themselves servicing it, or can I DIY and still get the guarantee of the five year warranty being honoured?

Why don't you go to a local independent garage as long as its vat registered and use toyota parts you still keep the warrenty? 

Under Block Exemption, in order to retain the new car warranty and the hybrid Battery warranty, it will need to be serviced by a VAT registered garage. Warranty claims need to go through the Toyota dealer network.

If one takes out a Toyota extended warranty, servicing will need to be done within the Toyota dealer network, as extended warranties are not covered by Block Exemption.

DIY servicing doesn't satisfy the requirements of the warranty.

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Under Block Exemption, in order to retain the new car warranty and the hybrid battery warranty, it will need to be serviced by a VAT registered garage. Warranty claims need to go through the Toyota dealer network.

If one takes out a Toyota extended warranty, servicing will need to be done within the Toyota dealer network, as extended warranties are not covered by Block Exemption.

DIY servicing doesn't satisfy the requirements of the warranty. 

I am disputing that but for a service during the first 5 years take it to a indie 

9 minutes ago, Sttrory said:

I am disputing that but for a service during the first 5 years take it to a indie 

You can dispute what you want, but my reply is accurate.

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

You can dispute what you want, but my reply is accurate.

Sorry ment to say not disputing you (fat fingers and small keyboard) 

I'm not sure our local independent garages would even know how to operate our Toyota Hybrid.  I'll bet they haven't seen one before, not that I doubt their abilities at all, as I know some of them personally.   I wouldn't feel confident that they could service the car properly, but then again, it's only an engine and wheels etc, so maybe what the heck eh?

I will speak to them, but my heart says I should take the car to Toyota for the full service and swallow the cost.  At five years old next year, I may think again and chat to our local garage for the future.  Dunno how they would do a system check and a Battery health check, but it can't really be rocket science ........... or could it be?

Mick.

9 minutes ago, Mick F said:

I'm not sure our local independent garages would even know how to operate our Toyota Hybrid.  I'll bet they haven't seen one before, not that I doubt their abilities at all, as I know some of them personally.   I wouldn't feel confident that they could service the car properly, but then again, it's only an engine and wheels etc, so maybe what the heck eh?

I will speak to them, but my heart says I should take the car to Toyota for the full service and swallow the cost.  At five years old next year, I may think again and chat to our local garage for the future.  Dunno how they would do a system check and a battery health check, but it can't really be rocket science ........... or could it be?

Mick.

Tbh your be fine at the indie 

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

At five years old next year, I may think again and chat to our local garage for the future.  Dunno how they would do a system check and a battery health check, but it can't really be rocket science ........... or could it be?

At 5 it becomes eligible for the reduced cost Toyota Essential Care scheme.

Having a Hybrid Health Check done at a Toyota dealer (free as part of a service or iirc £39 as a standalone) extends your traction Battery warranty for a year/10,000 miles - no indie can offer that.

29 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Having a Hybrid Health Check done at a Toyota dealer (free as part of a service or iirc £39 as a standalone) extends your traction battery warranty for a year/10,000 miles 

If the OP's Yaris was first registered before 31st March 2014, the hybrid Battery warranty will be for 8 years/100,000 miles. If first registered after 31st March 2014, the hybrid Battery warranty will be 5 years/100,000 miles.

I got all these checks for free when I had my airbag recall done a few weeks ago and it had no problems except one of my tubeless tyres had a little less tread. Though the free wash is just shampoo and hose pipe.

I would be more worried when the Battery starts to fail after 10 years as its cost could go over 1000 but then again there are ways to test each cell and buy refurbished cells on eBay.

I would do it just to keep the 8 year Battery warranty, if it has one depends on when the car was registered and it could save 1600 pounds:

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the OP's Yaris was first registered before 31st March 2014, the hybrid battery warranty will be for 8 years/100,000 miles. If first registered after 31st March 2014, the hybrid battery warranty will be 5 years/100,000 miles.

First registered 30th September 2014

Looking at My Toyota, she had a full service at 20,146miles in Sept 2016 at two years old.  We bought her late August 2017 at 25,013miles but it had had a vehicle prep in the March previous .......... perhaps a sale that fell through?  We don't know, and the dealer was a little cagey about it, or perhaps he didn't know either! 

The car was off the road from March until we bought her in August.  Five months laid up, so that's why the service and MOT are skewed out to be a month early.

Looking at the warranty booklet, she is covered for five years/100,000miles for the car and the hybrid system.  If we get a Battery health check, they warranty it for a further year and subsequently after that.  They don't say what would happen if it fails any subsequent check after the initial five years.

Mick.

23 minutes ago, Mick F said:

If we get a battery health check, they warranty it for a further year and subsequently after that.  They don't say what would happen if it fails any subsequent check after the initial five years.

I guess if the new check is within the year guarantee of the old check, then it will be replaced free of charge (actually, I hope the Battery would be charged 😉 ).

With the app torque pro, it is possible to see the Battery pack voltages (2 packs in series), mine are all around 15.8V at 43% charged. If there is a imbalance, then you are closer to pack failure.

11 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the OP's Yaris was first registered before 31st March 2014, the hybrid battery warranty will be for 8 years/100,000 miles. If first registered after 31st March 2014, the hybrid battery warranty will be 5 years/100,000 miles.

58 minutes ago, Mick F said:

First registered 30th September 2014

Looking at the warranty booklet, she is covered for five years/100,000miles for the car and the hybrid system.  If we get a battery health check, they warranty it for a further year and subsequently after that.  They don't say what would happen if it fails any subsequent check after the initial five years.

Your existing hybrid Battery warranty will run through until 29th September 2019. 

A hybrid health check done now will check the operation of the hybrid system, but won't extend the hybrid Battery warranty as the current hybrid Battery warranty is still in force. 

If a hybrid health check is done near to or after the expiry of the current  hybrid battery health warranty (for example on or after 29th September 2019) it is then that the hybrid battery warranty is extended for one year. Hybrid health checks can be done annually, either for free as part of a service by a Toyota dealer or at a cost of approx £39, up to the vehicle's 10th birthday.

If a hybrid health check is done immediately prior to the vehicle's 10th birthday, the hybrid battery extended warranty will have provided cover for up to 11 years from first registration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If a hybrid health check is done immediately prior to the vehicle's 10th birthday, the hybrid battery extended warranty will have provided cover for up to 11 years from first registration.

What happens then?  Is eleven years the total absolute length of time there is any support?  Do they then recommend a new Battery as the only way forward (pardon the pun).

If so, this would drop the resale value of a 10/11 year old hybrid to almost zero.  No-one would want to buy it, and a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.  No sale  = scrap value.

Mick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links