Do Not Sell My Personal Information

£295 full service?

Mick F

Surely a potential eleven years of cover is a high level of support as regards the hybrid Battery - especially if the hybrid health checks may have been done for free in conjunction with a Toyota service. Can't think of any other manufacturer that offers this level. 

If one wants further support, there is the option of purchasing extended warranties from Toyota, which are available until the vehicle is either 12 years of age or has reached 100,000 miles.

Unless the hybrid Battery actually fails, there is no reason to suggest the value of a 10/11 years old hybrid drops just because the option of having an extended hybrid Battery warranty is no longer there.

There are members on the forums who have 2006/07 Prius hybrids which presumably are still on their original hybrid battery.

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

What happens then?  Is eleven years the total absolute length of time there is any support?  

No, but it probably becomes chargeable work.

If so, this would drop the resale value of a 10/11 year old hybrid to almost zero.  No-one would want to buy it, and a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.  No sale  = scrap value.

Most 11 year old cars these days are worth peanuts ...

Depends on what you mean by "peanuts" of course.

I would expect no-one would buy an eleven year old Yaris Hybrid out of Battery warranty, but the petrol version would still be a viable proposition.

I suppose the best option is to get a Battery health check done for the life of the car ................. but if it fails, I suspect you'll be sitting in a write-off as the cost of a new Battery would exceed the value of the car.  Petrol version will carry on forever, or until the engine finally dies.

Don't get me wrong here.  Our Jennifer is a wonderful car, and the best car we've ever owned throughout nearly 50years of driving.  I really believe that we'll be trading her in in five or six years time for another.  First time in my driving life that I would ever have considered it ................ and that's saying something.

Mick.

• Confused 1

My recent purchase 2016 hybrid is on 28.5k miles, still got just under 3 years warranty. I might have to bite the bullet like u and have to fork out 295 for the service.  When it's near out of warranty I will just usually go to a national tyres garage and get the oil & filter change which is about £48 for this car.  

It's a bit of a dilemma because one have to service with Toyota or a vat registered garage which have to use Toyota parts. As if none of those 2 will invalid the warranty. Then u think Toyota have the best reliability in the world of automobiles. So choosing DIY or partial servicing will save a lot of money. 

I don't have much sympathy really.

We've bought 21 new cars and always asked about servicing costs when considering a car for purchase. Toyota introduced their fixed price servicing scheme around 2011, and have since published the service schedules and service costs on their website - so the information on servicing is easily available. As I said in an earlier post, Toyota's service costs are similar to a lot of other manufacturers - I exampled Mazda - and they also have a reduced cost servicing regime - Essential Care - for those vehicles outside the new car warranty.

Yes under Block Exemption, within the new car warranty one can use a VAT registered garage which is outside the dealer network for servicing within certain constraints. 

However, if one were to face a major repair outside of the new car warranty and one approaches the manufacturer for a goodwill contribution towards the cost of the repair, if one has gone outside the dealer network for servicing (whether a VAT registered garage or DIY servicing, goodwill is usually denied. This applies to any manufacturer, not just Toyota.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mick F said:

I would expect no-one would buy an eleven year old Yaris Hybrid out of battery warranty, but the petrol version would still be a viable proposition.

I suppose the best option is to get a battery health check done for the life of the car ................. but if it fails, I suspect you'll be sitting in a write-off as the cost of a new battery would exceed the value of the car.  Petrol version will carry on forever, or until the engine finally dies.

Don't get me wrong here.  Our Jennifer is a wonderful car, and the best car we've ever owned throughout nearly 50years of driving.  I really believe that we'll be trading her in in five or six years time for another.  First time in my driving life that I would ever have considered it ................ and that's saying something.

Mick.

Where is the evidence that once a Toyota Hybrid gets to 10/11 years old the Hybrid Battery is shot at?  Toyota obviously have the confidence to put a warranty on the Hybrid Battery to 10/11 years - who else does? 

Toyota Hybrids have been available in the Uk since 1999. In my research when I was looking for my first Toy.Hybrid just 15 months ago, I saw more then a few Gen 2 around 2004-2006 going for up to £4.5K. Never once did I see an advert saying "new Hybrid Battery fitted", and lets face it if you paid £1600 for a new Hyb battery you would splash it in your advert. 

In any case, the Hybrid battery, at least in Gen3 Prius is not sealed, you can replace individual cells, plenty places offering this service for about £70-£80 each cell. I don't know if the Yaris battery is any different, perhaps someone with knowledge can clarify the Yaris Hybrid battery situation ie separate cells or not.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mick F said:

e.g. an 11 year old 1.8 Avensis with average miles for year (130,000+) would be worth £1000 or less trade. Of course, at that mileage it may also be in need of some replacement parts ...

I would expect no-one would buy an eleven year old Yaris Hybrid out of battery warranty, but the petrol version would still be a viable proposition.

see above, the cost of replacement parts (suspension, clutch etc.) could potentially be as much as the car is worth ...

It might be worth noting that Toyota's extended warranty only covers the manual gearbox (according to them). Any other type of transmission doesn't get a mention. Not even in what is not covered.

I questioned  the Battery in my Yaris after 10yrs and was told by the service manager that cell can be replaced if found faulty.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:55 PM, Catlover said:

Where is the evidence that once a Toyota Hybrid gets to 10/11 years old the Hybrid battery is shot at?  Toyota obviously have the confidence to put a warranty on the Hybrid battery to 10/11 years - who else does? 

Toyota Hybrids have been available in the Uk since 1999. In my research when I was looking for my first Toy.Hybrid just 15 months ago, I saw more then a few Gen 2 around 2004-2006 going for up to £4.5K. Never once did I see an advert saying "new Hybrid battery fitted", and lets face it if you paid £1600 for a new Hyb battery you would splash it in your advert. 

In any case, the Hybrid battery, at least in Gen3 Prius is not sealed, you can replace individual cells, plenty places offering this service for about £70-£80 each cell. I don't know if the Yaris battery is any different, perhaps someone with knowledge can clarify the Yaris Hybrid battery situation ie separate cells or not. 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, mrpj said:

It might be worth noting that Toyota's extended warranty only covers the manual gearbox (according to them). Any other type of transmission doesn't get a mention. Not even in what is not covered.

I have the extended warranty and it is a "Manufacturer equivalent cover". This says to me that it extend the 5 year warranty, as is.

Further, it mentions 'protected parts' which are 'mechanical or electrical part of the protected vehicle which is not an excluded part.

Excluded parts are:

• body panels
  • paintwork
  • Battery - other than HV hybrid ones
  • windows that have impact damage
  • consumable items
  • corroded exhausts
  • wheels that are damaged
  • non-standard Toyota parts
  • any protected part failure due to external impact damage.

Seems fine to me.

It's an expensive do this, running a Toyota within warranty.

£295 for the full service plus the MOT, and I've just renewed with Toyota Insurance.  Not much change from £620 for that lot for a year's motoring.

We've done 6,000miles since we bought her twelve months ago and have spent a similar amount on petrol, making a roundabout figure of 25p per mile - not counting tyres and brakes.

Mick.

19 minutes ago, Mick F said:

I found that Toyota's servicing costs are comparable with other manufacturers when in warranty.

We've had 21 new cars (Nissans, Hondas, Hyundais, Mazdas and Toyotas) and all have been dealer serviced with only three kept outside the new car warranty, but covered by the manufacturer's extended warranty (1 Honda and 2 Mazdas).

The most expensive car for servicing was a Honda Concerto 1.5i bought new in 1994 (the Honda version of the Rover 200). This was when Honda's new car warranty was 2 years and servicing was every 6 months/6,000 miles. Servicing costs were £800 for the three years at 1994-97 prices. Kept for 3.25 years. However, when we part exchanged it, we got £800 more than the equivalent, higher specced Rover 214Sli.

Incidentally, both the Honda and Rover were built at Longbridge. After being built, the Hondas were shipped down to Honda at Swindon to undergo Honda's quality assurance process before distribution to dealers, and if they required rectification, were shipped back to Longbridge, rectified, and the quality assurance process repeated at Swindon.

2 hours ago, Mick F said:

£295 for the full service plus the MOT, and I've just renewed with Toyota Insurance.

That is your choice. You don't have to have it serviced at a Toyota dealer (but it does have to be serviced to their schedule/parts quality if you want to keep the warranty intact) & certainly Toyota Insurance (actual underwriter https://www.aioinissaydowa.eu/en/home.cfm) have never been competitive for me.

Oh yes, I'm fully is agreement with all this.  It's just that when we last had a new car, and also when we've owned pre-owned cars in warranty, it was a long time back and costs have gone up.  The numbers are far higher than I'm used to, so I wanted to quantify it.

Mick.

Just a quick question regarding service interval philosophy.

10,000miles or a year depending which comes first.

Taking the argument to extreme, what happens with the service interval if you do less than 100miles and the car just sits there for 12months unused?  Why change oil and filters etc?  I can understand that things would need checking of course.

Mick.

Probably be a point of discussion between the owner and servicing dealer as to whether any elements of servicing could be excluded. With that scenario there could be additional issues - eg. brake disc corrosion, tyres flat spotting, etc

2 hours ago, Mick F said:

ice interval if you do less than 100miles and the car just sits there for 12months unused?  Why change oil and filters etc?  I can understand that things would need checking of course.

Mick.

Because those are the terms and conditions of the warranty, the car needs to be serviced at 10K or 12 months, whichever is the sooner. No mention of mileage only. If you have an extended warranty, it also has to be serviced in the Toyota network, you cannot take it to an independent, again this is part of the terms and conditions

Kingo :thumbsup: 

All done.

£330.00 for the full service plus the MOT .............. and they washed the car and internally valeted it as well.  Nice!

Some complaints ......... with a wry grin ............

The driver's seat had been moved and it took me ages to get the height and back-forth correct.  The aircon and ventilation had been tinkered with, and the radio had been changed from Radio Four to some strange commercial station. 😂

Good job they didn't move the mirrors.

Mick.

Think yourself lucky. At my last service my GB plate disappeared, of course no-one had seen it or removed it (I suspect the pressure washer did it).

It'll be its fifth birthday at the next service and I'll save myself a couple of hundred quid a year by doing it myself.

2 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

It'll be its fifth birthday at the next service and I'll save myself a couple of hundred quid a year by doing it myself.

At 5 it becomes eligible for the reduced price Essential Care scheme. Should you have an issue in the future where you might be wanting goodwill from Toyota they may take servicing into account.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing

Currently £110 for the Essential Care Silver (Intermediate) service and £190 for the Gold (Full) service.

There is also the £99 service and MOT offer which is now available until December 2019 - 

and I understand for Hybrid owners the £99 deal also includes the Hybrid Battery health check (with warranty)

I'm confused...my car just had its 3 year service and first MOT - £200 the lot!

The £99 offer is for vehicles over 5 years old - the offer is for an Essential Care Silver service and MOT.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:16 PM, Mike J. said:

I have the extended warranty and it is a "Manufacturer equivalent cover". This says to me that it extend the 5 year warranty, as is.

Further, it mentions 'protected parts' which are 'mechanical or electrical part of the protected vehicle which is not an excluded part.

Excluded parts are:

• body panels
  • paintwork
  • battery - other than HV hybrid ones
  • windows that have impact damage
  • consumable items
  • corroded exhausts
  • wheels that are damaged
  • non-standard Toyota parts
  • any protected part failure due to external impact damage.

Seems fine to me.

Not to me.🙂

The mechanical or electrical failure of a protected part. This includes:

• engine components
  • clutch kit (except for wear & tear)
  • gearbox manual transmission
  • front wheel drive unit
  • rear axle
  • prop shaft
  • suspension
  • fuel system
  • diesel injection systems
  • electronic ignition
  • electrics
  • oil leaks
  • cooling system
  • steering
  • braking system
  • turbo charger
  • air conditioning
  • casings

They specifically list "gearbox manual transmission". Therefore, by omission, they do not cover CVT type transmission. Also, by omission, MMT.

Surely, if they were covered, they would be specified?

I'll contact Toyota to get it in writing. If they state CV is covered then I'll eat umble pie.😄