Do Not Sell My Personal Information

‘Check VSC System’, Check Parking Brake System’

Istari

Hi,

Having driven Toyota’s for over 20 years I currently own a 2012 Diesel Toyota Avensis with FSH at Toyata. After around 70k I was getting ‘Check VSC System’ and ‘Check Parking Brake System’ errors, I took the car to my usual Toyota dealer who connected to the ECU and diagnosed a forced regen, I paid £433.79. 

Just under 1000 miles later it happened again, I took the car back in and they diagnosed the same procedure, they asked how I drove the car, I do now travel though some notorious M5 roadworks on my commute to work but otherwise I drive like a grown up. I complained that they clearly hadn’t fixed the fault but they insisted another regen was  required, this was done and lasted over 1k miles before returning. At least I only paid for the diagnostic this time, £108, as I was not happy with their solution. 

I figured out I could clear the errors with a blast down the motorway but knew this was not a proper solution. Knowing what the Toyota dealer would recommend I next tried having the DPF removed and professionally cleaned. This worked for around 2 weeks after which the usual error codes returned. The garage that cleaned the DPF plugged in and got error code P0400 which they believed pointed to the EGR needing cleaning - something they didn’t do. 

After reading this forum I read of a similar problem which was fixed by a ‘Terraclean’, luckily for me there is a Birmingham garage that does this. I booked an appointment and they ended up Terracleaning just the EGR which they confirmed was only operating across 40% of its range and was obviously blocked. After the clean and error code reset the car runs great and the mpg is also visibly better. I now plan to get a full system Terraclean as for £110 this seems a no brainer.  I am immensely relieved to have my car back to normal and now intend to keep it, it was getting too expensive to keep and if I had stuck with the Toyota dealer I’d be bankrupt. The 68 year old mechanic who fixed my car said that many dealer mechanics are more accurately competent technicians, they read a fault code and follow the recommended action. I wonder how many other Diesel owners suffer at the hands of inexperienced garage staff, don’t we all naturally assume the dealership will have the best knowledge of their own vehicles? Well they clearly do not. 

PS The car has been otherwise faultless but the money I saved on car tax has more than been used up fixing the EGR valve. When my cars time has come I won’t be buying another Diesel, or possibly another Toyota. 

Cheers,

Istari

• 5 months later...

Hello. Istari can you pls tell me the garrage where u got your car fixed. 

I got exactly the same problem. Cheers

Hello Abzi,

It was the Bullring Auto-centre, Mill Lane, Birmingham. The EGR was chocked with soot and gunge.  

I would have saved nearly a £Grand if I’d gone there first! Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Hi there,

I am so glad to read that your vehicle is in good health now.

I’d like to know more about what a terraclean is...never heard of it? Can one do this if they do not have any current problems? My other halfs always stressing about his dpf will eventually give him issues?

P.s...this garage is Birmingham...do they issue a reciept after the works completed and how long does it take to carry out?

Hi, I was under £200 for the diagnostic and repair, bargain really. Their website is very good and gives prices for diagnostic checks and Terraclean etc. so there should be no nasty surprises. There is also an explanation of what a Terraclean does. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 9:52 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi there,

I am so glad to read that your vehicle is in good health now.

I’d like to know more about what a terraclean is...never heard of it? Can one do this if they do not have any current problems? My other halfs always stressing about his dpf will eventually give him issues?

P.s...this garage is Birmingham...do they issue a reciept after the works completed and how long does it take to carry out?

Sam, I am surprised you have not heard about Terraclean. The first time I learnt about this was from Wheeler Dealers -  

It can be done on any engine, and done as maintenance. Here is their site - https://www.terraclean.co.uk/

Let us know if you do it.

Konrad