Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 OR 4.3?

pmarley4rh

Hello All,

I'm picking up a 2006 Rav4 XT4 2.0L VVTi on Wednesday. Changing from a 2003 4.2 GX 2.0L VVTi.

Is there a definitive way to tell whether the XT4 is a 4.2 or 4.3?

Many thanks.

They look entirely different. If it's a 4.2 - it will look very much like the 4.2 you have now. The 4.3 is entirely different - doesn't look anything like your 4.2, dashboard is entirely different etc etc - just Google a picture of a 4.3.

2001-2003 Toyota RAV4 L -- 03-16-2012.JPG

06-08 Toyota RAV4 Limited.jpg

Ah, I see.

Thank you chaps, it looks like I've bought a 4.3 then. Confusion for me was when the dealer

stated "it's permanent 4wd, just like your old one". I had thought all the 4.3's started off in 4wd and

switched to 2wd at around 25mph or so, with the "active" part ready to spring into action if it detected

a loss of grip.

This is what I've bought (56 plate):

Rav4 XT4.jpg

Roys motor company then, I have used them to service my cars for the last 25 plus years, they currently look after my Rav, MR2 and Hilux great service .

6 minutes ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

Roys motor company then, I have used them to service my cars for the last 25 plus years, they currently look after my Rav, MR2 and Hilux great service .

Yep, I've used them for a couple of little issues on the 4.2 and while I was in there the other day this one caught my eye. I've only heard good things about Roys.

4 hours ago, pmarley4rh said:

Ah, I see.

Thank you chaps, it looks like I've bought a 4.3 then. Confusion for me was when the dealer

stated "it's permanent 4wd, just like your old one". I had thought all the 4.3's started off in 4wd and

switched to 2wd at around 25mph or so, with the "active" part ready to spring into action if it detected

a loss of grip.

This is what I've bought (56 plate):

Rav4 XT4.jpg

I found a post which stated that it operates in 4WD up to 25 mph IF THE LOCK BUTTON IS PRESSED, and that the computer controls whether 4WD is engaged or not above that speed.  It does not state what happens if the lock button is not pressed below 25 mph, but I would guess that it is computer controlled, as in the above-25 mph case.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:29 PM, IanML said:

I found a post which stated that it operates in 4WD up to 25 mph IF THE LOCK BUTTON IS PRESSED, and that the computer controls whether 4WD is engaged or not above that speed.  It does not state what happens if the lock button is not pressed below 25 mph, but I would guess that it is computer controlled, as in the above-25 mph case.

Thanks Ian, that sounds pretty much like what I've been able to find out. I do wonder whether the 4.3's system (4WD to 2WD) is an improvement on the permanent 4WD of the 4.2?

I think it is an improvement.  But neither is what I would call permanent 4WD. I have noticed with my 4.2 that there has to be a noticeable slip before the rear 2 wheels become engaged, when going through a sandy patch.  If I had a lock button, I could engage it before hitting the sand, and avoid that slipping moment.  I think a better term would be "self-engaging" 4WD.

Whether the computer controlled action is better than the 4.2's "mechanical logic", I couldn't say.  Maybe I'm a cynic, but the former may be cheaper to manufacture.

It is permanent in the sense that there is no control to stop it being in 4WD.  How it works is that the front wheels are always driven, and, if the transfer case detects slip, i.e. the front wheels are turning faster than the back, then  some of the torque is fed to the rear wheels.

To my mind "real" permanent 4WD is when torque is always shared between front and back.