Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Front Brake pads

Ross Mac 22

Hi There, my 65 plate Aygo X is needing new front pads, which i'm planning on replacing myself with after market parts
I've replaced pads on a few different cars over the years but on thse cars you could push the calipers back with a G clamp,
I'm aware that on more modern cars you need to turn the caliper at the same time as you press it in.
Ive also heard rumours that the calipers can only be retracted via computer hook up ( unsure about this one)

My question is

has any one replaced the front pads and if so  are the calipers turned clock wise or anti clockwise during the process and are both sides the same? (ie) drivers side opposite from passengers side
I have read through a good pages of the forums but not found any info, if abyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ross

10 hours ago, Ross Mac 22 said:

Hi There, my 65 plate Aygo X is needing new front pads, which i'm planning on replacing myself with after market parts
I've replaced pads on a few different cars over the years but on thse cars you could push the calipers back with a G clamp,
I'm aware that on more modern cars you need to turn the caliper at the same time as you press it in.
Ive also heard rumours that the calipers can only be retracted via computer hook up ( unsure about this one)

My question is

has any one replaced the front pads and if so  are the calipers turned clock wise or anti clockwise during the process and are both sides the same? (ie) drivers side opposite from passengers side
I have read through a good pages of the forums but not found any info, if abyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ross

I have never come across front calipers that do not just push back.The only ones that have this problem are on the rears & if fitted with electronic hand brake may need diagnostic's.

thanks for reply, should be replacing at weekend so will feedback

cheers

Ross

I agree with @X5Ken's info above, the front caliper pistons should simply push back.

Thanks Alan, appreciate the info

Ross

Just out of curiosity, how many miles have you had from the pads?

there are many videos on the net showing how to change pad and discs on the Aygo and its cousins. Dead easy. I did mine a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry just realised i had comments i hadn't replied to, i got 20000 miles from the set of front pads and there was about 3mm left when i replaced them.

i had watched videos on you tube but they were older models and wasn't convinced the calipers would be the same, turns out they were.
calipers just pushed back in as alan333 and x5ken said.

thanks for replies

Ross

• Thanks 1

I thought my daughter was heavy on the brakes 30,000 miles for her. New pads fitted and lots left on the disc thickness. 

Yes the pads are easy to fit. Why not check you disc thickness while you in there, the min size is on the rotor.

Did you replace the pads and discs with genuine Toyota parts, or others makes?

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I used non Toyota disc and pads. There are so many good ones to chose from. This is a low budget car so parts are cheap any way. I used zimmerman disc and minto pads.