Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T22 rear caliper carrier Bolts

BillyAvensist22

Hello all, 

I am struggling to remove my rear caliper carriers bolts and I am able to find a set of replacement bolts before i can attempt to get these out with a drill. I am looking get my rear brakes disks and pads replaced and the carrier have 2 bolts on the rear which is rusted and seized on, i am looking to get 4 of them for both rear caliper carriers, 

please could someone guide me in the right place to buy these replacement bolts?  im not sure what the size of these are as i've never had these off before, i think it's a 14mm socket. 

would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction as I've not been able to find anywhere that sell these bolts.

thank you !

Hi,.

Had the same problem with my rear carrier bolts, one rounded off, even after using penny fluid, bought a bolt remover set and it managed to get it out.

Have you tried several good soaking with a good penetrating fluid and leaving overnight ?

If you drill the bolt you can get reverse thread extractor tools, but think you need to buy a good strong set, might be easier to cut offthe bolt head and drill/remove the remaining stud  on the bench rather than struggle under the car and risk damaging things like the ABs or pipes..

The bolts will probably be a Toyota only part as if like mine they have a washer like shoulder on the bolt head and the thread is not a standard metric and are high torque;  think they were £1.71 each from Mr.T, got the impression they were a regular item.

Hi Oldcodger,

Many thanks for your advice, 

I managed to get a set from the local toyota dealer for £7.20 for all 4 of them.

now will be attempting to extract these buggers out!

On 8/8/2018 at 2:10 PM, BillyAvensist22 said:

Hi Oldcodger,

Many thanks for your advice, 

I managed to get a set from the local toyota dealer for £7.20 for all 4 of them.

now will be attempting to extract these buggers out!

For information.. these bolts also come in a kit that you can buy off ebay for the brake caliper slider pins (and rubbers & grease) for about £10.00. The caliper bolts can be a devil to remove because they're invariably very tight (probably because of metal adhesive)  & the pathetic bolt head is not designed to make life easy for you either. Why on earth do Toyota decide on dimple head bolts for this application ?  Seriously ? My advice is to soak your caliper bolts in WD40 for an hour or more and then have a go. If the bolt head rounds off a bit, STOP and try hammering (hard) something like a 1/4" whitworth or 17/32" AF  over it and try again. The bugger will give up eventually.