Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Cabin noise


m456an
 Share

Recommended Posts

It does seem to be a little noisy and a jerky ride, I know the glove box will rattle as it is not held by a screw. Whereas the avensis is so much more quiet and a smother ride. Though when I open the windows the noise seems to be less. Is this normal for a small car?

Though the 2018 hybrid is also supposed to be noisy?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/05/25/2018-toyota-yaris-review.html&ved=2ahUKEwi80JmmutvcAhVBzhoKHS3AAdAQFjASegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2uU6fdv9haWzuVHzD7eRnB&ampcf=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bear in mind that the Yaris won't be as well insulated from noise as the Avensis - cars from different market sectors - and the review highlighted is an American review, so standards, expectations, and specs may be different to those of Europe.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Bear in mind that the Yaris won't be as well insulated from noise as the Avensis - cars from different market sectors - and the review highlighted is an American review, so standards, expectations, and specs may be different to those of Europe.

It would explain why the cabin noise goes when I open the windows which would allow the noise to leak out instead of being contained in the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A car like Yaris will definitely have louder road noise and generally less comfort when compared to a class like Avensis. But at some point even newer smaller cars have sufficient comfort so if you feel the noise is just too much you can start by checking your tyres and wheel bearings. There might be something else that would make a loud rumbling/whining noise but I can't quite remember now.

 

I was dealing with a bad front left wheel bearing recently and the general sound was awful compared to a new bearing, at first I didn't even understand how it can be so quiet, thought I had a blocked ear or something.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Byzii said:

A car like Yaris will definitely have louder road noise and generally less comfort when compared to a class like Avensis. But at some point even newer smaller cars have sufficient comfort so if you feel the noise is just too much you can start by checking your tyres and wheel bearings. There might be something else that would make a loud rumbling/whining noise but I can't quite remember now.

 

I was dealing with a bad front left wheel bearing recently and the general sound was awful compared to a new bearing, at first I didn't even understand how it can be so quiet, thought I had a blocked ear or something.

I had a bad wheel bearing in my other car a focus, it does tend to get worse gradually without you noticing. But I do not think it is that I would notice it more when slowing down.

It does have 2 good Year tubeless tyres at back and cheap tubeless tyres at the front. Whereas the avensis has 4 cheap tubeless rotational tyres. So... ?

I noticed the rear suspension on the yaris is very simple it seems to have no bushings but has bushings at front which I lubricated which did really reduce a whining sound.

The only thing I have not touched are the spark plugs as it only has done 61 000 miles, and probably will have Iridium ones unless someone has changed them I plan to change them at 80 000 miles with Iridium tt denso ones as with the avensis which are halve the price of the Iridium ones and good for 100 000 miles.

Though during the car recall the dealership did a health check and one of the things was engine noise, which it passed.

So I am guessing the avensis has better sound insulation and suspension.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi. If it is a wheel bearing the noise would worsen when cornering as this would put more weight on the particular wheel. Going around a left bend would put the weight onto the right side etc. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob110023 said:

Hi. If it is a wheel bearing the noise would worsen when cornering as this would put more weight on the particular wheel. Going around a left bend would put the weight onto the right side etc. 

I will test again, with some tight turns. I usually am very casual with turns and sometimes use 2 lanes a bad habit that I probably picked up when front spring went on my focus.....it was a money black hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it is the first time I have a driven such a small engine, it is probably louder because it has to work harder.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, davekench said:

You could always add extra underlay/carpet to absorb the noise!

 

I think they only sound proof luxury cars, looks like hard work:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Solved.

Tried cataclean and that improved acceleration, pushed to over 50 on a 40 limit road, lots of reving up hills. Better and quieter running.

Also took out the ngk as look worn out, and put some twin tip Iridium. Car runs quieter now. The old plugs show no problems with engine.15350422849833200996297318945200.thumb.jpg.e5be4c22d4ed83ef2e0bf3975a9518cf.jpgc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership