Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin noise

m456an

It does seem to be a little noisy and a jerky ride, I know the glove box will rattle as it is not held by a screw. Whereas the avensis is so much more quiet and a smother ride. Though when I open the windows the noise seems to be less. Is this normal for a small car?

Though the 2018 hybrid is also supposed to be noisy?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/05/25/2018-toyota-yaris-review.html&ved=2ahUKEwi80JmmutvcAhVBzhoKHS3AAdAQFjASegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2uU6fdv9haWzuVHzD7eRnB&ampcf=1

Bear in mind that the Yaris won't be as well insulated from noise as the Avensis - cars from different market sectors - and the review highlighted is an American review, so standards, expectations, and specs may be different to those of Europe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Bear in mind that the Yaris won't be as well insulated from noise as the Avensis - cars from different market sectors - and the review highlighted is an American review, so standards, expectations, and specs may be different to those of Europe.

It would explain why the cabin noise goes when I open the windows which would allow the noise to leak out instead of being contained in the car.

A car like Yaris will definitely have louder road noise and generally less comfort when compared to a class like Avensis. But at some point even newer smaller cars have sufficient comfort so if you feel the noise is just too much you can start by checking your tyres and wheel bearings. There might be something else that would make a loud rumbling/whining noise but I can't quite remember now.

I was dealing with a bad front left wheel bearing recently and the general sound was awful compared to a new bearing, at first I didn't even understand how it can be so quiet, thought I had a blocked ear or something.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Byzii said:

A car like Yaris will definitely have louder road noise and generally less comfort when compared to a class like Avensis. But at some point even newer smaller cars have sufficient comfort so if you feel the noise is just too much you can start by checking your tyres and wheel bearings. There might be something else that would make a loud rumbling/whining noise but I can't quite remember now.

I was dealing with a bad front left wheel bearing recently and the general sound was awful compared to a new bearing, at first I didn't even understand how it can be so quiet, thought I had a blocked ear or something.

I had a bad wheel bearing in my other car a focus, it does tend to get worse gradually without you noticing. But I do not think it is that I would notice it more when slowing down.

It does have 2 good Year tubeless tyres at back and cheap tubeless tyres at the front. Whereas the avensis has 4 cheap tubeless rotational tyres. So... ?

I noticed the rear suspension on the yaris is very simple it seems to have no bushings but has bushings at front which I lubricated which did really reduce a whining sound.

The only thing I have not touched are the spark plugs as it only has done 61 000 miles, and probably will have Iridium ones unless someone has changed them I plan to change them at 80 000 miles with Iridium tt denso ones as with the avensis which are halve the price of the Iridium ones and good for 100 000 miles.

Though during the car recall the dealership did a health check and one of the things was engine noise, which it passed.

So I am guessing the avensis has better sound insulation and suspension.

Hi. If it is a wheel bearing the noise would worsen when cornering as this would put more weight on the particular wheel. Going around a left bend would put the weight onto the right side etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob110023 said:

Hi. If it is a wheel bearing the noise would worsen when cornering as this would put more weight on the particular wheel. Going around a left bend would put the weight onto the right side etc. 

I will test again, with some tight turns. I usually am very casual with turns and sometimes use 2 lanes a bad habit that I probably picked up when front spring went on my focus.....it was a money black hole.

I guess it is the first time I have a driven such a small engine, it is probably louder because it has to work harder.

You could always add extra underlay/carpet to absorb the noise!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, davekench said:

You could always add extra underlay/carpet to absorb the noise!

I think they only sound proof luxury cars, looks like hard work:

• 2 weeks later...

Solved.

Tried cataclean and that improved acceleration, pushed to over 50 on a 40 limit road, lots of reving up hills. Better and quieter running.

Also took out the ngk as look worn out, and put some twin tip Iridium. Car runs quieter now. The old plugs show no problems with engine.15350422849833200996297318945200.thumb.jpg.e5be4c22d4ed83ef2e0bf3975a9518cf.jpgc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links