Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 RAV4 Giant emissions

torry400

I recently had the exhaust system replaced (June 2018) complete with catalytic converter. It has just been MOT's and failed. The garage that carried out the MOT says that the cat "is not man enough for the job" and should be bigger. The garage that replaced the cat bought the correct after market one as identified by the parts factor that sold it.

Is it possible that there is some reason other than the cat for the failure?

What were the results of the emissions test? If, for example the fail was as a result of high HC's then this has nothing to do with the cat. You should have had an MOT Emissions Test Result sheet with the fail sheet. What were the CO and HC results in the fast idle and natural idle tests. The Cat on this car bolts on to the front of the engine and it's covered in a heat shield - costs upwards of £200 + fitting. It's a fixed size - was this the unit that was replaced and what was the reason for replacing? This model usually passes the emissions test with ease  (often by a factor of three better than spec!). Is the check engine light on the dash on or off with the engine running?

Ignore the last sentence - not relevant to your model.

2 hours ago, gjnorthall said:

What were the results of the emissions test? If, for example the fail was as a result of high HC's then this has nothing to do with the cat. You should have had an MOT Emissions Test Result sheet with the fail sheet. What were the CO and HC results in the fast idle and natural idle tests. The Cat on this car bolts on to the front of the engine and it's covered in a heat shield - costs upwards of £200 + fitting. It's a fixed size - was this the unit that was replaced and what was the reason for replacing? This model usually passes the emissions test with ease  (often by a factor of three better than spec!). Is the check engine light on the dash on or off with the engine running?

'G' was that a genuine Toyota CAT for £200..?  My local Toyota main dealer wanted £1030 for a CAT on my 98 Rav4 last year...?  It seems that Toyota are doing everything they can to get these older Rav 4's scrapped so we have to go buy new ones.  I would have thought that Toyota would support older models with spares at reasonable prices.  Perhaps not, eh!  "Business is business my boy...!"

£200 would be for a type approved aftermarket cat. You can actually get a cat for the 4.1 for less than £50 - very suspect! Stick to a well known brand such as BM Catalysts.

Parts supply is big business for car manufacturers and pricing is arbitrary. It would probably cost 5 times the showroom cost to construct a car from parts! With a few exceptions - it's possible to keep older Toyotas running for years using much cheaper aftermarket parts.

It will be interesting to see the emissions from the vehicle in question - the Rav4.1 has a more generous emissions spec in the Mot Annex List but it wouldn't be unknown for a 4.1 to be failed based on just the basic emissions test. It shouldn't really happen because the MOT emissions software should guide the tester through the process.