Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel change required (Photos included)

Raj007

Dear Experts,

I bought a Toyota Auris 1.4 D4D (with ~120k km, year 2008) two years ago.

Breakdown:

All went well until last week when it suddenly stopped after a ***** and I couldn't change the gear.

Preliminary issues:

1. IF I drive above 30kmph in second gear, I hear some rattling sound. Similarly, If I drive more that 50kmph in 3rd gear I again hear rattling.

2. Pickup is generally less.

3. When changing first to second gear I hear some squeaking sound or facing grinding resistance.

After the breakdown, Insurance vehicle towed and took it to the Toyota main dealer.

Initially they said there is a problem in the clutch assembly and flywheel. Two days later, they mentioned that bearings in the gearbox also needs to be  replaced.

The bill is unexpected it is ~2000+450 (VAT). Of which major components were: a)  13 man hours lead to euros 800, b) fly wheel euros 350 and Clutch Disc assembly euros 200 and (d) Clutch cover assembly euro 100. Bearings in the gear box costs around 450 euros. 

Please find the status of the parts in the images attached. I am a bit convinced about the replacement of the clutch.

Query:

1. Is it necessary to replace the fly wheel ? Can't we resurface the flywheel by machining the surface a bit ? Is it also because the showrooms doesn't usually have lathe, they prefer to replace the flywheel ?

Appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance.

IMG-1400.JPG

IMG-1401.JPG

The flywheel is a dual mass type and is advisable to change it when a new clutch is being fitted, it possibly could last 10 miles or 10000 miles if they put it back in but I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay them to fit a new flywheel a week or two later? 

Okay thanks for your prompt response. 

Good day.