Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Techsream Codes and what to do

Wheel2Turn

7 hours ago, gjnorthall said:

It's obviously your decision but I'd have a high degree of confidence that disconnecting the battery won't give any problems. In any event the day may come when the battery dies etc etc. If it's any comfort I had a 4.2 which came only with one non-original non-remote key. The remote keys I subsequently got were therefore clones of clones and there was never an issue in disconnecting the battery. 

However since you've shown that the immobiliser functions correctly with both keys, it wouldn't be out of order to disconnect the immobiliser light - it must be distracting to have a red flashing light when driving at night.

I so want to do it lol

You are right in everything you say and thank you for your help.

My rav have got a Halfords Battery so it must of been changed at some point before I brought it.

Its just what I've been reading about cars engines not starting is stopping me from disconnecting it. Out of 10 how sure are you it would start if you don't mind me asking.

That's what I was thinking of doing was to disconnect the light, I have the alram light that flashes when I lock the car at night.

Thank you again for all your help nice one 👍

On newer cars with clever electronics there are many issues associated with disconnecting batteries. For example on some automatics, if the Battery is disconnected in any position other than P or N the electronics will stick in the inhibit mode when the Battery is reconnected and the car won’t start until you go through a programming routine. Similarity some ECUs will go into a safe mode on disconnection and it’s then not just a simple case of reconnecting the Battery.

One of the positives of the 4.2 is that it’s 20 year old technology and things are pretty simple - there are no systems that require resetting when the battery is reconnected (you don’t even need to enter a radio code!)

Car ECUs are self learning and when the battery is disconnected, stored values are lost and the ECU reverts to factory settings. The car may behave a little different for a short period whilst the ECU relearns.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gjnorthall said:

On newer cars with clever electronics there are many issues associated with disconnecting batteries. For example on some automatics, if the battery is disconnected in any position other than P or N the electronics will stick in the inhibit mode when the battery is reconnected and the car won’t start until you go through a programming routine. Similarity some ECUs will go into a safe mode on disconnection and it’s then not just a simple case of reconnecting the battery.

One of the positives of the 4.2 is that it’s 20 year old technology and things are pretty simple - there are no systems that require resetting when the battery is reconnected (you don’t even need to enter a radio code!)

Car ECUs are self learning and when the battery is disconnected, stored values are lost and the ECU reverts to factory settings. The car may behave a little different for a short period whilst the ECU relearns.

Perhaps that's what I been reading about is the automatics and I've got it all mixed up in me head so to speak.

Everything you have said makes sense and I agree with what your saying.

When i brought the car from a car sales men, He was a bit offish with me after I paid for the car.

What happened was I asked about did the car came with two working keys, he said yes, But all he gave me was one working key and blade key,I know I should of checked it before hand but at the time I didn't think to. When I went back to confronted him about it his attitude changed and he said it's my word against his.

I did a complete check on the car before I brought it even paid the AA to do a check to see if it was stolen etc all come back clear and okay.

So the first thing I did was get a key cut and a fob, The blade he gave me had the wrong chip in it that's what the guy at Timpson said to me.

So this key have gave me nothing but trouble and it's planted a seed in my head with do I don't I disconnect the Battery lol

I think the light may of been like it when I brought it.

It's my first Rav4 I've owned and I am very pleased with it.

I done all the research on the ravs before hand but over looked the immobiliser light and the key.

So I don't know if the ECU have ever been changed or doctored or if the sales men knows something I don't.

I see your from wales snap 

Thank you again butty 😁 lol 

Well, if you don't want to disconnect the Battery, just cover the lamp with a piece of black insulating tape.

7 hours ago, IanML said:

Well, if you don't want to disconnect the battery, just cover the lamp with a piece of black insulating tape.

I Could do that, thank you again for all of your advice 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links