Do Not Sell My Personal Information

water pump pink gunk

monkeydave

what do you guys think of this gunk stuff around the waterpump join i have just noticed today, the water pump has been off when they replaced the faulty chain under warranty in march and its done over 3000 miles since.

i checked the coolant and over about 1200 miles and 7 weeks the level has gone down in the amount from the first pic to the second

its going in for its 2nd service in mid october and i will be mentioning it, i just hope they put the water pump back on ok and not damaged the seal or something

could it just be settling in and a bit of leakage in the beginning and it will settle down or will it get worse

thanks guys

DSC01718.JPG

DSC01662.JPG

DSC01713_-_20_deg_c.JPG

Edited by monkeydave
adding text

That ia a serious coolant leak. Don't fancy a long journey in it. Garage to rectify FOC.

thanks for your reply

it doesnt have seemed to used much coolant over the 3000 miles since the timing chain has been replaced and today is the first time i have noticed the pink gunk, and i travel 130 miles round trip once per week and general stuff the rest of the week, it has been sat on the motorway in the hot weather in traffic over the last few weeks for an hour with fans on full too, might be too much pressure and leaked a little ?

i would have thought they would have replaced the seal when they refitted the water pump but i bet they reused the original one, getting fed up with this car now

The reservoir is probably half empty because they are reusing the old coolant and the other half they spilt and that has crystalised. 

To me both pictures of coolant level seem the same but the second picture... Maybe the car is not parked straight, it seems at an angle.

Edited by m456an
grammar weak ''*->>`{€~_^¤\%\£

4 hours ago, m456an said:

The reservoir is probably half empty because they are reusing the old coolant and the other half they spilt and that has crystalised. 

To me both pictures of coolant level seem the same but the second picture... Maybe the car is not parked straight, it seems at an angle.

the coolant is lower (look at the pencil mark) and its just the angle of the camera not the car, the faulty cam chain job was done in march and i havent noticed any pink gunk until now but i topped up the coolant 1200 miles and 8 weeks ago and the water pump is on the oposite side of the engine to the expansion tank

look at the state of it underneath as well! and this was fitted from a main dealer and they didnt even use a replacement gasket just some crap from a tube (unless you can only get a new gasket with a new waterpump that is) 

im having to juggle about to find time to get this back into the dealer to be rectified, but can you guess what will happen? oh yes the first day they will look at it for 5 mins and then order a gasket and wait till the next day to fit it leaving no time to check for leaks, so two days for a simple job

really cheesed off with shoddy work, i expect this from crappy garages not main dealers

DSC01742.JPG

DSC01751.JPG

DSC01754.JPG

well Madasafish i just been down to the dealers with these pics and guess what they said,    "what makes you think you have a leak?" well the lower coolant and the pink crust isnt enough ?   really ? and they fitted me in the middle of sept so a month of this and i need to use motorways i just hope it doesnt get worse. i bet they could fit me in tomorrow for a service

i really dont like this dealer and all the other dealers are the same company and are far away too, really pathetic service

and i have my £295 service in mid october, i dont want to give these clowns any more money so i will either ditch this car for a jazz before the service or find another garage for the service

If there is a leak it must be an incredibly tiny one if over the course of 1200 miles you lost such a marginal amount of coolant.
As the pink crust is dried out, I'd perhaps remove that crusty stuff and see if it reforms.

Or maybe just slap a chunk of cardboard under the car and see if any drops turn up. Although looking at how tiny that leak is I doubt you'll get anything.
Personally, I wouldn't be bothered.

thanks for your reply

there is no drippage on the drivaway and i never noticed the pink stuff before last week and i do check my oil and coolant regularly, when the weather was really hot the other week my car was stuck in motorway traffic for an hour with the fan on max so that might have put too much pressure on the gasket or something (if you dont know my timing chain was replaced as the tensioner was faulty and they removed and refitted the origional water pump back on when doing the job)

the level on the bottle was at the same time of day and outside temp on the same driveway and overnight cold

i have had other cars that always finds their favourite coolant level and if you added any more they vent it out the expansion tank hole, seeing as the yaris doesnt have the vent hole in the tank it might have found another way out

i did top up the coolant 100ml before the hot weather to get it to the first level (it doesnt take much in that expansion tank to raise the level)

it doesnt seem to leak with round town driving but might start to drip out slowly at motorway speeds that put more pressure inside the cooling system, i will keep my eye on it till it goes in for inspection

it is a scary sight all that pink crusty stuff and goes all down the top side of the water pump

We have had our d4d for err 12 years. After about 3-4 years of ownership, we had a bit of pink gunk round the water pump. I checked and thought it came from one of the hoses so tightened the hose clip. Nothing has happened  in the next 8 years.

40 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

We have had our d4d for err 12 years. After about 3-4 years of ownership, we had a bit of pink gunk round the water pump. I checked and thought it came from one of the hoses so tightened the hose clip. Nothing has happened  in the next 8 years.

thanks for replying

i think it could have been the gasket with that hot weather in traffic as it isnt the original factory fitment, i will keep my eye on it, there is no liquid just this pink and white crusty gunk,

its really strange because its been refitted for 5 months and 3000 miles and its just appeared now

David Hi,

With the engine cold, rinse the pink residue off, then keep a check on fluid level. I think that if fluid was up to 'FULL' mark and on a really hot day has maybe vented, and then the fan coming ON has sprayed the fluid around. I'd keep the dealer booking date until you're satisfied wether it's still leaking or not.

14 minutes ago, Bomber209 said:

David Hi,

With the engine cold, rinse the pink residue off, then keep a check on fluid level. I think that if fluid was up to 'FULL' mark and on a really hot day has maybe vented, and then the fan coming ON has sprayed the fluid around. I'd keep the dealer booking date until you're satisfied wether it's still leaking or not.

cheers for replying

it never reaches the full but on my previous cars if the engine was hot and the fluid went over the middle of high/low it would find its own level i just hope this is the case with this, i dont know where the weep hole on the water pump is on yaris but seeing as it is all along the top of the pump id assumed it was getting through the gasket

ive never experienced crusty gunk before on other cars, if it leaked it just leaked but ive never had pink coolant before just green and blue

also have you noticed the rusty hue on the water pump pulley that used to be shiney silver so something has been spraying about

David Hi,

The cap on the expansion tank has a pressure relief in built, and should normally vent through a small tube that dumps it below the engine. If this tube is dislodged it could spray anywhere. The shiny now rusty pulley should clean up in time by the Aux Drive Belt, as it's rusty as a result of being sprayed with water based fluid.

cheers

just worrying that the dealer said "what makes you think i have a leak?" and they didnte seem concerned about the pink gunk, for a main dealer that is really bad i might say on par with arnorld clark 

15 hours ago, monkeydave said:

for a main dealer that is really bad i might say on par with arnorld clark 

I have used 2 different AC Toyota dealers & both are fine. There is also a 3rd that I suspect is or will be fine as I know their new service manager of old.

On the other hand I was very unimpressed by an AC Ford & Mazda dealership.

• 3 weeks later...

well i have been monitoring the coolant usage and it has not gone down any more since i noticed the pink crust and now i noticed that the pink crust has dissapeared (probably dried up and broken off) so i think i will cancel my appointment at the dealer, very strange indeed

DSC01890.JPG

DSC01777.JPG

Photo1789.jpg

It happens in central heating systems when new or when parts are replaced. Slight weeping from a joint which slows down and stops due to a build up of limescale/other solids in water..

I agree with above said, i think it's just leftover from replacing the pump, just top if off and drive. I have it similar on mine, but they did top the fluid.

4 hours ago, furtula said:

I agree with above said, i think it's just leftover from replacing the pump, just top if off and drive. I have it similar on mine, but they did top the fluid.

the only thing about that is that it wasnt there over 5 months and over 3000 miles after the job was done and then it went down a little in the expansion tank and i looked at the pump and the long lines of pink were there and i never saw them on any of my regular oil/coolant checks so it is a mystery where it came from

6 hours ago, Madasafish said:

It happens in central heating systems when new or when parts are replaced. Slight weeping from a joint which slows down and stops due to a build up of limescale/other solids in water..

i hope your right, the pump was removed when they changed the timing chain for a faulty tensioner and it does have a metal gasket, i have cancelled a special trip to the dealer and will ask them to give it a once over next month on its second service

• 1 month later...

2nd service been done and pump replaced foc, mechanic said he could see leak on the video they send you but it was pink gunk that had dried

still feel a lot better having a new water pump on though with a new gasket and no black sealant around it, you dont use any sealant with a metal gasket