Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scratched Windscreen

Steve@Aberdeen

Has anyone in a recent Rav4 noticed their windscreen is easily scratched?  Not from the wipers but mine suffered a lot back in the winter; I only once had to take a scraper to it but, afterwards, the screen had lots of fine scratches - I suspect most should polish out but there are a couple that look too deep.  The scraper was clean (I always wipe the blade with my fingers before use to ensure there is no grit there); my current guess is that the ice was, somehow, grit laden (though that would be the first time in 14 years parked in my drive) or the glass is softer than normal (possibly over-tempered in manufacture).  Next winter will probably tell which.  I've tried reporting it to Toyota and they're not interested.  So, is this an isolated case or more common?

2 hours ago, Steve@Aberdeen said:

I've tried reporting it to Toyota and they're not interested.

I think you will find that they have already banked your money LOL

Probably grit contaminating the ice... you just smeared it over the glass with the scraper.  I take a chance when my windscreen is iced up and chuck a pan of 'warm' water over it to melt the ice and wash it off.  Danger is... you can crack the glass that way so I'm told, with the traumatic chage in tempreture; but never had it happen yet!

Grit is a possibility but it's the first time it's happened in over 40 years of driving and clearing ice off windscreens.

I guess like everything else these days, they just don't make them like they used to. 

• 3 years later...

Just come back to the forum - away because my Rav4h has done everything I've asked of it.  Back because I'm starting to look for my next one 🙂

Anyway, a late update this post - my dealer responded and got their tech manager to take a look.  Shortly after I got a call to take it in and they replaced the screen.  I've not put a scraper to this one - when I've needed to clear ice it gets plenty of de-icer (with night-before ice spray if it looks like freezing on an early start morning)!  

• Like 2

Glad to hear you had a favourable outcome.