Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why we love the Estima

TP49

I agree with Tony...a separate tent or awning would work maybe...and Bumble have a place in Peterborough.

I use mine more as a day van...but for two of us we could just about get away with sleeping in it.

Thanks for this info RUToyota and TP49. Much appreciated. 

I was thinking of putting a board across the front two seats for the 10 year old and the other two of us would go in the back. 

An awning is a great idea. I'll check it out. Thanks. 

I'd be using the car mainly for driving about and sleeping in the car for one night stay overs. We've got a bell tent for longer stays. It's a shame the nearest one is so far away so can't just pop and see one. 

Might be worth having a look at Andys imports in Norfolk.

http://www.andysimports.co.uk/...

I've always preferred the style of the Estima but Alphards may suit you better as they have just a little more room...depends on your budget too of course.

• Thanks 1

On 3 June 2020 at 3:13 PM, Bebox said:

Hi there everyone, 

I'm looking to purchase an Estima lpg (love Toyotas) for me and my two daughters to sleep in. I've seen a 7 seater close by and wondered whether it would be possible to sleep in it even with the gap in the seat at the back. Getting a board and some comfy foam should be enough to sort it? I'm new to all this so am unsure. 

I understand an 8 seater would be a better choice, it's just there aren't many coming up that are close enough for us to visit (we're in Norfolk). 

Any info on this would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, 

Be

Going back to your original post, I was going to buy a self inflating mattress rather than foam as foam would be very bulky to store. And use the awning for storing extras, with a bit of thought you should be able to get a reasonable nights sleep and enjoy the Estima.😀

• Thanks 1

Ironically I was looking at exactly the same Tony..and there are inflatable car mattresses that go across the seats that the OP might consider useful for the smaller kids...plenty on eBay.

I guess there's always a way .!

• Thanks 1

Hi Neil, yes there's always a solution, the main reason I suggested Bumble Campers website to the OP was to get some different ideas about what they could use, and not about actually buying a campervan. Now doubt they will work something out that suits their needs.

• Thanks 1

I'd love an Alphard. They are slightly out of my budget. 

I'll check out the inflatable mattresses. Hadn't thought to look for a specific car one. Good idea. 

Thanks again for your inputs. 😊

Super great news... 

I've finally purchased an esti today. I can properly join the club now. 

She's a 2002 estima t, automatic, lpg converted, 8 seater with a brilliant bluetooth audio and navigation system, and dvd player. Engine is tidy, well looked after by the previous mechanic owner. No rust just a small bit of work needing to be done on the bodywork. She drives like a dream. I'm so very chuffed to find her and finally have an esti.

So, to make her camping sorted... What is the best method to cover the windows please? What would be the best solution (those sucker on reflective covers? What on earth are they called?) 

Also had a stroke of luck the other day when my neighbour dropped round two blowup mattresses out of the blue. So the comfy non bulky sleeping is sorted. 

Just need to find a good awning attachment. Is it better to get one for the side door or the back door? 

What else would you do? 

Thanks in advance. Be

20200611_194736.jpg

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
  • Like 1

Well done Be looks a tidy motor, I would have the awning on the side personally you can buy Magnets to attach it to the car, Similar looking to a dent puller, window pads are a good option as you have said. I didn't have tha problem as my Esti has curtains. You might want a camping stove I think the type that uses an aerosol can are easy to clean and store ideal size as well.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations...sounds nice....looks tidy.

It's all about budget and compromise..and need..!.....awning position.?.. like Tony, I'd prefer the side, but it's what suits you best....just research and take your time..the "wrong" awning can be a costly mistake.

I bought  a tailgate awning intially..but soon realised it's limitations..i.e. the tailgate having to be open permanently to support it.

Sold it without loss fortunately....as Tony suggests, a magnet fixing is easy.

I'm looking now at a quick erect utility tent that can go side or back..and can be driven away from.

I had some curtains made up and simply fitted them on normal wires.

Juts have a good look around the campervan accessories market place and see what stuff is there....there are so many options.

I use a simple single burner stove/hob (powered by the aerosol type gas cannister) and a decent coolbox.

A good "mattress" is essential..the seats fold flat-ish but not flat enough to give a comfortable sleep..I'd choose the self inflating type.

I also invested in a  toilet tent and a chemical toilet (Kampakhazi type)..even more valuable now with many facilities being closed...or having to be shared with many others..something that's a bit riskier now with covid 19 still around..I'd rather have my own facilities.

I also have a 12v shower which is handy for a quick wash.

Have a look at this online magazine..some really good stuff to read about.

https://campfiremag.co.uk/

These may be of interest to you.?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LaLoona-Universal-Protection-Drawstring-UV-Protection/dp/B01I8KDWE4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywo

Good luck with whatever you choose..and wherever you go.;!!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So. I already have my Estima for a year and I Love it. Best car I ever had. I was dreaming about Estima for good 5 years and was worried that car is imported, I might have problems with servicing, insurance and etc. But after mayor of London introduced new LE zone I started to think that this is a Call from high up and I need to move on on my way to Estima. Love it from day 1. During this year of ownership  I already replaced stereo for Android unit, installed front and rear cameras, curtains, cruise control, leather steering wheel,multi-function steering control, modified tail lights, eye brows , de chrome and de Badge on tailgate. And more to come.

Have a nice day Estima owners.😉

10FB020B-7FB2-4286-AC4F-9E7233F61785.jpeg

C05AEF0A-4203-49B8-91DE-7B5AE39C4406.jpeg

F664801E-7CA1-4041-BF68-91885AE30F4A.jpeg

6F94AB8F-3091-4CEF-8E39-2FD63BBDB59C.jpeg

B3E968A7-6288-4BB8-9D99-42781E7D0B2C.jpeg

988F1696-FB49-4092-973D-B42F2C4AFBBB.jpeg

Hi, i'm glad to see there is a sub section for Estimas. I bought my first Estima 2 years ago (the X reg one in the pic) from a friend as i thought it would be good and roomy for carrying stuff around for my wife's charity even tho i knew it needed a head gasket. Another 'friend' said he could fix it so i bought it. I got the original head reconditioned at a cost of £600, new cams and 12 new valves. The head has been fitted but i'm still getting water in the oil. I can't go back to the friend who fitted it because he had a nervous breakdown as he was fitting it after his son got killed in a car crash, and he's still not right. So it is sat in this industrial estate in Rhyl, North Wales. I had it towed there and i instantly loved the high driving position and smooth ride. I've never driven this one under it's own power.

I was using my Honda to do the charity collections and one day i called at a house with enough goods to fill the car with my wife. We got talking to him and his wife and i said i liked his Toyota. He had an Estima in his drive which he said he hasn't driven for two years as he prefers his Citroen Mobility car. He said he can't get rid of it as no one he knows wants it as it's an import. He and his wife had a chat while we loaded up the car, he went into the house, came out with the keys and log book and said "you can have it for all the good work you are doing"! My wife and i were gobsmacked at this so i arranged an MOT and i drove it there. I sailed through with advisories for cracks in the tyres and rusty discs. The MOTer said that rust will soon run off. That is the Areas 54 reg in the pictures. The pink one is not mine, but it is my wall poster.

105969439_1234666000210994_3650366291566554849_n.jpg

107629872_294794301719557_7050069899279041212_n.jpg

108154856_2707412816181365_7361468382180423207_n.jpg

109166535_590678844970298_5496862834823242320_n.jpg

Pink Estima.jpg

Wow...some gift....but well done you...enjoy it..they are a briliant vehicle.