Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corrosion on bugs, pug 107 on a 2007 plate

kaliope

So far I thought the bug has been rust-free.....I've been mistaken

Lets be clear on this, the Joint Venture between Toyota and PSA make the Aygo/C1/107/108, not Toyota.

The company is Toyota Peugeot Citroen Automobiles - PSA own 50% and Toyota own 50%.

Most manufacturers have a 10-year corrosion guarantee.  It's made it to 14 years. Not bad going.

Whatever your viewpoint, you have to admit that anti-corrosion procedures during the manufacturing process of all cars have come on leaps and bounds in the past few dacades. When I was in the trade I remember carrying out rust repairs to vehicles only three years old!  Then it would not be uncommon for an eleven year old car to require 'major surgery' in the form of welding, replacement panels and re-spray.

Just an addition to the above. We used to offer rust protection treatments to cars. We'd treat the vehicle with 'Waxoyl' on the underside, take off the rear wheels and drill into the rear of the sills and spray in there too. Just shows have poor things were then. I can't remember doing it very often, but it was definitely something which customers thought necessary enough to pay for. We'd also underseal cars. that included spraying the underside and into all the arches.

I used to do regular anti-corrosion maintenance on my cars. It had to be done. Nowadays no one ever gives it a second thought and that they don't really have to is a good thing.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:12 AM, paulie b said:

Just an addition to the above. We used to offer rust protection treatments to cars. We'd treat the vehicle with 'Waxoyl' on the underside, take off the rear wheels and drill into the rear of the sills and spray in there too. Just shows have poor things were then. I can't remember doing it very often, but it was definitely something which customers thought necessary enough to pay for. We'd also underseal cars. that included spraying the underside and into all the arches.

I used to do regular anti-corrosion maintenance on my cars. It had to be done. Nowadays no one ever gives it a second thought and that they don't really have to is a good thing.

In some countries (Sweden, Canada etc) we are still doing all that you mention since the salt used on the roads during winter make our cars rust super fast. Only the compounds used have been changed.

Would have been interesting to see what the other sill is actually like, rather than being told there is no corrosion.

Could the damage on the nearside sill be due to untreated stone chips?

Do a search for dinnitrol kits, seems the better corrosion protection and seems to be widely used in Europe.

here in Poland, they use tonnes of salt in winter, so one's vehicle needs to be well anti-rust protected. I thought mine was.

Here's how I used to underseal my own cars. I'd clean the underside/inside the wheel arches to get rid of all the dirt etc. I'd then put two coats of red lead paint on (I guess that will be banned now) That would be followed by two coats of brush applied underseal. As Waxoyl was expensive I put used engine oil into the sills. I'd then finish off by coating the brake pipes and handbrake cable with grease. It was time consuming but very effective.

I have also used the old oil/grease trick. Basically instead of underseal, you mix used engine oil and grease to form a paste of sorts then apply that. It was the poor man's method but nonetheless effective. I guess it wouldn't be very 'right on' with with environmental lobby though!

As everything else, the best cure is prevention. When things start to rot, you're forever playing catch up. If my own Aygo started to rust and I thought it wasn't worth doing a spot repair, I'd simply chop out the affected part, weld in a plate and make good. 

There are rubber grommets covering the door sill which is rusted. The grommets should have been removed and anti rust solution sprayed liberally inside the  sill and the grommets reapplied. That would have stopped rust formation in the first place. Besides you are supposed to re treat every few years. It can still be done but the damage is unfortunately done.

• 2 weeks later...

I know why the corrosion occurs on the sills. See this:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links