Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Yaris 1.33 VVT-I Icon opinions?

PinkyFloyd

Totally new to Toyota.  Thinking of trading in my 2007 Qashqai.  Took the Yaris for a test drive last night and was pleasantly surprised.

I know nothing about them though!  Had been looking at the ecoboost focus until I read horror stories about the engine.

Would you folks mind helping?

Do you like your Yaris?

Is the car regarded as reliable, especially the 1.33 engine?

Do you find the 6th gear useful on the motorway?

Any other helpful info or hints or things to look out for?

Model I am looking at is white with rear blacked out windows, 20k on the clock.  Its nice but just want to be a wee bit more informed.  Thanks!

20180814_195706.jpg

• Like 1

I've a pre-facelift '14 reg and am very happy with it. Surprising amount of rear legroom at the expense of boot space, but hasn't been a problem. Engine can be lively above 3K RPM and doesn't hit the rev limiter until 80MPH in third - useful for overtaking. Doesn't handle as well as some cars, but I presume that's down to the narrow tyres, but then it wouldn't be so economical on larger rubber. Mine averages around 50MPG. It'll happily roll along in sixth at anything above 40MPH. The gear change 'nag' lights have finally managed to make the wife use the right gear for situations. She no longer cruises around town at 30MPH in second, or judders round corners at 20MPH in fifth!

All I can add, Mark, is that my pre "facelift" (don't like the later front end, but that's subjective!), although not a manual transmission, has been totally reliable in the four and a half years I've owned it from new. has the 1.33l vvti, bullet proof and proven reliability. Oil and filter change when due should be all that's required.  No warranty issues at all with my car.

There will be some of the 5 years warranty remaining too, as long as it's been serviced correctly. Looks like it's a Toyota dealer going by the top centre of the picture. Unless it's the Vx dealer on the right?😄

Nice looking car.👍

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

I've a pre-facelift '14 reg and am very happy with it. Surprising amount of rear legroom at the expense of boot space, but hasn't been a problem. Engine can be lively above 3K RPM and doesn't hit the rev limiter until 80MPH in third - useful for overtaking. Doesn't handle as well as some cars, but I presume that's down to the narrow tyres, but then it wouldn't be so economical on larger rubber. Mine averages around 50MPG. It'll happily roll along in sixth at anything above 40MPH. The gear change 'nag' lights have finally managed to make the wife use the right gear for situations. She no longer cruises around town at 30MPH in second, or judders round corners at 20MPH in fifth!

Don't you get the nag light flashing at you if you are at 40mph in 6th gear? 🙂

Am going for another test drive later, I shall push the revs on the car a little more and push it on a little.....

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, mrpj said:

All I can add, Mark, is that my pre "facelift" (don't like the later front end, but that's subjective!), although not a manual transmission, has been totally reliable in the four and a half years I've owned it from new. has the 1.33l vvti, bullet proof and proven reliability. Oil and filter change when due should be all that's required.  No warranty issues at all with my car.

There will be some of the 5 years warranty remaining too, as long as it's been serviced correctly. Looks like it's a Toyota dealer going by the top centre of the picture. Unless it's the Vx dealer on the right?😄

Nice looking car.👍

I love the phrase "bullet proof", it inspires confidence!

Yes it's a Toyota Dealer, with a VX dealer right next door lol

It was serviced about 200 miles ago, and I'll get 2 free services thrown in.

Mark,

I came from a Nissan Note to my Yaris, its a hybrid but I love the solid build and relability of Toyota, being as they are throwing in 2 free services that 20,000 or two yrs whichever come first thats a saving,  plus there is 5yrs warranty.

The other day I took 5 larger adults in the car usually its only my wife and I and was suprised how well it preformed.

4 minutes ago, davekench said:

Mark,

I came from a Nissan Note to my Yaris, its a hybrid but I love the solid build and relability of Toyota, being as they are throwing in 2 free services that 20,000 or two yrs whichever come first thats a saving,  plus there is 5yrs warranty.

The other day I took 5 larger adults in the car usually its only my wife and I and was suprised how well it preformed.

Funnily enough, the Note was another car I had been considering, how would you compare the two?

I think there is a year and a half left of the warranty which is still great!

6 hours ago, PinkyFloyd said:

Don't you get the nag light flashing at you if you are at 40mph in 6th gear? 🙂

I said it'll roll along at 40MPH in sixth, not that it would accelerate, I'll drop to second or third for that!

4 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I said it'll roll along at 40MPH in sixth, not that it would accelerate, I'll drop to second or third for that!

Ha!

Am going to see the car again this evening and take it for another drive. 

So took the yaris out for a much longer test drive tonight.  A few miles round a twisty road I know well and the car handled admirably.

Let it stretch its legs up over the steep motorway hill of the A8M.  Pushed the revs very high and hard before my gear changes.  All smooth and good and feisty too though I thought I got a slight smell of burning oil, cant be sure, my nose doesnt half work.

Mentioned this to the sales guy beside me and he couldnt sense anything.  He reckons the old couple who put the 20k on the car never once accelerated it like I did, so maybe I blew a few cobwebs out of it 🙂

Regardless, I was impressed enough to put down a deposit pending completion of my loan.

The dealer put 20 quid of petrol in the car and half filled the tank, it must br a small tank as it was empty beforehand?!?

15 minutes ago, PinkyFloyd said:

🙂

The dealer put 20 quid of petrol in the car and half filled the tank, it must br a small tank as it was empty beforehand?!?

It's supposed to be a 40L tank. I once carried 5L in the boot and ran it for around 30 miles on empty. Chickened out when it got dark as I didn't fancy standing by the side of a main road putting petrol in. Still only managed to get 36L in it. I think the fuel gauge and 'miles remaining' are extremely pessimistic. I usually manage to get 32L in when the light's on and the 'miles remaining' shows zero.

I was planning to go for ecoboost, but now people in them cars are getting very early engine changes and trying to sell the cars as quick as possible. Some people are noting that after an engine change the name of the car changes from ecoboost to ecocentric or something.

Though not sure if it has sound dampening as my Avensis has?

But it is a nice looking car.

Hope all goes well and you complete the deal ok.

Personally, I doubt you can get a better car of its type.

My wife is on her 3rd consecutive Yaris now (a 1.33) and loves them...they have all been utterly reliable.

Just now, RUToyota said:

Hope all goes well and you complete the deal ok.

Personally, I doubt you can get a better car of its type.

My wife is on her 3rd consecutive Yaris now (a 1.33) and loves them...they have all been utterly reliable.

Thanks.  Loan has been approved but its postal so may have a bit of a turnaround.  Just have to be patient 🙂

Bit late to this post.  I had a qashqai before mine, although had a 64 plate qashqai as well.  Great car.  Mine is a design but same equipment.  Albeit a newer 1.5.  Also being given 2 free services, that means you won't have to pay for a service until 3 years ish away.  I Han a focus zetec s with the 1.0 eco boost found that engine underpowered for a focus and thirsty.  That 1.33 engine is solid.  Had a 03 Yaris T3 with it.  Happy motoring.

4 minutes ago, catnash said:

Bit late to this post.  I had a qashqai before mine, although had a 64 plate qashqai as well.  Great car.  Mine is a design but same equipment.  Albeit a newer 1.5.  Also being given 2 free services, that means you won't have to pay for a service until 3 years ish away.  I Han a focus zetec s with the 1.0 eco boost found that engine underpowered for a focus and thirsty.  That 1.33 engine is solid.  Had a 03 Yaris T3 with it.  Happy motoring.

Not late at all.  Still happy to get opinions on the car, both good and bad.  I agree with you that the Qashqai is a great car!

We are on our 4th Toyota if include my mum 2004 1.33 yaris which  has been  totally reliable . Its a auto but even though 14 year old is still nice and smooth with no load bumps and crashes over our poor roads .

4 minutes ago, stevecrvn said:

.... my mum 2004 1.33 yaris which  has been  totally reliable.

1 hour ago, catnash said:

That 1.33 engine is solid.  Had a 03 Yaris T3 with it.  Happy motoring.

Just to point out the new 1.33 engine was introduced in February 2009 in the Yaris - the 1.3 used prior to this was a different engine.

The 1.5 introduced in 2017 is a re-worked 1.33.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

My tesco loan is fully approved and documents are in the post to me (no supporting documentation required, just a straight up accept, which is nice).  The only thing I am kinda regretting is I took the 8k loan out over 4 years when I probably should have taken 3 so I could pay it off faster (3% apr so a nice low rate). 

As the above has already been approved, I fired in a quick application to my bank (Santander) for the same loan, same APR but over 3 years instead of 4.  If that gets approved I'll go with that instead of 4 years, but if not the 4 years should be fine, just not ideal.  The car should give me reasonably trouble free motoring for 4 years, or at least I hope so 🙂

47 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Just to point out the new 1.33 i was introduced in February 2009 in the Yaris - the 1.3 used prior to this was a different engine.

The 1.5 introduced in 2017 is a re-worked 1.33.

OK different engine, same company, will be reliable.  Most of us where I work have Toyota's,. None have had any problems. A range of 1.0's-1.33. 

Enjoy the car Mark.👍

On a couple of occasions, with mine, if I push the speed a bit (don't tell anyone) when circumstances permit, I have detected a slight smell of burning oil. Probably, as you say, burning off some accumulated crud.

My engine has not used any dipstick detectable amount of oil between changes either.

3 minutes ago, mrpj said:

Enjoy the car Mark.👍

On a couple of occasions, with mine, if I push the speed a bit (don't tell anyone) when circumstances permit, I have detected a slight smell of burning oil. Probably, as you say, burning off some accumulated crud.

My engine has not used any dipstick detectable amount of oil between changes either.

Peter, my 1.7 Puma also did the slight burn smell when I really pushed her.  She didn't drink oil and never missed a beat though.  In fact, I think all 3 of the puma's I owned did the same thing!  Those were yamaha engines and were just delicious above 4k rpm.  Such a shame Ford stopped making that car.  Idiots.

My loan came through today and the Yaris will be ready for pick up on Wed evening 🙂

Well I have my car (the one in the pic up top!).  I do love it.  I get the reviews that say it's not as fun as blah blah blah but I've had fun, you can't have more fun than in a 1.7 Ford Puma and I've had 3 of those!

Anyway, I'm having fun in the Yaris :)

It looks quite sporty too I think.

The idiots in the garage painted the tyrewalls and it was still wet when I drove off so the 2 sides of the car were splattered in the black stuff.  Had to wipe it all off.

Apart from that, it's all good so far!

Incidentally, is there any reason to turn off traction control apart from wanting to die?

Yes turn off traction control when you get stuck in snow etc or want a bit of fun.