Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.33 - which oil?

QuantumFireball

Not my car, but I'm looking at changing the oil in an '09 Auris 1.33. I know the recommended is 0W20, but since it's done over 100k miles would it be wise to use a thicker oil, like 5W30?

The service history is a bit of an unknown - I know the oil was changed last year, but no idea what was used. My concern would be putting in 0W20 now, only to see significant oil consumption.

I'm driving on  5W30 in my 1.6 Auris which just turned 100k,  oil is  Champion New Energy. Any oil that falls within the standard from the owner manual is good, but i agree with you on using 5W30. You can check similar topics for recommended oils that other people used, if you are looking for any special brand recommendation.

In my case, the oil consumption was 1L per 10k KM, which i consider pretty normal, with 50% of that being on highway speeds.

• Like 1

I drive the Auris 1.33 as well and the dealership has been using Shell 15W40 spec oil since new and the motor does not use any drop of oil between services.
Our temperatures are much warmer this side in South Africa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motheo said:

I drive the Auris 1.33 as well and the dealership has been using Shell 15W40 spec oil since new and the motor does not use any drop of oil between services.
Our temperatures are much warmer this side in South Africa.

Thats probably due the higher average temperatures.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1. 33 09 petrol. I used to have to 0w20 in warmer weather where engine oil becomes very viscous, when starting my car it used to rattle after its been parked for a long while like couple of hours. Now i have 5w30 so in warm weather engine doesn't rattle as much as it used to. Wrt performance 5w30 is ok. Btw im on 70000

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, driver10 said:

I used to have to 0w20 in warmer weather where engine oil becomes very viscous,

That doesn't make sense. How does the oil become "thicker" when it is warmer weather? A 5W30 is more viscous so that should make things worse.

Extracted from a Mobil website:

What is oil viscosity and what impact does this have?

Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid’s flow. The thicker (high viscosity) of an oil, the slower it will flow.

Most oils on the shelves today are "Multigrades", which simply means that the oil falls into two viscosity grades (i.e. 10W-40 etc). In a 10W-40 for example the 10W bit (W = winter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity or flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature performance.

The 40 in a 10W-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number, the thinner the oil: for example, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100°C.

So using 5W-30 instead of 0W-20, you're using an oil which is thicker in both winter and summer. so in winter the car may be harder to start.

Apologies i meant in hot weather the 0w20 is more fluid so it drains to the bottom quicker because its very thin. So when i start engine it rattles. Less so with 5w30.

This is my theory i have been advised that before.

I think as the car gets older we can use thicker oil. Please do correct me if im wrong. 0w20 is the preferred anyways. I am yet to see how my 5w30 will cope with starts in the winter.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk