Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Protection Pack for Gen 4

Ten Ninety

Bit of a strange question, perhaps, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

Is it possible to remove the Protection Pack mudflaps and rear boot protector once they've been fitted, without leaving holes or damage? Or are they bolted/glued on permanently?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may be able to offer!

Thank you! That's an excellent resource. Looks like there will definitely be visible holes from the rear flaps, and possibly paint damage from the tape used for the rear protector.

Can I ask why you want them off, after all they are protecting the vehicle.

I have a vague concern that they may interfere with the aerodynamics and thus generate more wind noise and lower economy. Given the many hours of testing that the body shape will have gone through to achieve a low drag coefficient, I'm not a fan of bolting on chunks of plastic and rubber that may interfere with that. 

It's also possible that I'll end up with a white car and I think the mudflaps and boot protector look pretty nasty on the white body. They're inoffensive on red and invisible on grey, but I really don't like them on white. Quite a lot of the plug-ins currently for sale seem to have the Protection pack fitted, so I wanted to know if I bought one whether I could get them removed easily. It now appears not, which will help in my search for the right car.

I think that you will find that they (at least oem parts) will have a minimal effect on aero.

The bumper protector you probably can remove (with the aid of a heat gun or similar to soften the adhesive) without trace but I would imagine that it's effect on aero is probably almost immeasurable & if you load stuff into the boot it is quite useful.

15 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

...It's also possible that I'll end up with a white car and I think the mudflaps and boot protector look pretty nasty on the white body. They're inoffensive on red and invisible on grey, but I really don't like them on white. Quite a lot of the plug-ins currently for sale seem to have the Protection pack fitted, so I wanted to know if I bought one whether I could get them removed easily. It now appears not, which will help in my search for the right car.

I am the opposite, I think they look great on white as you have the black/white contrast which matches with the black/white of the two tone rear bumper and rear three quarter panel.  With the fuel figures I am getting with my car on 17s I really don't think you need to worry about fuel efficiency 👍.  They also really help with the spray and keeping the side of the car clean.

I also chose the chrome back which I initially wasn't so keen on but now I really love it and I am amazed at how many admiring glances I get and that ties in well with the bumper protector.

IMG_2740.jpg

1_Flap.jpg

• Like 1

What you see as adding to the contrast, I see as disrupting the neat lines of the original arches! Nothing wrong with either view, just personal preference. I do think these cars look striking in white and I also think they look much better resolved on 17s than on the smaller wheels. Although the latest 15" trim design with its extended black stripes does alleviate the shopping-trolley effect a little, as does the Plug-In wheel design, at least to my eyes.

The aero thing probably isn't a big deal, but I remember reading something about the 15" plastic trims having a significant impact on reducing drag, so little things can make a difference. Fundamentally, however, I would just prefer not to have them. The boot will never be used and my paintwork will be protected by a nice layer of grime, so they have no practical value to me!

I used to put mudflaps on all my cars until I got my first (2010) Prius. I personally don't think they're needed, due to the flat, slab sided bodywork just behind the wheels, less stuff splashes up there from the wheels. You still get the fine spray, but you get that with or without mudflaps. (and it's not because I'm a tight Yorkshire man that I don't fit them :whistling:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links