Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED Lighting

Chris Bryant

Apologies if this has been asked before.

But I have added LED lights to my Hilux (2011, no canbus) and of course the LED flash rate goes bonkers.  I had fitted dummy loads, but I am guessing they're not man enough.  They work under 'normal' conditions.  But once the brakes are on, or side lights etc, they go rapid.

My question is, what is the actual spec of the dummy loads required.?  I have seen 50w 6 ohm, and 50w 3 ohm being discussed online.

In an ideal world, I want to fit just the one dummy load per side (at the rear).

The side repeaters, wondered how these come off.?  Is it a wheel arch lining job.?

Hi Chris, welcome to TOC. 🙂

You should be aware that in the UK if you are using on-road pretty much all LED bulbs are currently illegal for use in external lamps unless the car was originally type-approved/manufactured with LED lighting. In theory at least the new MOT should see vehicles so fitted fail with "light source and lamp not compatible".

If you are using an LED light bar off-road this doesn't apply (but then you probably wouldn't be having a problem with flashing).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi Chris, welcome to TOC. 🙂

You should be aware that in the UK if you are using on-road pretty much all LED bulbs are currently illegal for use in external lamps unless the car was originally type-approved/manufactured with LED lighting. In theory at least the new MOT should see vehicles so fitted fail with "light source and lamp not compatible".

If you are using an LED light bar off-road this doesn't apply (but then you probably wouldn't be having a problem with flashing).

Hiya,

Cheers for the reply.  If we were to say that I just use them 'off-road', but I still love to use my indicators...........!!  What then would be the fix for the quick flashing.??

On an MOT, how would they know that the side lights (for example) are LED - or that they are LED and should be filament lamps.?  Do they measure the lumens of lights now on the new style MOT.??

2 minutes ago, Chris Bryant said:

On an MOT, how would they know that the side lights (for example) are LED

Would have thought they could tell by the brightness or colour.

Brightness I guess so.  Colour wise, being coloured lenses, they are fairly similar.

My reverse lights are LED, but are kinda needed really, as the stock ones are so poor.

As LED bulbs usually produce a whiter or blue white light than standard bulbs, the colour could be affected.

21 hours ago, Chris Bryant said:

On an MOT, how would they know that the side lights (for example) are LED - or that they are LED and should be filament lamps.?  Do they measure the lumens of lights now on the new style MOT.??

the light units are meant to have a marking on them that says that they are suitable for HID/LED/ etc.