Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service plan

kevin h

Hi,

I haggled a service plan into my purchase with a not so local dealer, and specifically asked that it be usable at any dealership

Now I find that the plan is specific to that dealer and I can't use the one just around the corner from work.

Spoke to EMAC to administer Service plans, who sat its a Toyota issue, yet Toyota say talk to EMAC.

Anybody else had similar problems, or could provide advice.

Service plans are normally dealer options so the only way you can use them at another location to where you bought the car is if that same dealer has another branch nearer to your location. 

Your contract of sale is with the dealer - not EMAC and not Toyota.

The same principle as your contract of sale for the car - again your contract is with the dealer.

If the service plan doesn't cater for your needs, you need to go back to the dealer you bought it from.

Cheers all.

Effectively they lied to me.

That will teach me for trying to hard to get a good deal.

Next time, I should stick to the local dealer, but be more willing to pull the plug.

Is it allowed to share the dealer's name on here? Not sure if it's within forum rules, but it would be interesting to know which dealership mis-sold you the plan, especially as I'm shopping round for cars right now. 

When I bought my Lexus the dealer started to talk about the service plan, then remembered I lived 200 miles away and was honest enough to say it would be of little use for me.

25 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

Is it allowed to share the dealer's name on here?

Nothing to prevent the dealership's name and location being shared, as long as there are no derogatory comments which may or may not be accurate..

In my experience, however, service plans are usually handled by the service department, and sometimes sales are not properly au fait as regards coverage, etc.

I bought my Prius over 200 miles away from where I live and when I asked about service plans they were very upfront with me and said they did them, but did I really want to do a 400 mile round trip to get my car serviced? 😀.

Very pleased that they didn't try to mis-sell me!

Could get a service plan at a local dealer.

Each time I bought a car the salesman, already upset I'd paid cash instead of having their loan, tried hard to sell me a service plan (not to mention a package that would stop the paint falling off if I didn't get it!).

Every time, when I've added the actual cost of the services, it would have been more expensive than the combined cost of the first three services (2 of which are minor, of course).  (Had the service plan been 'free' as part of the deal, that would've been different!).

In one case, my ex bought a 2008 Aygo from a dealer near St Albans (we lived in Luton at the time) but we got the services done at my preferred dealer in Norwich (when we visited my Mum in Norfolk).  The price they quoted for a 3-year service plan was almost double what we actually paid in Norwich! (but less than double what the selling dealer's service department told me they would charge for the three services, although still much more than the service plan).

With my last three Toyotas, the service plans were based on Toyota's fixed price service costs - so no more than I would be paying if I'd not had the service plan - and this is how it should be. Plans aren't set in stone and costs can be negotiated. One difference was I negotiated the plans with service rather than sales.

As well as fixing the cost for the period of the plan, the plans gave me 10% off any parts, accessories and labour (for work done outside the plan). 

As service costs haven't increased since April 2016, I suspect there may be an increase in the near future.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In my experience, however, service plans are usually handled by the service department, and sometimes sales are not properly au fait as regards coverage, etc.

That's a fair point. I've yet to encounter a sales person who hasn't got a tragic deficit of knowledge about the car they're selling. I should have remembered never to assume malicious intent when incompetence is a more likely answer!

On a slightly related note, I paid up for membership of the Lexus Owner's Club and got 10% off servicing as well as the Halfords card. Ive had a look and I can't see anything similar for paid membership on here - I presume the club management have explored this but it's not feasible?

Premium membership currently provides dealer discounts with approx 13 individual dealerships.

However, the servicing poll currently on the forum is seeking to determine whether there is a sufficient level of interest amongst the membership in offering a wider choice of discounts, but so far only 32 members have responded:

I have added my vote to that poll. Could you link to a list of those dealerships who do offer discounts? It doesn't seem to be immediately apparent from the sign up pages, but I've quite possibly missed it.

Currently: Inchcape Basingstoke & Nottingham; H W Moon; John Roe Hull; Lindop; Listers Grantham; Motorline Cardiff & Ashford; SDM Falkirk & Lowestoft; Snows Honiton, Hedge End & Southampton; Steven Eagell Romford; Struans; Western.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Every time, when I've added the actual cost of the services, it would have been more expensive than the combined cost of the first three services (2 of which are minor, of course).  (Had the service plan been 'free' as part of the deal, that would've been different!).

In one case, my ex bought a 2008 Aygo from a dealer near St Albans (we lived in Luton at the time) but we got the services done at my preferred dealer in Norwich (when we visited my Mum in Norfolk).  The price they quoted for a 3-year service plan was almost double what we actually paid in Norwich! (but less than double what the selling dealer's service department told me they would charge for the three services, although still much more than the service plan).

The basic cost of a service doesn't include extras like a brake fluid change etc. some service plans do. The main advantage I can see of a service plan is it covers any service price increases.

I paid for my first service then bought a plan at my second service to cover 4 services (including the second), 2 major and 2 minor, together with one free MOT for £1016, that'll take me to the end of the warranty. At £350 for a major and £150 for a minor, I'm basically getting a MOT for £16, but these services include everything like brake fluid change on the majors etc. No doubt there will be price rises in the next three years, so I will save a little there.

28 minutes ago, kithmo said:

The basic cost of a service doesn't include extras like a brake fluid change etc. some service plans do. 

Before Toyota revised their service schedules in April 2016, items such as brake fluid changes, etc were maintenance options which were optional extras one could have in addition to the service, and this was despite Toyota recommending that brake fluid changes occur every two years.

When the service schedules were revised, some of the previous maintenance options were included in the service schedules and this was one reason for the service costs increasing. For example, a brake fluid change is now included in the Full service, a coolant change, when due, is included in the Full+ service, etc.

Aside from the above one can negotiate additional work be included in a service plan - for example, some owners include the cost of MOT's in their service plan.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links