Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Convince me to get a Rav4...

Gweeds

My company car renewal is due early next year, so am looking at replacements for my BMW... needs to be a hybrid, don't mind if plug in or not and needs to be economical to run.

I can select any model from Toyota, Lexus, Skoda, BMW, Mercedes or Mini. Company rules state it can't be a 2 seater and has to be available in 2 wheel drive (even if you select the 4wd option) and it can't be a 'performance' model (M sport or AMG line is ok, but can't get M3 or AMG C63 for example)

I don't mind trading up or down a bit, so options are open.

I have narrowed it down to Toyota Rav4 excel with all the extras; Lexus is300h advance or Merc C350e estate executive...

Anyone able to provide any insight on any of these and tell me which I should get and why?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nope...just try them all and choose the one you like best..after all, you ain't payin'.:biggrin:

I'm biased...I've been a Toyota fan for some years as I value reliability.

Power train wise afaik the current RAV (at least in 2wd form) & the Lexus will be largely the same - the body, trim, dealer & servicing will be different.

It is hard to say anything about the new 2019 RAV4 because it is a genuinely new platform rather than an update on the old & it isn't available in Europe yet so nobody (certainly here) has driven it in finalised European spec. yet.

Whether you want an SUV, saloon or estate is up to you & your needs.

Presumably there is a dealer handy for you for each brand so each is equally convenient for servicing?

Power train wise afaik the current RAV (at least in 2wd form) & the Lexus will be largely the same - the body, trim, dealer & servicing will be different.
It is hard to say anything about the new 2019 RAV4 because it is a genuinely new platform rather than an update on the old & it isn't available in Europe yet so nobody (certainly here) has driven it in finalised European spec. yet.
Whether you want an SUV, saloon or estate is up to you & your needs.
Presumably there is a dealer handy for you for each brand so each is equally convenient for servicing?
That's good to know - I wasn't aware there was a brand new rav4 in 2019...

I believe the power plants for the rav4 and is300h is near on identical, with the Lexus being slightly quicker and more economical due to being lighter.

The Merc is an unknown for me - 122mpg combined is claimed... but the elec only range is 19 miles. A colleague has a 3 series iperformance - plug in hybrid. It claims 150 odd mpg, but in reality returns about 55mpg.

Hmmmm... New rav4 is very tempting, depending on how it looks. I assume the petrol and elec motors will be the same units as currently used?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Gweeds said:

Hmmmm... New rav4 is very tempting, depending on how it looks. I assume the petrol and elec motors will be the same units as currently used?

This is the N. American market https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/RAV4/ This should give you an overall idea but expect that there will be differences for the European market e.g. probably different infotainment systems.

I believe that the 2.5l ICE used in  the hybrid is expected to be improved over the old version. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-new-york-motor-show/2019-toyota-rav4-be-more-proper-suv-predecessor

• Like 1

I've just traded in a 3 year old Lexus IS300h for a 2018 model Rav4 Design AWD.  I've yet to fully get to grips with the Rav4, however some comments about the Lexus - I got the Lexus 2 years ago after having had 2 previous Prius (which I loved).  The Prius  were company cars... I decided to leave the company scheme & was looking for a  comparable car to buy.  2 years ago the new Prius was out of the running thanks to the "armitage shanks" cupholders and centre console.  A  year-old Lexus seemed a good alternative - trading up to "a Prius on steroids" with similar running gear but the 2.5 litre engine.   Overall the Lexus was comfy and nice to drive. Not as economical as the Prius (not surprising).  There were  2 big down-sides to the Lexus: 1) poor luggage space - but then I've had estates and hatchbacks for years - this was the first saloon for a long time.  Heading for the airport we couldn't fit 2 big suitcases in the boot.  Other odd shaped loads were also problematic.  More importantly, 2) the Lexus had absolutely no grip on a slippery surface.  I got stuck at least twice on muddy fields & ended up carrying a tow rope at all times "just in case".  Whereas the Prius was fun in snow, the Lexus just got stuck!  Hopefully with AWD in the Rav4 I shouldn't have this problem again.

Driving the Rav4 seems to be OK (only done about 80 miles so far!) though indications are that fuel consumption will be down on the Lexus.

A trivial niggle with the Rav4 is the poor location of some of the switch-gear - its a bit of a stretch to get to the EV/Eco/Sport buttons. Also the USB and power sockets are in full view in the centre console - they'd be far better located inside the centre armrest storage box, keeping phones and iPods out of sight.

• Like 1

Moved to the Rav4 club.