Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diagnostic Scanner/Tool

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys

Can anyone kindly suggest a diagnostic scanner that i may invest in please, something reliable, a reputable brand, that can read fault codes, and reset engine lights, being able to re-generate would be a bonus, and free lifetime updates a must, and finally, but most important Simple To Use.

Your input guys would be utmost appreciated.

Sammy

p.s Its an obd2 version i believe that i’ll need for my 08 Aygo & my other halfs 2010 T27 Avensis. Cheers

Hi Sam. I use the Launch Creader VIII (CR129), bought from Diagnostic World nearly 3 years ago:- http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/Launch_Creader_CR129_PRO_ABS_Engine_Airbag_Transmission_Oil_Reset_Professional_Code_Scanner__189010-z=605301&p=80204.cfm

It can see most faults and reset the EPB, but I have not used it for that. It has gone up in price since I bought it, but it works on other makes of cars. The only thing that has beaten it, is my brothers Nissan Micra power steering fault. But I tried a laptop base software Delphi and that found the Nissan EPS fault but could not reset it. It did report that there was a power issue. Back to the Launch I own, it gets the free updates and you can back up fault codes. I update it once a year and it is free. 

Here are links to others to look at. I link to Diagnostic World because they are UK based and seem reliable. I could go cheaper elsewhere, but you may end up with a non-genuine product that is not supported and cannot be updated!

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/Toyota_Lexus_Isuzu_iCarsoft_i905_Multi_System_Diagnostic_Tool_SRS_ABS_Engine_etc__189010-z=605301&p=71203.cfm

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/Toyota_Lexus_Multi_System_Diagnostic_Kit_Foxwell_NT510_Engine_ABS_Airbags_Oil_Service_etc__189125-z=563729&p=122846.cfm

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/iCarsoft_TYT_II_Toyota_Lexus_Oil_Service_Reset_Multi_System_Diagnostic_Tool_189125-z=563729&p=111376.cfm

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/toyota_code_readers_189125.cfm

Still look elsewhere, but make sure the product is genuine like I mentioned earlier.

Konrad :thumbsup:

Simple it isn't, but if you go with a J2534 interface, you can use the canbus programmer from Toyota to reprogram all the gadgets. An  interface is dirt cheap, about £10 ! The software is free(ish). 

With J2534 you can do all the normal OBD stuff, plus loads of Toyota stuff that cannot be done with OBD, plus as stated, you can program all the gizmos... Wan't the windows to all close when you lock the door?... Want the interior light to stay on for longer?... The headlights to come on when you unlock, or the parking lights to flash, the seat belt alarm to shut up..... All done through the canbus. 

There are hundreds of settings you can access and customise .

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:16 AM, Gabaunion said:

Simple it isn't, but if you go with a J2534 interface, you can use the canbus programmer from Toyota to reprogram all the gadgets. An  interface is dirt cheap, about £10 ! The software is free(ish). 

With J2534 you can do all the normal OBD stuff, plus loads of Toyota stuff that cannot be done with OBD, plus as stated, you can program all the gizmos... Wan't the windows to all close when you lock the door?... Want the interior light to stay on for longer?... The headlights to come on when you unlock, or the parking lights to flash, the seat belt alarm to shut up..... All done through the canbus. 

I have a Yaris hybrid and want the door to auto lock when driven away and also the window to close when locking the doors using the remote central locking fob. Can this be done? Also where to get the Toyota software please. 

On 8/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, Gabaunion said:

can you post a valid link (reliable), please?

I have one, it came out very cheap, but it doesn´t allow me to program nothing. Y have the 2013 restyle 2.0 D4D avensis.

Kind regards

Im still on the hunt for one, nearly decided on an Autel MAXI CHECK PRO scanner, 175.00 but genuine. Does dpf regens and epb resets too. Lifetime updates. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Im still on the hunt for one, nearly decided on an Autel MAXI CHECK PRO scanner, 175.00 but genuine. Does dpf regens and epb resets too. Lifetime updates. 

Good find Sam. I did a search on your choice and found these :-

http://www.autelstore.co.uk/wholesale/autel-maxicheck-pro.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5ZPcBRBkEiwA-avvkxes4BJnUouo_239Qad-GbmGUvQnAx1rtbwQvUshJXx8VzTl5qv0WBoCsEcQAvD_BwE 

http://www.autelsale.co.uk/wholesale/autel-maxicheck-pro.html

I wonder if they are coming from the same source? 

Hi,

What OBD tool, gives us the posibility to program  variant options? Like automatic window and mirror close.

Colud be the J2534  diag tool?

The only diagnostic software I know of is Toyota TIS. I used it once on my Avensis and it alter the auto lights sensitivity, but I left alone since it works fine for me.

There are unofficial versions or the online pay as you go version.

As far as I know, Toyota never had auto window close when locking the car. I had a Vauxhall Cavalier '93 , that had the function (most GM cars have this function). I have a '09 T27 Avensis and this does not support auto window shut. I think I have seen auto mirror fold on an Auris Touring Sport Hybrid '15 Excel. On '13 Avensis, I checked the manual online, and there is no mention of the mirrors being able to be folded when locking the car. You will have to press the button! 

This is where i went to view the manual -  https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

there are different gadgets, but you need to install them. Link bellow. I understand that the j2534, gives you some programing variant, like the Opel Op-Com.  I really want to know haw much can you program. Has anyone used it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Toyota-car-side-mirror-folding-kit-Avensis-Prado-automatic-close-open-/122140424695

13 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Cheers matey

Not bad at 155.00 delivered, i might just bite the bullet and order one tomorrow, from your 2nd link lol, they accept paypal and appear more reliable.

Considering all that it does, it seems a bargain.

No?

Hi, the advert mentions this is shipping from China via DHL. Any idea what the import duty would be on that? 

12 hours ago, c0stel said:

there are different gadgets, but you need to install them. Link bellow. I understand that the j2534, gives you some programing variant, like the Opel Op-Com.  I really want to know haw much can you program. Has anyone used it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Toyota-car-side-mirror-folding-kit-Avensis-Prado-automatic-close-open-/122140424695

or you could import it direct from China e.g. 

www.aliexpress.com/item/Intelligent-car-side-mirror-folding-module-for-TOYOTA-Avensis-T27-09-14-Prado-2010-2015-auto/32812023907.html

www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-Side-Rear-View-Mirror-Folder-Folding-Spread-Kit-For-Toyota-Prado-2010-2015-Avensis-T27/32811193770.html

Mod edit: offensive language removed... it`s more than double...  but im still not interested. 

With obd tool might be able to  activate more screens in the dash.. but not really sure of that. Has anyone try it?

Get a old laptop running Windows xp and get the Toyota techstream interface very cheap on the likes of eBay can do almost anything the dealership can do. Most of what the other poster said regarding setting door locks and other things will only work if your car is equipped for the option of these. 

• Like 2

Im still unsure what to go for...not in a hurty...still saving up lol.

I want something thats reliable and dead simple to understand for a novice...not sure if the Autel maxi check pro is easy to navigate actually, the ad states for professionals in workshops...hmmm....it looks straight forward though

On 8/28/2018 at 8:44 AM, Konrad C said:

Interesting, the contact country code +86 is Japan and shipment from China.

2 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Im still unsure what to go for...not in a hurty...still saving up lol.

I want something thats reliable and dead simple to understand for a novice...not sure if the Autel maxi check pro is easy to navigate actually, the ad states for professionals in workshops...hmmm....it looks straight forward though

Remember, Autel UK won't provide support if the product becomes faulty because it's not UK distribution product.  Official Autel website https://www.autel.uk/

• 4 months later...

Good find Sam. I did a search on your choice and found these

https://obd2scannerguide.com/

If you are looking for something that's reliable and dead simple to understand they have a great list a few are Amazon top sellers with hundreds of toyota users reviews. Feel free to check them out. 

I personally use the FIXD OBD2 its cost efficient and I hand zero problems so far with my Tundra. 

Here is a lesson I learnt the hard way. Make sure you don't use the wrong function on certain jobs with any diagnostic device!

I did this myself on Saturday trying to calibrated/reset the EPB after changing the rear pads. I was involved in a post where a member had done the same, and I forgot to heed that warning. I used Launch CReader VIII which had EPB in the service section. All it did was remove/undone the zero point settings for the clutch and G sensor, plus throw up the warning and caution indicators, plus 'Check Parking Brake' message on the dash!  

The silly thing is, I have Delphi on an old netbook that has the proper EPB calibration function, but the laptop needed charging. I got the netbook charged and tried using Delphi to erase the DTC codes - C1346 and C1336, but it could not. The Launch could not even find the faults! 

I tried the known 'paperclip' trick linking terminals 4 - 12, then pushing EPB button 3 times, then pulling 3 times within 8 seconds but no luck.
Then I downloaded an old version of Techstream and loaded that on to the netbook and tried that. It took a while to learn and understand the functions, but eventually I found a function within the EPB section to simply turn off the dashboard alerts. That fixed the problem. Frankie406 is spot on. I can add that Techstream also has brake calibration, and even reset for EPB if it has been changed. 
So I would say that for general use most diagnostics will do, but the more systems that can be accessed the better, but with caution!
For me, Techstream is always the best for Toyota. If you can, get a secondhand professional diagnostics to cover most makes of car. If really in trouble My Toyota is a good place too.     

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/22/2018 at 9:16 AM, Gabaunion said:

Hey thanks for the great advice.  

Do you know if it will work with the Avensis, I looked up:

http://blog.obdii365.com/2018/10/09/toyota-techstream-13-20-018-download-free-released-notes/

and it doesn't mention Avensis in the list of compatible cars, seems to be aimed at the US market (I live in the UK) where I don't think they sell the Avensis.

I assume you've got it yourself 'Gabaunion' and it works, I know they sell the leads and CD's on eBay but wondered if there is a more reliable source?  Where did you get yours from?

My car seems a little flat under acceleration and I suspect a clogged Catalytic Converter, but would like to check for error codes first.  Failing the Techstream, can anyone recommend a scan tool that should tell me about my Cat?

Thanks in Advance,  Andy :-)

Toyota Avensis T25 T3x 2007 D-4D Tourer.

Techstream should work on any Toyota from the 90's to the most recent models. That means every variant of the Avensis should be covered. When you connect to the car and run the programme, Techstream will confirm the engine fitted. If I remember, you cannot choose from the list of cars. Then you choose the model year - 0811/1114/1115-on. I chose 0811 as my car is '09. Then the menu will confirm all the modules it has found. You can go into the modules and check for faults, delete any codes, change parameters, and I think program keys.

I last used Techstream to delete warnings and cautions to get my EPB working properly again.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Techstream should work on any Toyota from the 90's to the most recent models. That means every variant of the Avensis should be covered. When you connect to the car and run the programme, Techstream will confirm the engine fitted. If I remember, you cannot choose from the list of cars. Then you choose the model year - 0811/1114/1115-on. I chose 0811 as my car is '09. Then the menu will confirm all the modules it has found. You can go into the modules and check for faults, delete any codes, change parameters, and I think program keys.

I last used Techstream to delete warnings and cautions to get my EPB working properly again.   

To add on to this, Techstream is a very powerful tool and if you go to your nearest dealership for diagnostics, chances are very high they're also using Techstream. You can plug it in and go for a ride, log A LOT of different values to see where some issues might be. It's a very good tool to diagnose fuel supply issues, or, for example, worn injectors.

And the Techstream software itself is for free to download from Toyota, just the license costs money. You can buy the license for an hour, a day, a week, etc.

The way majority of people are doing it is they buy a J2354 (is this the correct number?) mini VCI cable and then find other ways of getting Techstream to work. Powerful tool that you're able to use anytime you want without paying absurd prices at the dealership.

P.S. Actually now dealerships have access to the same software on their phones. Really cool stuff. No more bulky PCs, just plug in a wireless transponder in OBD2 slot and do everything from the phone. This is only available to dealerships though.

• Like 1

My cable in J2534 mini VCI from eBay over 3 years ago.