Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Assistant App

danowat

I found it useful testing out my grille block in the winter as I could easily monitor the ICE/MG/inverter temperatures. Being able to see the engine speed can be useful too, and the power draw from auxiliary devices (e.g. when the aircon is running).

There's also the battery test procedure, though you need to check the website for the procedure, which is a bit awkward: http://hybridassistant.blogspot.com/p/hv-battery-check.html

• Like 1

Yes, It's quite useful to monitor engine RPM, it has improved my mpg slightly, got 78mpg (on the app) this morning, 82mpg on the dash, so I think the app is probably about right.

One of the good things it shows you, is how many times you have wasted fuel for starting the engine for less than 6 seconds.

Also how efficient your regenerative braking is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does one need to do / install to use this app with an Auris Hybrid? App link, please?

Edit: Ah, Found it. Any places to get a good price on the OBDLink LX?

I got one of these > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535547458&sr=8-3&keywords=panlong+bluetooth+obd2

Works very well for a tenner.

Back on the actual app, anyone know what determines the colour change of the "efficiency" bar? (the one that shows ICE power in kw)

45 minutes ago, danowat said:

I got one of these > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535547458&sr=8-3&keywords=panlong+bluetooth+obd2

Works very well for a tenner.

Back on the actual app, anyone know what determines the colour change of the "efficiency" bar? (the one that shows ICE power in kw)

Does that particular one turn itself off with the car so as to not drain the Battery. I.e. can I leave it plugged in for good? 🙂

13 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

It's described here: http://hybridassistant.blogspot.com/p/dashboard.html

Grey - Engine stopped
Red - Low efficiency
Orange - Medium efficiency
Yellow - High efficiency
Aqua - Best efficiency

Yeah, I get that, but what I can't figure out is how it determines this efficiency, it just seems to turn yellow / aqua / red at odd times.

3 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Does that particular one turn itself off with the car so as to not drain the battery. I.e. can I leave it plugged in for good? 🙂

As far as I know, it doesn't drain the Battery, I've had it plugged in for a week or so.

• 4 weeks later...

As we're now into September - is this app still worth the money spent on the OBD ? 😄

2 minutes ago, danowat said:

Yes

Chuckles!

Thanks Danny.....

• 1 month later...

Anyone else noticed the brake icon in HA today?! [emoji16]850e3550436b1bcad291ce68c6287e6d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried the "Tire Assistant" from the same stable?

I can connect to "Hybrid Assistant", but the "Tire Assistant" appears to not like the ODBII I have. (They only recommend the one! at £60)

Firstly, thanks for posting this as I wasn't even aware of the app! Works great on my Yaris!

You mentioned the OBDII adaptor. Well, since starting to use Torque a couple of years ago, I grew dissatisfied with the cheap eBay adaptors I was using at the time because they were so unreliable, even with Torque. The first "more expensive" one I tried was Carista and this improved things a lot. Still had the odd glitch but I could live with it. When Hybrid Assistant came out, I was still using the Carista and it worked well initially but as the app got more and more advanced, the shortcomings of the Carista started to become apparent in terms of its scan speed. Eventually and since I was using and relying on HA a lot, I bit the bullet and purchased an OBDLink LX from Amazon for £79.50 (got a -£6 promotional offer on the full £85.50 at the time) and I might add that this wasn't because of HA's recommendation, it was more to do with user reviews across a range of OBDII adaptors and I wanted the best available at the time. I am glad now that I did as the OBDLink LX has proved to be worth every penny in use and 100% reliable for what it does.

One of the major advantages of the more expensive OBDLink LX is the 3-year warranty and the fact that it can get firmware/software updates from the supplier and because of these factors, I would highly recommend it for serious/continuous use (it also has a sleep mode when the car is off).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No problem 

I've since noticed that Amazon ( How do they know what my car model is? ) have placed a warning on the obd scanner I bought, saying it isn't compatible with the Prius PHV!

So, following reviews etc, I've stumped up for the 'recommended' obd.

You must have bought something for your car from them at some point that required you to enter compatibility data?

You won't regret it. I've noticed it's a far more reasonable £66.40 now also...

PS. Note that to download firmware updates to the adaptor, you need to be using the OBDLink app just for that purpose and your device needs to have an internet connection at the time of course.

• Thanks 1

Maybe, though I don't recall!

I've also had an OBDLink LX for a few years and it works great with Hybrid Assistant and other apps. The cheap scanners are fine for just reading fault codes, but for Hybrid Assistant you need something that can reliably provide real-time data in a consistent manner, which is a lot more demanding.

I didn't know about the firmware updates, and never use the OBDLink app - must check that out!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

some advice needed, try to use hybrid assistant. app is running but no data. use elm327  bluetooth obd2 adapter and android 9 pie phone. can connect with torque pro though, thx in advance 

Hi, does any knows what is the best OBD scanner and APP for Apple ios devices? I have no any android but want to get myself one of those to check my car. 

Thanks a lot. 

Hi, does any knows what is the best OBD scanner and APP for apple ios devices? I have no any android but want to get myself one of those to check my car. 
Thanks a lot. 

For checking things like the check engine light, Carista works slowly. I use it for looking at my tyre pressure.

Still not found a decent alternative to the android hybrid assistant. For recording my journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk