Do Not Sell My Personal Information

warning message 'Charging System' with triangle buz

Mashd

Hi every body, 

I am new on this forum! i have toyota auris 1.3 petrol Reg 59 just bought two days ago , my car is displaying warning message 'Charging System' with triangle buzzer sound on dashboard when I switch on! but disappears when engine is started, i went to local garage  to get it checked , unfortunately they could not find any error code or problem!!!  Today morning when i was stuck in traffic (auto stop mode was on) suddenly engine did not turn on !!! i waited 30 seconds then i turned on engine which started but with 'engine check' light on which remained for half an hour until i switched off and on four times then it disappeared ! but Charging system warning light is still on at the time of switch on and disappears after engine starts!

So my query is : is it normal with every car with warning message of 'CHARGING SYSTEM' on?  or it could else be bigger problem?  do i need to visit toyota dear to find out the code? has anyone been with similar situation and what he did ?

Is there anyone respected member who can reply i am so worried!!

Your reply will highly be appreciated!

Mash

You bought the car from a dealer, or private seller?

The behavior is not normal, probably some issue with the alternator.

Do you have a multimeter to check the Battery voltage while car is running? 

If you bought the car from a dealer, you will some form of warranty. Take it back and have it checked. If you bought it privately, then still go to a dealer, but you will face a bill.

Hi thanks

I bought privately , and got it checked by local garage he checked Battery and everything, it was showing normal!   Suddenly it showed engine check light and disappeared later , after that Auto stop on off has stopped working! 

The original message is for a fault with the charging system. The stop/start system may not operate if the Battery doesn't have sufficient charge. 

3 minutes ago, Mashd said:

Suddenly it showed engine check light and disappeared later , after that Auto stop on off has stopped working! 

Stop/start systems (which is what I think you mean) only work when the Battery is above a certain level of charge. If you have an issue with the charging system (alternator/battery) or are doing very short journeys not allowing it to recharge then it is quite normal for those to drop out.

Stop/start systems usually require a special, heavier Battery - perhaps it isn't the correct Battery fitted?

(actually quite surprised a 2009 1.3 Auris has start/stop - my 2017 1.8 Avensis doesn't have it!)

Even after Warning message of Charging system stop /start was working nicely, and batter voltage were sufficient when i got it checked , it just stopped working today after warning message of Check engine but that message is not showing at the moment..

Do I need to go dealer or local garage can sort it out and much it may cost?   becz yesterday then could not find any error code!!

error codes only last so many starts. Also, not all garages will have equipment to fully interrogate as a dealer would.

11 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

actually quite surprised a 2009 1.3 Auris has start/stop - my 2017 1.8 Avensis doesn't have it!)

Stop/start was introduced into the Auris with the new 1.33 engine and six speed gearbox in November 2008, and continued through to the second generation.

It was also introduced to the Yaris early in 2009, but was later dropped with the introduction of the third generation Yaris with Toyota citing cost reasons.

If you have a stop/start system check the Battery. Somewhere on the Battery it should say AGM or EFB. 

thanks. 

Hi Bob, what does AGM OR EFB means , well i have not noticed yet!

i left my car at toyota dealer to get it checked , i will let you know whatever result comes.

AGM or EFB batteries are more suited to the heavier demands placed on them by the more frequent starting required by the stop/start system than conventional batteries.

Hi Mash. AGM stands for absorbed glass mat. EFB  stands for enhanced flooded Battery. Cheers.

It may require replacing the stop/start control unit which is a known problem.

Thanks to all who replied !

I got it checked by Honda Dealer paid £108 for doing nothing!   they have not found any single error code and saying nothing wrong with car !!

I can still see clearly warning message of   'charging system' with buzzer sound on dashboard when i switch on !

has anyone got similar kind of problem?

Why a Honda dealer ??

• Confused 1

It does seem odd to go to Honda for a problem with a Toyota. I would have thought you’d get better service from a dealer who actually knows the model.

Oh I am sorry i put Honda dealer by mistake ! car was diagnosed by Toyota Dealer indeed!

Anyways they could not diagnose anything!  

Today my car's engine stalls again in traffic light ! after couple of tries it stared but engine check light was on but later it disappears itself!

I am really worried if toyota dealer cant find error code then who else can do! what else could be problem , is it start stop system control unit or something else?  My car Battery is heavy duty one and starter is charging properly then what else could be ? 

Since it happens on the go, may i advise getting a cheap OBD2 reader,  so that next time it happens, you can quickly plug it in and read the code.

Maybe the code gets deleted in the meantime, and that's why they can't read it.

I was refering to something like this, paired to the phone via bluetooth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torque-ELM-327-Bluetooth-V2-1-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Diagnostic-Auto-Scanner-Code-Reader/282940682739?epid=1442054158&hash=item41e09431f3:g:oDQAAOSwhHFbMI72

Thanks Futula you are great.

Does it work on toyota auris 1.3 petrol and can it be paired with iPhone pls?

On 8/23/2018 at 2:45 PM, TAuris said:

It may require replacing the stop/start control unit which is a known problem.

Hi mate, 

If it is problem with stop/start control unit (i assume as well) then why it can not be diagnosed and why its not showing error code? Toyota dealer checked my car fully, they did not find any sort of fault/error code!

You haven't said whether the car has an AGM or EFB Battery - just that the Battery is heavy duty. Just wondering whether a heavy duty Battery is really suited to stop/start operations in place of either an AGM or EFB.  

See https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/agm-efb-explained/

Well there is not written such type of words AGM or EFB Battery  , it just says 'heavy duty specially designed for stop/start cars'  , I remember it was checked with meter showing correct required voltage current !

Luckily when i just went today  to another workshop to get it diagnosed the car showed with P2112 code that denotes ' Throttle Actuator Control System Stuck Closed'!  

Now problem is  technician could not figure it out that actually which part is not working becz there are so many causes like faulty throttle body, dirty plates, rust, insufficient electrical current etc etc..!

Thats again big problem!!

• 9 months later...

just purchased an auris 1.33 62 plate and almost immediately charging system warning light came on took it back to the dealer who replaced the Battery and took it for test drive said it was fine we picked the car up drove about 2 miles and low and behold warning light came back on so back to dealer who is now going to change the alternator will keep you posted