Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes squeaking

flembot

A few months ago my Dad replaced the front brake pads and brake rotors/discs on my car. For a little while after I noticed some squeaking whilst out driving, once in a while, when slowing down. I assumed that it was perhaps symptomatic of newly fitted brake pads and discs. 

However, within the past two months I have noticed the squeaking becoming more frequent and louder. The squeaking doesn't always occur, but when it does it can be when I am both not applying the brake or when I am applying the brake. The sound seems to be coming from the wheel on the driver side of the car but I can't be sure of that, it could be coming from both wheels.

The squeaking doesn't seem to occur when I start out driving. But after using the brakes a couple of times it then starts to occur. 

Most of the time the squeaking occurs when I am applying the brake lightly but sometimes it occurs when I am not applying the brake at al but only when I am approaching traffic lights usually, i.e. not at high speed. 

Does anyone know what the problem might be? 

Toyota Aygo 2006 Petrol 1.0 (UK)

Possibly, require some high melting point grease on the back of each pad. Not a lot, I find a little does the trick.

26 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Possibly, require some high melting point grease on the back of each pad. Not a lot, I find a little does the trick.

Interesting. What exactly does grease aim to achieve?

Look at grease as a very thick oil, a lubricant, its slippy. Brake pads are just a little loose, so they move, and meatal to metal will squeak, grease slippy, so no squeaking.  I used to use coppereaze, or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one. Do you think it would be worth having the brake caliper lubricated too?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links