Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New UK Excel Gen 4 Rattle

Jimmy6616

3 week's in and loving the car with very reasonbale fuel consumption. Had the rear glass sections tinted dark smoke which match's the black rear roof section.

However, there is a very frustrating rattle comming from the white centre section near the cup holders depending on the road surface. When I gently press the black side trim by the cup holders it stops. Anyone had similar or instructions to dismantle the white centre section and arm rest?

Jim 

Hi Jimmy,

By now I hope you have the rattle sorted. If not I suggest you go back to your dealer and let them sort it. you should not have to start dismantling a new car to cure any fault.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, Chris Dance said:

By now I hope you have the rattle sorted. If not I suggest you go back to your dealer and let them sort it. you should not have to start dismantling a new car to cure any fault.

Agree with above.

Sounds like you've been unlucky, as I've seen so other reports of rattles in a Gen 4, and I'd have thought anyone else experiencing this would have commented here.

I've certainly not had any such problems in mine, except a couple of times when it's turned out to be something in the armrest storage box.  In my Gen 3 Prius I once thought I had a rattle from the centre console, turned out to be a key I kept in the glasses storage up by the interior light.  Noises in cars are notorious for sounding as though they come from somewhere other than the true source.

• 1 month later...

First remove all the bits and pieces in glove box cubby holes etc, then check again, all sorts of silly things rattle at the right frequency, a packet of mints had me! I had plenty, sort one and another starts. Air vents tubing is a common one, remove the end plates off the dash and squeeze some foam round the tops of the tubes. Don't do as one American was going to do  after I mentioned one of the fixes. He thought I meant expanding foam 🙄 

The plastic toilet seat pulls up, easy as the wires on the outlets are short, it is normally those, some soft foam and tape. The brown soft draught sealer is good, strong adhesive. You might have to resort to doing it yourself, many of the dealers/mechanics have no idea.

and don't forget to check the glasses storage cubby by the front interior light.

Here is a picture of the removed tray, ease it up from the front. I found the plastic covers on the side of the tunnel were vibrating and pushed some soft rubber up and under the edges, those wires can do the same thing a bit of soft foam helps, its a bit poke and hope!  This chap's photo was so he could illuminate the cup holders, LED's pushed through a drilled hole near the base. Power coming from the power socket, no switch permanently lit up.

prius tray wiring.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links