Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Discs and Pads

roks

Hi All,

Changed the front disc and pads today, all went well other than the old disc was a bit frozen but an M8 bolt took care of that.

More importantly I notice that the pads not making full contact with the disc. I am guessing it will once its bedded in?

20180825_192806.jpg

Hi,

Assume you mean that lower bit just above the hub is not making full and even contact ?

How many miles have you done on them?

What does the other side of the disc look like and what is the other wheel like, just the same ?

Have you checked the pads are moving ok in those little spring carriers.

Normally would expect new pads and discs to make good even contact; however as I found out once, I got  the slide bolts mixed up and the pads were wearing in a diagonally uneven fashion.

11 hours ago, oldcodger said:

How many miles have you done on them?

Yes your assumption is correct, bit round the hub and I drove a couple miles.

My old pads were evenly worn, greased the slide pins and the rubberized one was on top.

Hi,

Wonder then if you have the slide bolts in the right way, ref our mutual post some time ago  -

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/169198-brake-slider-pins-location/?tab=comments#comment-1427124

Did your old pads look like this, mine were when I got the pins the wrong way around, even after 30-40 miles there were signs of such uneven wear and the braking did just not feel quiet right.

001062.jpg

No, my old pads are almost perfectly worn all around.

Also, the rubberized pin does not fit in the bottom, tried, only on top.

Only other thing I can do is try putting old slide pins and see if they fit in both top and bottom.

Hi,

Perhaps just give them a few more miles to bed in,  old mechanics used to say you need to do a hundred miles of normal driving to fully bed the pads in and go carefully while doing so as the  braking effect will not be as keen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update guys, looks like the rung is getting closer to the hub....ie pads making more contact wuth disc gradually. Not done any hard stops above 40 yet.

12 hours ago, roks said:

Just to update guys, looks like the rung is getting closer to the hub....ie pads making more contact wuth disc gradually. Not done any hard stops above 40 yet.

A month since your  last post  and still not bedded in ! ?  how many miles have you done ?

If after a few normal  trips or a  100+ miles they should be properly bedded in,  if using new discs and pads its a lot  quicker than when just new pads are used on old discs.

What brand disc and pads did you use  ?  assume you cleaned the typical  protective coating/film  off the discs  amd did not get any grease on the discs or pads when fitting ?

I would be concerned something is badly wrong if you feel you cannot brake hard on them by now  ???

Hi OC,

I don’t think I’ve done 100miles, more like 50, not taken any long journeys, just local supermarkets etc.

I used new Pagid discs and pads, in the box it had a warning leaflet, not to remove protective coating and that its ready to use.

Defo no grease on the surface, I did spray a bit of brake cleaner after I put everything together anyway. Also, car does seem to react to braking, did a few 40 to dead stop, abs kicks in etc.

regards

In the distant past, brake discs came with a grease type protective coating, and they had to be degreased.  However, appprox 5-6 years ago, I fitted Pagid discs to a Citroen, and they were "ready to use".  Looked to me as though they had a very thin electroplating.  Much easier to fit, and little risk of them rusting on the shelf.

On closer inspection, the right side is now in full contact however the left side still has 5mm or so left to go.

Is the left side normally less force since its further away from the mc or should it be equal on both sides?

Equal on both sides.  Are all the calipers and all slider pins working correctly?

I would suggest that if the disc and pads still have 5mm (that's half a centimetre) away from each other something isn't right.  There should be little to not gap between pads and disc - sounds to be that the caliper on that side is stuck.

Hi Ken,

There's no gap between the pads and disc....if look at the picture, its the ring around the hub. Its as if thoughthe pads weren't 100% flat.

Anyways the pads are now in full contact and there's no untouched ring around the hub now, I guess it just needed time to bed in.

I fitted new discs and pads to my iQ only last week and after a trip to work and back the next day I had a look only to find one pad hadn't touched the disc at all. 

I took it all apart again and removed the pads along with the sliding part of the caliper. The ears that stick out each end of the pad that slide in the caliper were extremely tight in the groove when compared to the old pads so I ran a file over the pad backing plate ears where they locate to remove any sharp edges and burrs from the stamping process. Didn't take much to get them sliding easily again and a dab of copper grease on them should stop them rusting in place again. 

Did both sides and found the same issue. Discs were Bosch and the pads are Mintex. Did the front brakes a few days afterwards and they all fitted fine without filing.

Craig.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links