Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which gear do you use ??

Bitch1001

I was taught to get into 4 th gear as quick as possible 

but after my long drive yesterday to blow the cobwebs out , I noticed my aygo 2 likes to be in 3rd gear until about 35/40 mph ...I'm normally in 4 th at 30 mph 

i never go by the gear indicator on dash ... just by the way I was taught , but I listened to the engine yesterday as it was responding to less gear changes and it drove lovely 

question ...how do you drive your aygo ?...?? 

I have the x shift and use the flappy paddles on the wheel in manual mode most of the time. I find if I release the accelerator just before a change the change is much less jerky. In fact it’s not jerky at all. If I drive it in E mode from start it changes far too soon and in the lower gears from 1-3 it’s quite a jerky auto shift. But E is great in traffic.

• Like 2

My x shift likes to stay in a lower gear going up hills like 3rd or 4th depending on the gradient but she changes up as soon as she can. I override it sometimes going downhill as I find that engine braking is better than using the brakes for speed control.

• Thanks 1

Went up Sutton Bank last week..Wow 1st screaming, 2nd was too low..

My x shift likes to stay in a lower gear going up hills like 3rd or 4th depending on the gradient but she changes up as soon as she can. I override it sometimes going downhill as I find that engine braking is better than using the brakes for speed control.

If you mean you select a lower gear to slow the car down you’ll harm the transmission eventually. Not advisable. You should use the brakes until you’re in the correct gear for the speed then let the car carry on in the lower gear.

Hi, i have a 2008 model, unlike you guys, never liked the newer shapes, too star trekky in my opinion, no offence guys, lol, hoping to move onto a fiat 500, my dream, come that time, but for now i absolutely love my likkle baby.

Anyway, just wanted to add my 20 cents, i seem to sit in 3rd most of the time, its my comfort gear guy! Just perfect.

5 hours ago, TotallyToto said:

Went up Sutton Bank last week..Wow 1st screaming, 2nd was too low..

Ah, Sutton Bank.. one of those awkward hills. Depends very much on the vehicle when you have a steep hill plus hairpin bends.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LNT987 said:

If you mean you select a lower gear to slow the car down you’ll harm the transmission eventually. Not advisable. You should use the brakes until you’re in the correct gear for the speed then let the car carry on in the lower gear.

Are you specifically talking about automatic transmissions? Because this is a good practice in mechanical transmissions, especially going downhill since this way you don't overheat your brakes with very serious consequences. Engine braking is a good thing guys.

• Like 2

The X-shift isn't a true automatic - its a manual transmission with an automated clutch. 

14 hours ago, LNT987 said:

10 hours ago, Byzii said:

Are you specifically talking about automatic transmissions? Because this is a good practice in mechanical transmissions, especially going downhill since this way you don't overheat your brakes with very serious consequences. Engine braking is a good thing guys.

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The X-shift isn't a true automatic - its a manual transmission with an automated clutch. 

As said by Frostyballs, I treat her more like a manual rather than an automatic apart from driving in E. If they're designed to be overridden then it won't harm the transmission.

• Like 1

2012 Fire manual. I've found I can do most of my driving in 3rd and 4th (urban stuff). I haven't taken notice of the MPH but simply listen to the engine. She's lively in third and okay in fourth - just so long as I don't change up too early. This lower gear driving has had no impact upon the MPG figures. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I have an Aygo 2 with manual gearbox. I drive it economically, which includes a permanent concern for fuel economy but also for mechanical parts and tyres. I try to do as little gear changes as possible.

For example, if a straight line is not long enough to justify a gear change, I do not shift up, I stay on the current gear and slightly over-rev the engine. What's the point of wearing expensive parts to save a few cents in fuel? I could probably use a little less fuel than I do now but I am already very happy with my fuel consumption!

On 8/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, hubrad said:

Ah, Sutton Bank.. one of those awkward hills. Depends very much on the vehicle when you have a steep hill plus hairpin bends.

The problem is the bend before the Bank, can't get a run at it..Interesting and testing drive..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TotallyToto said:

The problem is the bend before the Bank, can't get a run at it..Interesting and testing drive..

Yup, I don't think I ever had a vehicle that didn't have to be in 1st for the bend!

I like 2nd and 3rd, as it will accelerate in these gears. 4th for over 30mph plus and 5th for over 60mph.

On 8/26/2018 at 4:47 PM, LNT987 said:

If you mean you select a lower gear to slow the car down you’ll harm the transmission eventually

Not broken one yet, even after 40 years. More likely to break the car when you suffer brake fade on a long steep hill and hit something.

Sutton Bank-going up give the car in front plenty of space because a lot of people either stall or have trouble selecting a lower gear at the hairpin. On manual cars learn how to double de-clutch when changing down, faster than waiting for the synchromesh to do its job.

I remember once as I was going up the long straight seeing a nun coming down fast with a huge grin on her face. Hope she slowed for the hairpin, but she probably had friends in high places anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanD said:

Sutton Bank-going up give the car in front plenty of space because a lot of people either stall or have trouble selecting a lower gear at the hairpin. On manual cars learn how to double de-clutch when changing down, faster than waiting for the synchromesh to do its job.

I remember once as I was going up the long straight seeing a nun coming down fast with a huge grin on her face. Hope she slowed for the hairpin, but she probably had friends in high places anyway.

Great.. everyone should should have to drive up Sutton Bank as part of their test. The Sat Nav gets confused at the top and takes you on an interesting drive past Rievaulx Abbey, on a single track road to Helmsley..! Most people on here haven't a clue what I'm on about..

i had an old 1974 vauxhall viva the last time i went up sutton bank!!

i had to reset the tappets at the top!! the car only just made it😣

such memories 😀

• Like 1

Probably have to remove the engine to reset the tappets on these cars, Steve. I quite like the idea of hill climbs in our great little cars. I am going to do Staxton Hill, near Scarborough, Lythe Bank near Whitby, and Garrowby Hill, near Stamford Bridge. Littlebeck Hill, I've been told is near impossible to climb, and you will stall first time you try.  For a Town car, they are a real fun drive..

I got caught out at Sutton bank a couple of years ago in the wife's Nissan Note (a 1.2  3 cylinder) on route to Pickering. Did notice quite a few signs warning of impending doom for HGV's and caravans. Then an unusual sign with a tally of HGV's that had got stuck in the past 12 months.

I thought the road didn't seem that bad until I seen the hairpin.  Didn't see the hill after it.  Went round in 2nd gear and the engine wasn't spinning fast enough, I knew I was in trouble.  Only had the car about 2 months and never had the confidence of putting it into 1st  Just had to floor the accelerator,  turn off aircon and eco mode and grit teeth.  Boy the car did struggle.  No doubt the locals behind me were sniggering away.  

Another good series of hairpins and inclines is the Berriedale Braes on the A9.   Did them both ways in the Aygo in June.  As long as you keep the engine above 3000rpm they are an absolute hoot.:biggrin:   

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi, i have a 2008 model, unlike you guys, never liked the newer shapes, too star trekky in my opinion, no offence guys, lol, hoping to move onto a fiat 500, my dream, come that time, but for now i absolutely love my likkle baby.

Anyway, just wanted to add my 20 cents, i seem to sit in 3rd most of the time, its my comfort gear guy! Just perfect.

I am the exact same as you. I have an 08 model, had it since new never had an problems, it’s just getting the odd wear and tear at that age problem now. But I don’t like the newer model designs as much. I like the cuteness look to them. I’m really really gonna struggle changing my car. But will definitely have another Toyota. 

• Like 1