Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My very first diy Avensis service

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All,

We decided to service our Avensis ourselves yesterday, first diy service since ownership in 2015, and our first diY DIESEL service ever!!! The first 2 years were serviced by the main dealer due to the extended warranty we purchased, but at 260.00 plus for this years service, and no warranty remaining, i thought lets give it a bash. I purchased all the service parts from the main dealer by the way at a cost of 85.00 or there abouts.

It was an experience ill never forget, and bad luck seemed to prevail lol. For example, at the start, opened my drivers door to remove keys and i knocked the drivers on the jack, small dingy, partner wasnt happy, we worked on this one togeather btw! For some odd reason the front number plate fell to one side, plastic bolt decided to go, strange! And at the end of the service i dropped my oil drip container and oil went everywhere, by then id had enough, and then we noticed the passenger side mirror indicator lens was smashed, NIGHTMARE, no idea how or when it happened, does ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THESE GO FOR AT THE DEALERS? My partners impatient for after the bank holiday to ring them, he is very particular about his vehicle, we assume it was the neighbours kids and their footy ball !!! 

Anyway, process: We already had the vehicle on axles btw since we had just replaced the front discs and pads (see my last thread), okay, so, poured in some Wynns engine flush, ran engine till warm, removed bottom covers ( only window for sump area and not for oil filter on our 2010 model so had to remove whole tray, not fun! ), removed sump plug and drained oil ( very messy job and intend never to diy that again), removed oil filter ( used a big shifting spanner for this off a neighbour luckily, we assumed it’d be hand tight on and off, wasnt an easy job ), refit sump plug, assembled oil filter with new filter remembering to oil new seals and refit, didnt change air filter as we have a k&n panel filter, then went about the diesel filter which Toyota told us is scheduled for this years service ( removed air box complete, 2 bolts, 2 or 3 electical connectors, and 3 or 4 pipes later it was off, assembled new diesel filter, poured disel from old filter to new, wiped diesel on rubber seals, wasnt fun at all doing all this, put everything back including air filter housing, primed by pumping that top black thingy on top of diesel filter unit ), poured in new engine oil....this bits frustrating as TOYOTA SOLD US A 5L BOTTLE and it drank the lot, however after checking the dip stick we’re just ABOVE THE MINIMUM MARKER, how much oil does this vehicle take??? And how much more do we need??? AAGHHHH! Toyota should have known and sold us more if need be, wont be using the car until after the bank hols to get more oil and get it sorted. Moving on....we started the car, and away she started, no cut outs but the eml came on and went off after awhile, removed axles, job done. Finally finished by replacing the cabin filter with a new one.

So that is my story, othe than needed more oil, it took us in all, from 11.30am till 12.30am to fit new front discs and pads and a service with a few half brakes in between, we didnt enjoy it, and hope never to diy it again, it’ll be garage services from now on in the future, unlike my likkle Aygo, thats an easy peasy one for me lol.

Hope this thread will help somebody someday, 

AND please do let me know about

a. The wing mirror lens replacement

b. My oil top up issue

if anybody is kind enough to do so, thank you.

Sammy

• Like 2

First of all well done for the DIY service and replacing discs and pads. 

I only can ever do the easier DIY jobs of changing battery/spark plugs/air/pollen filters etc.  I don't have the tools or skills for other bigger tasks. Although I have once changed the alternator and radiator.

For oil and filter change I just take it to national tyres garage which cost £46 for the Yaris hybrid. Too messy and no tools for me to change it myself. 

Can't help with the lens, others can advise. 

Hey Sammy,

Should have filmed things, would have made a great ytube !  almost sounds like an episode of the Chuckle bros,... :biggrin:

Seems like your newer diesel a totally different beasty to the original petrol Avensis I had and even the Corollas which were so easy to work on, sounds like everything is well protected  by your sump covers which can be a pain to remove and refit partic if they use those plastic fasteners which never hold as well once reinserted.

Things always easier the second time you do such a service, now you know the potential problem areas.

• Haha 1

Hi sammy

Well done on tackling your first service in regards to the oil I do believe they hold around 6 litres. I had the same problem when the garage done the oil change on mine when my turbo was done. I have a older 2007 2.2 d-cat.

If you do the service again yourselves you could save money on getting your filters from euro car parts online and using the discount codes. I buy mann filters from them which have a really good review and are seen to be as close to oem for filtration material.

Ross

As regards the mirror indicator replacement, one could send Parts-King a pm, giving details of your car (incl reg.no) and he should be able to provide a price.

By the way, you could look at Toyota's Essential Care servicing as both cars are over five years old - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Servicing%2BUK%2BENG%2BSPART%2BBMM&utm_term=%2Btoyota %2Bservices&msclkid=216945d01d361e7c9aa01e52ae90ff5b&gclid=CIighM7xit0CFVTSGwoduTUC5Q&gclsrc=ds

Silver service equivalent to Intermediate - currently £99 for the Aygo, £120 Avensis

Gold service equivalent to Full - currently £180 for the Aygo, £200 for the Avensis.

Currently have an offer on til December 2019 - Silver service and MOT for £99.

Reference your door hitting the jack, before I work on my car I always wind the drivers window down, I can then operate, remove or insert the keys without touching the door, seat etc with my dirty hands etc.  Additionally, sometimes when you jack one corner up, it bends the body/chassis and door doesn't open or close very easily, so that situation is avoided too.

Indicator part number 81740-05050 around £67 

1AD diesel in the Avensis takes 6.3 litres of 5w30 C2 spec oil

On 8/26/2018 at 8:08 AM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

but at 260.00 plus for this years service,

As a 2010 your Avensis has been eligible for the much cheaper Essential Care services (which still fulfill Toyota's warranty requirements) for at least 2 if not 3 years ... 

For an Avensis this is normally £120 for a Silver or £200 for a Gold but they have done promotional offers too e.g. throwing in an MOT.

8 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

As a 2010 your Avensis has been eligible for the much cheaper Essential Care services (which still fulfill Toyota's warranty requirements) for at least 2 if not 3 years ... 

For an Avensis this is normally £120 for a Silver or £200 for a Gold but they have done promotional offers too e.g. throwing in an MOT.

How come my Toyota dealer didnt tell me about such offers???..hmmmm

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

How come my Toyota dealer didnt tell me about such offers???..hmmmm

because they would rather that you pay more for the same work ...

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing & scroll down.

Good news...sourced a 2nd hand mirror 2 miles from us, same year and same colour...what was the chance of that!!! T27 ‘s are very rare to come by in scrap yards. Therefore we might just replace the whole mirror. 

I do wonder though since its the outer plastic thats broken on ours, whether this plastic is attached to the mirror casing and the inner led unit is a seperate thing??? If anybody knows.

And does anyone know how to remove the mirror on these models?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links