Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear suspension creaking

ScottJ

I have a 2015 Rav 4 2.0 Diesel bought new in April 2015 from a Toyota dealership in Glasgow. 

About 9 months ago I started getting a creaking noise from the rear of the vehicle whilst driving slowly over humps in the road/slightly uneven ground etc.  This only occurs when the underside of the car is dry. At service in March of this year, my mechanic (not the dealership) suggested it may be the bushes in the trailing arm which could be creaking and to monitor how the noise progresses. He confirmed that there were absolutely no safety issues. The car was subsequently MOT’d the following month with no issues. 

Recently, the creaking has become worse so I had my mechanic have another look and he concluded that one of the bushes (offside) is showing early signs of the rubber separating from the central metal core. Toyota do not sell the bushes alone, but only the complete arm which is approx £259+vat. So, off it goes to the dealership as a possible warranty claim. 

The car was inspected this week unfortunately on a very wet day which meant that the creaking could not be heard by the mechanic. Disappointingly, his visual inspection of the bush did not identify any issue however, they have agreed to provide me with a courtesy car in October for a few days that will allow the workshop manager to run around in my car and hopefully experience and pinpoint the issue. 

The dealership mechanic did spray lubricant on the D bushes of the anti-roll bar suggesting that that may be the problem. I’ve had a couple of dry days here and the creaking is as bad as ever so that wasn’t the solution  

Does anyone know if this is a known issue with Rav4s or am I just unlucky?

Scott

Over the years there have been issues with creaking rear suspension on Rav4's - hardly surprising given the number of rubber bushes on the assembly. The trailing arm to body bush is a favourite for noise since it's mounted directly on to the body. The diagnosis can be confirmed by dousing this bush only with WD40 when squeaking is experienced - then checking for temporary improvement. Sometimes improvement can be gained by releasing the through bolt and retightening with car in it's normal position with the wheels on the ground. This ensures that the bush isn't already twisted in it's normal position.

Whilst Toyota supply very few replacement suspension bushes - they're all available aftermarket from Febest. The bush in question is around £25 - see

https://shop.febest.eu/arm-bushing-for-lateral-control-arm-tab-448.html

Hopefully, with the car under warranty, the dealer will replace the trailing arm.

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue with my Rav4 rear right popping noise when going over a bump or like the body flex I guess but only comes from the right side.... I have changed the rear shocks 2X ...the top and bottom rubber pad on the springs .....trailing arms new .....both sway bar bushings and the sway links and yet it still pops when going over a bump or pulling up into my driveway .....

• 2 weeks later...

That also links to the issue on my parents 14 plate, just buy the bush and have it replaced, Toyota won’t sell them to you, but they are easy to obtain from 3rd party sellers and any reasonable garage can press the old one out and new ones in for what should be a minimal labour charge.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links