Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota avensis d4d 04 died on the free way now won't start

Crave

Hi 

I have a Toyota Avensis d4d 2004, my problem is it just won't start after the engine died as I tried to downshift on the free way, I had to tow the car home and j noticed if I engage in gear while it's in motion and release the clutch it will start but won't idle but if I rev it, it will respond. May you please help out if anyone has a clue what's wrong with my baby

Read it almost 10x, still don't understand what you wanted to say.

If you pull start the car, and release the clutch, the car starts, but does not idle, so you keep it "alive" by revving it?

Are there any other issues besides this? How does the car sound when you get it to run, normal?

When I pull start it the engine comes alive and can keep it alive by reving before this problem the idling was normal even the sound

12 minutes ago, furtula said:

Read it almost 10x, still don't understand what you wanted to say.

If you pull start the car, and release the clutch, the car starts, but does not idle, so you keep it "alive" by revving it?

Are there any other issues besides this? How does the car sound when you get it to run, normal?

Yes I keep it alive by reving once I stop revving the engine dies before this the idling was a bit rough but maintained 800 rpm

How did it die? Did you do the money shift? For example tried to downshift to 3rd but accidentally put into 1st?

31 minutes ago, Flam Jong Un said:

How did it die? Did you do the money shift? For example tried to downshift to 3rd but accidentally put into 1st?

No I was approaching a robot hit the clutch then engine died

Did you change the Battery recently, or did something with the MAF sensor/ replaced the air filter?

so, why can you only start it by pulling it? If you turn the ignition to start do you hear the starter turn?

Btw, are you in South Africa (robot=traffic light?)?

On 8/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, furtula said:

Did you change the battery recently, or did something with the MAF sensor/ replaced the air filter?

I changed the Battery recently about a month ago

1 hour ago, Crave said:

I changed the battery recently about a month ago

After the Battery was changed, did you start the car and let it idle for 20 minutes, so that the ECU would re-learn the idle position?

If you haven't done that, and you think the problems  started after changing the Battery, disconnect the Battery for 10 minutes, reconnect, start car and let it run for 20 minutes, then try driving it.

52 minutes ago, furtula said:

After the battery was changed, did you start the car and let it idle for 20 minutes, so that the ECU would re-learn the idle position?

If you haven't done that, and you think the problems  started after changing the battery, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, reconnect, start car and let it run for 20 minutes, then try driving it.

Thank you will try that and give feedback 

So I have changed scv and filters and it started but now If I kill the engine it won't start unless I prime the diesel

So it turns out my diesel primer is the one giving me problems will have to find new one 

• 7 months later...

For the benefit of those who might encounter a similar issue, it turns out my primer had no issues but the fuel pump is the one that had failed so I bought a new one and the engine came to life with even more power. Before it's failure  I was in the middle of diagnosing loss of power but after fitting the new pump the car has regained all its power

thank you for posting the solution to your problem - so often people never come back & let others know what worked or didn't.