Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 3 vs Gen 4 load space

mpm235

Which is better for load space, Gen 3 or Gen 4? (With the rear seats in place). Is one clearly better than the other? Or is it similar? (I'm thinking of the future, when it comes time to replace my beloved Gen 2). Load space is very important for me. Thanks. Mark

The Prius+ is the way to go if you want load space. 

• Like 1

I think both Gen3 & 4 are the same for flat area when you lift the tailgate, but my Gen3 had load area below the floor, whereas the Gen4 is very limited under the floor.

Because of the shape of Gen 4 (and other factors) you get potentially more mpg then Gen3, and Prius+ suffers even more due to its shape.

• Like 1

As Catlover says, tne main cabin area is very much the same. I can't remember any significant change from  Gen 2 to Gen 3 to Gen 4. 

However, Toyota seems determined to progressively reduce all the incidental storage over time. There was some loss between Gen 2 and Gen 3, but I can"t remember the details.

However, the change was more significant from Gen 3 to Gen 4. The double glove box is now single and much smaller. The underfloor boot storage is non-existent in the Gen 4, where it has been replaced with a very expensive slab of polystyrene foam. Door pockets in the Gen 4 seem to have shrunk, especially in the back.

On the other hand, the Gen 4 is a much better car to drive than both predecessors. It also gets much better mpg, while the Gen 3 only had marginal improvement over the Gen 2, probably due to the increase in wheel size from 16 inches to 17 inches.

• Like 1

Prius+ mpg is almost the same as the Gen 2. 

Prius+ average on Fuelly = 49 mpg.       2008 Gen 2 average = 51.2

Gen 2 slightly better but not much.