Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thought's on 0w16 oil

interested313

Hello,

I carry out my own oil changes with 0w20 Toyota engine oil, recently browsing for oil on Opie Oils i came across Motul Hybrid 0w16 engine oil, which its says should be compatible with cars that use 0w20.  Any thoughts/discussion would be appreciated out of interest. 

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-124228-motul-hybrid-0w-16-engine-oil-for-hybrid-cars.aspx

Motul Hybrid 0w-16 Engine Oil - For Hybrid Cars

Motul Hybrid 0w-16 is a fully synthetic fuel economy engine oils specifically designed for Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV) and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) fitted with recent gasoline engines, turbocharged or naturally aspirated, direct or indirect injection, designed to use SAE 0w-20 oil with low friction and very lot HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) viscosity.

Suitable for modern gasoline engines requiring viscosity grade SAE 0w-20 lubricant or a fuel economy lubricant in viscosity grade 20: Standards API SN. 

Compatible with catalytic converters. 

If the car is within its new car warranty, not sure this would meet Toyota's requirements.

The description says that it is intended for use in Toyota (and Honda) hybrids. However, I would be very reluctant to use it while your Auris is still under warranty, unless I knew that this grade had Toyota approval. It has API SN rating, which should be OK, but I'd still want it confirmed.

I've got no problems with Motul oils, I've used them a lot in the past. Although I've had my car serviced at the dealer for many years now, I usually take my own oil. This started with a Renault Laguna diesel that had 18,000 mile sevice intervals and specified semi-synthetic oil. I bought an electric oil extractor, and changed the oil mid-service using fully synthetic Motul oil from Opie. As this was a lot cheaper, and better, than the dealer supplied stuff, I took it to the dealer for the full service, and have done so ever since.

I carried on using Motul oils until they suddenly jumped in price, when I switched to Total Quartz 9000. Between these two oils, they have covered well over 300,000 miles ( of around 435,000 miles) for hybrids in our family.

I've also uset Toyota oil for two or three services when it was available at a very reasonable price from a Toyota dealer on eBay, but I prefer to use oil from one of tbe major producers.

I now use Shell Helix Ultra, because it is available from Opie at a good price, and more importantly, I don't think any other company matches the amount of R & D that Shell puts into its lubricants. I'd  have switched to this much earlier, but they have only recently started producing a 0w20 oil.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but the facelift 2019 Prius will be factory filled with 0W-16. Haven't seen anything to suggest this can or cannot be used for older models where 0W-20 is specified.

I believe Toyota use Mobil to produce their 0W-20 and 0W-16 oil, albeit to a different/better spec to standard Mobil 1 you can purchase off the shelf.

According to the owners manuals for the 2019 Corolla, 0W-20 is the preferred oil for petrol versions, and 0W-16 for hybrids.