Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Pitch Noise Coming From My Toyota Auris D4D Spirit

Surrey_James

Hi Everyone,

I have a Toyota Auris (57 plate) which has started making a really strange noise. I have uploaded some dash cam footage of the noise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziyZIBjlC2M

It is quite a loud sawing/grinding noise that seems to occur when I drive around 40mph or more. The noise generally comes and goes but what I did notice is;

- The noise stops when I apply the brake, please see from 10 seconds onwards and you'll hear the noise goes away

- The noise tone changes when I steer to the left

It sounds like the noise is coming from the engine. It is really frustrating to hear when I am driving however and I want to get it fixed. Does anyone know:

1) Why is my car making that noise?

2) What would need repairing to get rid of the noise

3) How much could that set me back if I get it fixed?

Many Thanks,

Surrey_James

If its dependent on road speed and steering direction it's probably not related to the engine. More likely to be a brake binding slightly, particularly if it goes away when braking. 

Could even be something simple as a piece of wood jammed and rubbing on something, but when you turn wheel to the left there is no more contact.

I would identify which side it is coming from, take that wheel down, and visually inspect it.

There were people with problems like a piece of rock jammed between the heat shield and brakes, or some wood etc.

My first thought would be the brakes, given the sound and the behavour you've described.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links