Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rear heat shield (avensis 2009)

James Turner

I have a 2009 avensis tourer. The rear heat shield from the exhaust system has fallen off; it appears to be made from aluminium and the bolts had corroded. Can anybody answer how essential this actually is?

If it's a heat shield attached to the body then usually the shield corrodes/wears around the bolts and eventually the nut heads pull through it.  Often they can be refitted by using big washers.

• Like 1

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Avensis club.

Hello Alan333, Yes this is just what has happened. The house in the aluminium cover are rather large but i will try some big washers

Thanks for the suggestion

ditched mine about 18 months ago after a few previous patch ups it was just too far gone,    with the intention of making something to replace it... never got round to it and been alright since.

mine a 2.0 d4d doesnt create enough exhaust heat to bother the plastic fuel tank,, dont know about the other engine variants

• 5 months later...

Hi guys.

I'm having the same issue. It looks tight between the back box and the securing bolts for the shield, does the box need to come off to try the big washer thing?

Mine is also a 2.0 D4D and I considered just removing the shield, but my fuel tank has a repair close by, is that a concern? It was done prior to me getting it so no idea what was used.